S.2948 - Small Business Empowerment Act
A bill to provide quality, affordable health insurance for small employers and individuals. view all titles (2)
All Bill Titles
- Short: Small Business Empowerment Act as introduced.
- Official: A bill to provide quality, affordable health insurance for small employers and individuals. as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 2
- Past Seven Days: 2
- All-Time: 2,438
Official SummarySmall Business Empowerment Act - Directs the Secretary of Health and Human Services to establish a national program to make quality, affordable health insurance available to small employers and self-employed individuals in a manner that will spread risk on a national basis, modeled on the f
Official SummarySmall Business Empowerment Act - Directs the Secretary of Health and Human Services to establish a national program to make quality, affordable health insurance available to small employers and self-employed individuals in a manner that will spread risk on a national basis, modeled on the federal employees health benefit program.Requires the Secretary to enter into a contract with an eligible entity for administration of the program. Authorizes such administrator to provide health insurance coverage to employees of participating employers and individuals. Directs such administrator to:
(1) establish a pilot program to provide for the offering by carriers of a model health benefits plan; and
(2) contract with the Institute of Medicine to assess the impact of the program on health care coverage costs and access.Sets minimum standards for program health benefits plans. Directs the Secretary to prescribe regulations providing for employer participation.Establishes the National Health Coverage Commission. Includes among Commission duties:
(1) developing a model that ensures adequate coverage for medically necessary services, promotes disease and chronic disease management, and provides incentives for health provider compliance with best practices protocols; and
(2) developing model cost sharing mechanisms that do not discriminate and that accommodate lower income individuals.Directs the Secretary and the program administrator to implement an educational campaign concerning the program.Requires the Secretary to:
(1) establish a program to provide reinsurance to qualified carriers offering plans under this Act;
(2) make specified large claim payments (from the Small Business Health Coverage Trust Fund established by this Act) and annual payments to such carriers; and
(3) require the payment of monthly assessments by each issuer offering health insurance coverage.
...Read the Rest