S.3706 - Americans Want to Work Act

A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.
  • Short: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.

• sclark113 10/15/2010 10:09am

Advocates For Jobless Ready For Looming Unemployment Fight

• sclark113 10/15/2010 10:19am

Sign the Petition to Congress! Extend the Federal Unemployment Insurance Programs

MrsChang 10/15/2010 10:37am

My reading of this is that it ignores the 99ers, as usual. I’m not signing their petition. This group bailed out on us a long time ago. But if you’re not a 99er, then that’s another story.

shellcia 10/15/2010 11:26am

Mrs Chang, you are correct…their only mention of us is that they support food stamps etc…Nothing on this bill at all…now they expect us to sign a petition. It appears that they only support what they think will be passed but when it comes to a real fight they are nowhere to be found.

WasMiddleClass 10/15/2010 12:04pm

I have dealt with some at NELP many times over the past few years.

They determined some time ago that another tier was almost impossible politically now…

They provided much help to get the tiers we have and I thank them for that.

MrsChang 10/15/2010 1:24pm

You’re still kind to NELP.

My impression at the beginning was that they seemed to have an in with Congress, they were given attention when they presented the plight of the unemployed. Wow, where did they get this kind of credibility with lawmakers?

And then, strangely enough, they began to ignore the 99ers, first saying we would have to wait till everybody else got their extensions through November, then they could work on a Tier 5. But now, they’re still only paying attention to those who are not 99ers.

Possibly they have a modus vivendi with Congress to take care of some of the unemployed, ignore the 99ers, and eventually everyone will be a 99er but only those getting unemployed afterwards will get any attention. We will be forgotten. Well, I have a suspicious mind.

MrsChang 10/15/2010 1:28pm

In the end, it’s neither here nor there. Our ship is sinking and we can only focus on saving ourselves, economically AND otherwise. Since Congress and NELP routinely ignore us now, it’s up to us to come up with solutions. Methinks there will be a variety of solutions. As long as we all survive.

WasMiddleClass 10/15/2010 2:13pm

Wethinks what we will. Sadly what we think will not help all those homeless people this winter most likely…

• WasMiddleClass 10/15/2010 11:45am

I read various political ideas all over. Sadly none give any glimmer of hope for all those that are already homeless or will be soon.

Every single one of our elected leaders should be screaming about all the unemployed people, all the families, that are becoming homeless in their districts, the people they were elected to represent…but they ignore the truth.

As those of us unemployed still online continue to fight to make our voices heard, we feel more alone all the time…

I was sent this link…it helped me…maybe it will help other readers here feeling abandoned by our country…

There are MILLIONS of us out there, even if we don’t see most of them
    online…

Ingrid Betancourt: ‘I felt less than an animal’

• rosebud 10/16/2010 3:37am

An idea to those on this board that have a house and concerned with losing it. How about taking in boarders? Advertise at shopping centers, looking for roommates. I was reading a while back as a result of this high unemployment situation about the practicalness of the 60’s commune style of living. The larger the group, the cheaper it is to live and if you are fortunate to have land to farm, so much the better for food sources, even if it’s just produce. Think about it. It’s something that agencies, shelters and the unemployment office should think about helping with. It doesn’t have to be a house that anyone owns, it could be a rentals.

• rosebud 10/16/2010 3:43am

My mother’s parents were immigrants to this country in the early 1900’s. She was born in 1928. But they bought a few of the lots on their block when they moved here and had a small farm, chickens, a cow, bees, grew their own produce. Sold the excess. Considering the times my mother had a good life. My father’s family had been in this country for centuries and did not fare well thru the depression. My mother’s family was closer to the land, more resourceful and self sufficient. Something to think about for those that still have some money and can afford to rent with a few other people or still have a home and can take in borders.

nancym 10/16/2010 10:15am

Funny, I was just thinking about that myself. I’m stuck in my present place for now, but going forward I know I cannot keep paying the amount of rent and electric I am paying now and manage to survive into old age on the little SS I would get later on, and that’s even if I got a decent job by next year and worked until I couldn’t work anymore.

I’m not a fan of communes, but the idea of getting some like-minded seniors together for future survival, similar to what younger college students do, may be the only way a lot of us can go forward.

nancym 10/16/2010 10:17am

I also learned that my little town has a new community garden. I haven’t visited there yet or know just how it works, but it’s on my survival list, as well as maybe a good way to get out of the house and do something not only money-saving, but fun.

MrsChang 10/16/2010 11:14am

There are many survivalist groups getting ready for TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it), and planning the formation of mutual help groups. However, for the “old and unemployed” like us, TEOTWAWKI is happening right now. It’s a good time to form misery-loves-company groups, I guess, or maybe barter-type associations like the unemployed union during the Great Depression.

nancym 10/16/2010 11:47am

That’s the trouble with many of those groups; it’s either one extreme or another—idealistic, hippie-style communes or else right-wing armed and ready groups. Any survival group I’d be interested in would be just those who want to survive sanely. :)

MrsChang 10/16/2010 1:31pm

Of course. Some of them recommend all kinds of equipment, too, and good grief, who can afford that? Also, there’s this idea of preparing a remote retreat, like we could buy land and build a house? We can barely afford our rent.

We’re going to have to be mighty creative, even if we also feel the need to prepare for the worst.

Abaratarrr 10/16/2010 12:22pm

beets starving/freezing to death, or living in a homeless shelter.

check ebay you can insure you don’t starve or freeze and are able to live comfortably on SS. That is what we did.

adamaiken 10/16/2010 12:58pm

Good for you , Abaratarr

MrsChang 10/16/2010 1:41pm

I’ve read Jim Dakin’s blog about surviving on the cheap. He bought land in Nevada and a couple other states, lots that he purchased for very low prices, and he decided to settle in Elko, Nevada to wait for the worst to come. However, he’s also quite disciplined, and he’s in his 40s, so he can still manage the lifestyle.

There was a time when I was searching out cheap land in California, about two years ago when I still had some cash. However, I was the only one interested and didn’t want to go it alone, not at my age. But if you can manage to pull this off, it’s a great idea!

nancym 10/16/2010 5:47pm

Right, it’s a different story for any of us who can’t manage certain types of physical labor, even if we could afford the spot of land. I’ve had back problems since I was in my twenties, in spite of all kinds of exercise and physical therapy. I simply don’t lift anything over 20 lb. and I’m ok. Community gardening is about all this gal could manage in terms of those kinds of ventures. So any kind of really remote living for a single senior like me is out of the question. And as for living “off the grid,” that means no or slow Internet, and that would cut off the little bit of income I do have. So some kind of compromise shared situation might be the only option, even if it’s in another country (one that’s not too dangerous!)

MrsChang 10/16/2010 5:58pm

I guess that’s why my guys were not really interested. They knew they’d have to do the heavy lifting for me. :)

That 10/17/2010 2:57am

I anticipated this was going to be a long drawn out thing back in 07, When I was layed off I bought a used RV (small) and moved out of my 2500.00 per month house, That helped me bank cash away for the long term, RV parks vary in price, I am currently at one near Kingman AZ that the rent is 135.00 per month, There is a place near Niiland CA Known as “Slab City” you can live for free, Just bring a tent if you dont have a RV or sleep in your car, Google it its very interesting. Also I bought a long range Wifi antenna, And went from paying 40.00 per month to Zero for high speed internet.

That 10/17/2010 3:08am

Anyone who wants to learn how to live well for Dirt cheap! ask me, I have been doing it for three years now, There are all kinds of little tricks to it, I can save you some headaches and cash with what I have learned.

jgallop 10/17/2010 4:42am

All I know is when this Cap & Trade finally gets through we won’t be able to afford electricity, mine has already jumped by almost half because of the dozen wind turbines being put up in the area. heating is unbelievable, living in a RV sounds like the way to go , down sizing never bothered me. It’s pretty sad when you own your home free and clear but can’t afford to heat it or turn on the lights..

sclark113 10/17/2010 3:36am

That

Very interested in how your long range Wifi works as everybody can save $$$ with this. Are you piggybacking on someone else’s access (i.e. like Starbucks or something like that?) or do you have direct access to the web somehow? I know I could save $40 a month on cable access if I made the investment and payback would be a couple of months right? I would be more than happy to write an article for Associated Content and publish info to get the word out if I can get a better idea of what’s required. You can email me directly at sjclark113@aol.com

That 10/17/2010 4:39am

@sclark I sent you a Email, I was selling these to RVers and Truckers for 125.00 about a year ago, But I think I can get them for 85.00 to my fellow unemployed, I dont have a set price from suppliers right now but it seems the prices are going down and the antennas are getting better, If enough people are interested I will get a set price.

sclark113 10/17/2010 4:48am

That, thanks for the email. I will contact you in the background to see if we can get some very valuable info posted for others. At $40 a month for cable free access at $85 is about a two month payback and then free from there – I know many will struggle to come up with $85, but it remains a very viable long term option for many to be able to stay in touch with job search boards and to continue to fight the fight and to have access to news and current events. Thanks again!

nancym 10/17/2010 6:29am

Yes, thank you, That. It’s always good to know what options we have.

Here in the East I think it may be more common to find overlapping WiFi networks in urban areas that make access easier. I don’t know about other areas, but here in my town in South Florida we have a city WiFi cloud that covers everyone east of I95. That’s of course in addition to all the Starbucks and other restaurants, etc. I think even MacDonald’s just started free WiFi here too. Currently I use the city one only for emergencies when my cable goes out, since the little work I do is remote and uses large files that need the extra bandwidth. But it’s good to know there are other possibilities, especially when I finish with school.

And I can’t resist mentioning that one of the big goals of the Obama administration (if they could ever get anything through Congress) is to expand broadband access. I think some things were in the ARRA about that, but I don’t recall the specifics now.

nancym 10/17/2010 6:15am

Interesting. How far is “long range.” And how big is this thing—have to put it outdoors?

That 10/17/2010 6:37am

@nancym
    its 2’ long directional antenna (you aim it at a access point) It incorporates its own Wifi card via USB port so you load the driver off the CD and plug it into your USB port and its ready to go, If you are in San Diego you can probably just use the included omni antenna, I am at least 6 miles from a access point where I am right now, using the directional antenna I get high speed connection 90% of the time, that means I can watch streaming video without it freezing to buffer.

I have used signals from 20 miles away but couldn’t do more than email, It is line of sight so it wont be getting signals thru mtn’s you should expect to get 100% High speed where you are, And you shouldn’t have to put it outside.

Send Your Senator a Letter