S.3706 - Americans Want to Work Act

A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: A bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits and cut taxes for businesses to create hiring incentives, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.
  • Short: Americans Want to Work Act as introduced.

FLarlene 10/24/2010 9:21am

Sigh, Nancy, I agree with you.
    Wanted to give you a heads up about what the AARP SCSEP program is like.
    Because the economy here in Florida is so bad, non-profits are taking advantage of that. Where SCSEP was initially and should be now, a program for people returning to the workforce, non-profits are very picky about those whom they accept. Hello, they are getting free labor.
    I worked for a week at the gift shop at the Dunedin Fine Arts Center. I have had little retail experience.
    After a week or two, the gift shop manager told AARP that she wanted someone who could run a gift shop, and needed a better fit.
    I really think these folks receiving the free labor are taking advantage of the system, and would love to know what I can do about it.

nancym 10/24/2010 9:32am

Good grief, so now they want a manager for free?! They should be treating the SCSEP people like precious volunteers. The attitude of employers in general in this country has degenerated into abysmal, with some exceptions here and there. But this economic strain all around has certainly shown up the worst of them.

I don’t know what you can do about it, other than give some feedback to the feds, or your congressman, since it is at least partly stimulus money. The problem may be with the people in charge of those programs simply not really knowing what they are doing. I don’t know about over there, but the ones I met here in the Workforce office seemed like elderly volunteers themselves, well-meaning, but perhaps more used to working for charity events than anything to do with business services.

FLarlene 10/24/2010 9:52am

Nancy, that is exactly what the non-profits want at this time. A manager for free and then some.
    It seems that they and not AARP SCSEP are calling the shots.
    I actually applied for a position at the Clearwater Housing Authority and was told that I did not have enough administrative assistant experience. I have good experience with Word, and can answer phones but, oh well.
    SCSEP in Palm Harbor is trying more to please the host agencies than trying to place people who need to work.
    I find that disgusting that the non-profits are taking advantage of a bad economy. I find it more disgusting that AARP is letting them.

HopefromCA 10/24/2010 10:06am

Nancym and FLarlene
    I am seeing some of the same things myself. After I had applied for a job at a certain company I was told by one of my fellow students at school that this certain company was laying off top qualified employees with very high pay and hiring another top qualified potential employees with much lower pay for the same job. So now I am competing with other top qualified persons that are recently laid off. Bottom line is we need jobs, jobs, and jobs.

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 9:35am

You are correct in that people that have less money that make charitable contribution give a larger % of their income to charities them people with more money.
    I was talking about older people and conservatives are more likley to donate to non-profits then young people and people with more liberal ideals. Today the front page of opencongress talks about how old people and conservatives are ignorant

“The percentage of Americans who give money increases with income, age and educational attainment.”
    “Those who donate only money represent a quarter of the total population. Half of them live in urban areas, and about a third have at least a college degree. Among all the segments, they are the most likely to be white and married, and a third of them have household incomes of $75,000 or more.”

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 9:54am

I should have said “people less likely to make charitable donations” instead of “do not believe in charitable donations”

n0bama4me 10/24/2010 7:40pm

logic, reason, morals, ethics, laws, regulations, and common sense – make no sense to ignorant liberals. i read his post and it made perfectly clear sense to me… the losing group knows whats coming and they are trying to spin it the other way but now its too difficult to spin now that people are fed up and the truth is out… obviously there is a money problem too why not just shut it down if nancy and 5 other people are the only frequent open congress “contributors.”

• WasMiddleClass 10/24/2010 7:15am

Oh stop it please. It does not cost all that much to keep a site up…..

I think this site would be best with NO ties to anyone that employs lobbyists………

Then we would really have open.

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 6:54am

my paranoid little noggin was figuring that the opencongress staff were upset that that there wasn’t much good news about their favorite political cult coming out so they were going to just shut the site down till after the election, to prevent any more damage to their cult. I know that is totaly basless just my first(and wrong) conclusion after the site wouldn’t take comments after a few days.

It looks like opencogress is having some money problems, I think it mostly stems from their bloggers who pander to people that do not believe in charitable donations while consistently bashing groups that are more likely to donate money to non-profits. I think if opencongress would have stuck to the unbiased principles that were in place when this place was first launched by the sunlight foundation(awesome group) they would get all the donations they need.

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 8:57am

I was just referring to their bloggers requests for money to in order to keep the site up and running.
    &
    “As our community has grown, we’ve held OpenCongress together with grants from our terrific founding supporter, the Sunlight Foundation, and a few micro-donations… but we’ve reached the limit of what we can do with our current resources. So today, we need your help :: "

a little while back every time you visited this site or looked at a different page you were hit with a pop up asking for money. I admit that i much prefer the donate now banner up top to the pop ups. The sunlight foundation gave them the money to get set up but it sounds like that money is all gone,
  • HopefromCA 10/23/2010 7:29pm

Hello everyone
    We need to figure out where we want to keep communicating if opencongress decides to shut down for good.

nancym 10/23/2010 8:45pm

I don’t think these forums are going away real soon, but in case of server outages or other emergencies, many people post on http://www.unemployedstatesofamerica.com/ and I guess the Unemployed Friends website.

Floridians can always go to our Florida forum at http://unemployed-florida.topdiscussion.com/forum.htm

• Sher1 10/24/2010 10:04am

REMINDER: “Unemployment and the 99ers” will be on 60 Minutes this Sunday night–Oct. 24, 7 p.m. ET/PT

Check out the preview here:

attackgypsy 10/24/2010 11:09pm

Oh Gods, beautiful piece. Just beautiful.

• Sher1 10/24/2010 10:20am

10:19am: Yeah aren’t they great! Also www.moveon.org and www.actblue.com are 2 other GREAT websites. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED to call registered voters! www.onenationworkingtogether.org/callnow

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 11:04am

I do not understand how giving amnesty to illegal aliens stands to help the unemployed, you keep touting www.onenationworkingtogether.org as if giving citizenship to illegal aliens will help our cause,

If you can explain how amnesty would help our cause i am open to listening and even supporting that group, I just at this time can not comprehend how more immigrants getting citizenship will help us to find employment or receive another unemployment extension.

Sher1 10/24/2010 12:11pm

@Abaratarr: WOW you people have some serious hangups! If you ever saw the play “Steambath” then you and your kind will know you’re not going THERE!

n0bama4me 10/24/2010 7:47pm

do you sit around googling stuff like that which you post basically baseless false propaganda? with the hopes nobody will challenge you here and when they do resulting to insulting people who present facts, truth, and common sense that you can’t possibly sanely argue with?

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 10:57am

that article is whats known as a “Bifurcation Fallacy” with some “straw men” thrown in for spice, it is a simple attempt made by a manipulative person to try to manipulate uneducated people with false arguments.

Bifurcation Fallacy

straw man

I you will give your self a refresher course on Logical Fallacies you will more easily be able to notice when people are trying to manipulate you.

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 11:09am

if this doesn’t make since after reading the links I provided, let me know and this evening I will go through that article line by line and show how the logical fallacies apply to each statement and then to the argument as a whole.

• Sher1 10/24/2010 10:27am

You didn’t get mad when Bush embraced trade and outsourcing policies that shipped 6 million American jobs out of the country.

You didn’t get mad when the government was illegally wiretapping Americans.

You didn’t get mad when we didn’t catch Bin Laden.

You didn’t get mad when Bush rang up 10 trillion dollars in combined budget and current account deficits.

You didn’t get mad when you saw the horrible conditions at Walter Reed.

You didn’t get mad when we let a major US city, New Orleans drown.

You didn’t get mad when we gave people who had more money than they could spend, the filthy rich, over a trillion dollars in tax breaks. You didn’t get mad with the worst 8 years of job creations in several decades.

You didn’t get mad when over 200,000 US Citizens lost their lives because they had no health insurance

n0bama4me 10/24/2010 8:26pm

sher is mentally ill, that’s why it must repost things over and over and over and over and over and over and over. even though its totally false.. keep reposting trash over and over and over… oh and over and over. annoying.

• Sher1 10/24/2010 10:29am

You didn’t get mad when lack of oversight and regulations from the Bush Administration caused US Citizens to lose 12 trillion dollars in investments, retirement, and home values.

No…..You finally got mad

When a black man was elected President and decided that people in America deserved the right to see a doctor if they are sick.

Yes, illegal wars, lies, corruption, torture, job losses by the millions, stealing your tax dollars to make the rich richer, and the worst economic disaster since 1929 are all okay with you, but helping fellow Americans who are sick…Oh, Hell No!!

Teabaggers yell “I want MY country back” Its not YOUR country its the Indians! The American people want this country to go FORWARD not BACK!

n0bama4me 10/24/2010 8:28pm

oh yeah obama care is so great it was forced down our throats without anyone actually reading the bills entire contents, understanding it, even though the majority didn’t want it, said no… obama care is so great its destroying this country and our childrens future. yeah “deserved the right to see a doctor” so why the past 6 months can’t i see a doctor, don’t i have the right? where is my obama care? i been unemployed almost 3 years don’t i qualify? where the hell is it at? problems solved right? seriously lady what-the-f-are-you-smoking?

• Sher1 10/24/2010 10:44am

I think is comical how the GOPTP mocks President Obama reading from a teleprompter AND yet says nothing about Sarah Palin reading notes from the palm of her hand??? Now thats what I call Presidential material. LOL http://hatevshope.com

Abaratarrr 10/24/2010 11:10am

After reading that I am defiantly not voting for sara palin this year.

jgallop 10/24/2010 2:29pm

Sara Palin is a simpleton, She is an animal murderer , a mostly absentee parent, and a publicity hoo…

n0bama4me 10/24/2010 7:49pm

lol animal murderer? publicity….? i know about 10 other people of the top of my head that are publicity hoo…’s lol… but oh well… just hilarious.

jgallop 10/25/2010 1:55am

You think it’s hilarious to kill wolves from helicopters and go in the dens and gas the young ? Palin had and interview around Thanksgiving a year or so ago in Alaska and behind her a man was chopping the heads of Turkeys, Palin didn’t even miss a beat, a real moron!!@!

Send Your Senator a Letter