S.3706 - Americans Want to Work Act

A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.
  • Short: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.

• Spam Comment

• jgallop 10/14/2010 2:41am

• jgallop 10/14/2010 4:03am

• sclark113 10/14/2010 4:33am

Tier V Unemployment Extension – the New Homeless

• davidak 10/14/2010 5:11am

• sclark113 10/14/2010 6:41am

2010 Unemployment Extension – Weekly Unemployment New Claims Numbers Are Bleak

• adamaiken 10/14/2010 8:33am

It’s bad out there, really bad. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if the lack of responses I am getting from all the applications I am doing is any indication of what it is like for everybody else, then God Help Us!

MrsChang 10/14/2010 11:23am

That sounds so familiar. The permanent openings don’t reply, neither do the temp or part-time openings. And the agencies don’t call. What to do next? A BK filing, maybe? And a search for a tent city? It’s hard to stay calm.

And as for the elections, we don’t really have choices. Of course, we can squabble about political parties, but that doesn’t pay the rent.

adamaiken 10/14/2010 12:18pm

I know exactly what you are saying. My heart is in my mouth every day now.
    I am living off of equity in my home and if I do not start paying it back, I am going to lose everything I have. If they had passed Tier 5, I would have survived a while longer. I would not be at this point. I never dreamed this day would come but it has.

MrsChang 10/14/2010 12:35pm

What an awful situation you are in! A house costs so much more than a car, for instance, and you lose quite a bit if you have to let go of it. My being a renter helps a bit, provided my Social Security kicks in on time. It’s still several months down the line. Maybe we all need to explore economic alternatives, since we have been ignored by the politicians.

bethclambert 10/14/2010 10:43pm

I’m STILL right there with you Mrs.Chang, only I have 22 months to go before my SS kicks in! I agree, I’m happy I’m a renter for the first time! It’s awful, people don’t even bother to respond to resumes in any form any more, no matter, how much experience you have, how good your resumes are or how great your references are. The people out there who are new to this hell (2.5 years for me now) are just starting to understand and feel the panic, self-recriminations and horror that we have all been feeling forever. I feel bad for them, because it is such a nasty roller coaster until you can finally accept that its not getting better anytime soon, I just take one day at a time now, do the best I can, and have learned to accept that.

MrsChang 10/15/2010 8:11am

Hi bethclambert,

This predicament reminds me of a ship in rough seas that has to keep ejecting cargo in order to stay afloat. That’s us having to give up what we were used to, in order to keep surviving. That being the case, you’re right about taking it one day at a time. There’s not much room for planning because the future is out of our control.

I guess we’ll all have to use the safety net, if it’s still there for us. Food stamps seems to be accessible. Maybe general assistance is next. Or maybe, just maybe, there’s a job in our future!

HopefromCA 10/14/2010 4:04pm

adamaiken
    Would you be better off selling the house before its too late? I have some friends of mine that didn’t listen to me when I told them to sell the house and they waited too long to do anything about it. We all have to be realistic about how long we can make the house payment and if we can’t make it six months ahead of time then its time to put it up for sale before all equity is completely lost. Other friends of mine didn’t have any equity left so they just let the house foreclose and lived in it for free for 18 months and saved the money for the first and last rent deposit and the cleaning deposit.

HopefromCA 10/14/2010 3:57pm

adamaiken
    One thing I noticed is that I am getting most of my responses from submitting my resume through a fax machine. Another thing is that I am being told that jobs that are posted electronically only get 4% success rate so I am going door to door and calling other people I know if they might know of someone hiring or thinking of hiring.
    I feel from some of my phone interviews and physical interviews that some companies are just fishing to see what talent is being offered and what wages we are willing to accept for that level of talent.

• jgallop 10/14/2010 11:13am

• jgallop 10/14/2010 11:30am

• jgallop 10/14/2010 11:36am

Beware voting Republican in November they will shove the unemployed under the bus, guaranteed.

• bugsy166 10/14/2010 12:16pm

Check out this link 99ers its a very good report regarding the fundamentals of the RECESSION!

\http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/recession-270911-unemployment-president.html

bethclambert 10/14/2010 10:34pm

This is an excellent article and anyone who doesn’t “get it” should read this. However, if you cut and paste, make sure to leave the first slash off the address!

TL3390 10/15/2010 5:05am

That’s a great article! It should certainly be read by those who think the current President doesn’t share in the blame or those who think the sky will fall if Republicans are elected.

• JenG 10/15/2010 6:51am

These special interests are making a brazen attempt to buy our elections, and the Chamber of Commerce is leading the way. They’ve already aired more than 8,000 television ads and have pledged to spend a record-breaking $75 million dollars from sources they won’t disclose, including foreign corporations and governments.

TL3390 10/15/2010 7:15am

Ladies and Gentleman, today’s winner for the Democratic poster using unsubstantiated facts and links to liberal sites instead of real news- JenG!

Jen, that’s a cute link you posted. “Spewman” is the fictitious character played by Hollywood actor Jack Black, right?

Two problems here: Number one, there’s ZERO mention of any unemployment-related issues in that link. It’s about health care.

The second issue is that the Chamber of Commerce issue is a lie. It kind of sucks when facts get in the way of a good story, right? Here’s a link to a grown-up news site (The NY Times), where it is mentioned that the Chamber has done nothing out of the ordinary, illegal, or wrong.

Try getting your news from unbiased sources. You know, newspapers and such. Otherwise, go hang out on Moveon.org or the DailyKos.

JenG 10/15/2010 3:06pm

The chamber, one of Washington’s most influential lobbying groups, emerged from the background of the midterm elections this week, spending millions of dollars on ads to help Republicans and fending off Democratic allegations that the effort may include money collected from foreign firms.

(WATCH: A collection of the Chamber’s ad attacks)

The chamber told the Federal Election Commission that it spent $10.5 million in about 30 House and Senate races, an effort that primarily helps Republicans. The disclosure marks the opening of the floodgates for the business group, which has spent $25 million since the primaries and has vowed to spend up to three times that much by Election Day.

TL3390 10/15/2010 3:39pm

“We spent a fortune to elect Barack Obama — $60.7 million to be exact — and we’re proud of it,” boasted Andy Stern, president of the Service Employees International Union, to the Las Vegas Sun this week.

The Chamber of Commerce could spend another $25 million and still not spend the money that ONE union spent to elect our current President. What’s the difference between the SEIU donating to the Democrats and the Chamber donating to the Republicans?

To this day, the Democrats have offered no proof whatsoever to the allegations of foreign money. Again, read the NY Times link above to see that the Chamber has done nothing, wrong, illegal, or out of the ordinary.

TL3390 10/15/2010 3:39pm

This quote from the article Jen posted pretty much sums it up:

“This is an orchestrated and deliberate attempt to push a non-story to make it appear to be a story,” he said. “They want to put people that we support on defense and use the red meat of foreign money to do it.”

Your posts have are not only inaccurate, but they have ZERO to do with unemployment issues.

• adamaiken 10/15/2010 8:17am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I am not able to do anything now. The market is frozen. The house next door is on the market for two years, they walked away from it and are living somewhere else. The house across the road is on the market about 4 years now. The one down the road just sold after 4 years on the market. Several others are now in foreclosure. It is sickening. It is like Jessie Ventura said, both parties are ignoring us and if there was a third party they would ignore us as well.

• adamaiken 10/15/2010 8:20am

I spent the past six hours applying for jobs online. It seems that all these attempts are futile. Some of the jobs require online applications and they make the process so difficult and tedious. Looking for a job is the hardest job one can ever have. We are living a modern day version of The Grapes of Wrath. I just wish I wasn’t the one on the bottom looking for grapes to pick.

TL3390 10/15/2010 8:32am

Adam, it seems the only field that is thriving is the IT field. Every other job opening I see online is IT-related. I would highly recommend to anyone who can afford to do so to look into take IT classes at a tech school.

adamaiken 10/16/2010 12:56pm

Thanks, TL, you lit a fire under me. I am going back into IT. I have been out of it for a few years so I thought it was closed to me but hell, I am going to lie and back up my lies and do what I have to, to get back in.
    This is do or die. You opened my eyes, thanks.

• sclark113 10/15/2010 9:57am

Latest DOL Report for Benefits Claims Supports Unemployment Extension and Tier V

Send Your Senator a Letter