S.3992 - Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2010

A bill to authorize the cancellation of removal and adjustment of status of certain alien students who are long-term United States residents and who entered the United States as children and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Short: Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: DREAM Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to authorize the cancellation of removal and adjustment of status of certain alien students who are long-term United States residents and who entered the United States as children and for other purposes. as introduced.

• kgarza73 12/08/2010 1:56am

I dont agree with this Act. Why should they get a free ride, when they were brought here illegally. I live in part of the U.S. that as a kid it was a common sight to see the INS roll through town. I also know a lot of illegals that went to college or joined in the Military but in the end committed crimes usually Federal Offenses. I dont think this should pass. If they want to live the American Dream then come here legally.

MarcosFlores 12/12/2010 9:29am

Dude not all illegal Americans commit Federal offenses.. read this story http://meltice.net … You don’t have a choice on where you are born, for example, I’m American and i know for a fact that my great great great great great great great grandparents didn’t live here. Don’t put burdens on their kids that can contribute to our society!

KMWaheed 12/18/2010 3:19am

Center for Immigration Studies, December 2010, Estimating the Impact of the DREAM Act: the numbers are against the benefits to America! Please oppose this negatively impacting Act! The DREAM Act is bad legislation. While I might sympathize with kids who are here illegally through no fault of their own (as adults – any of them – they have a choice NOW), and I might even support something that would help them, I do not support the DREAM Act and neither should you.

There are 22 million Americans who cannot find a job. At the same time, Pew Research Center reports there are over 8 million illegal aliens currently working in the USA. Supporting the DREAM Act amnesty during the lame duck session would be an affront to these American men and women, legal immigrants, and all their families. How does a mass amnesty help the tens of millions of unemployed and underemployed Americans and legal immigrants who are struggling to keep their homes and meet their families’ essential needs?

milfadic 12/27/2010 8:16am

Immigration is definitely a difficult topic to discuss yet I believe we need to analyze it objectively. First, it is imperative to recognize that the current immigration policy can not sustain and is a problem that must be addressed. One key point in this intricate debate is that immigration is caused by a lack of economic and social stability in the immigrant’s countries. As long as the benefits outweigh the risks, immigration will continue. What if we charged $10,000 per application for every person that attempts to benefit from the Dream Act. Assuming 800,000 kids will benefit, that would raise 8 billion dollars over. We could use that money to secure the borders without adding to the deficit. The $10,000 would count as a penalty for entering the country illegally. If the person commits a felony or crime, they would be ineligible and would be arrested and then deported.

milfadic 12/27/2010 8:15am

Sxeptomaniac 12/28/2010 8:43am

That’s assuming that 800,000 kids could come up with that. There’s a certain point at which the penalty is too high for people to be able/willing to pay it, instead continuing to go illegal.

I agree that a fine can be a reasonable penalty, which could then be used towards security. However, $10,000 might be a bit steep for someone entering college or the service. Especially in cases where the applicant would like to join the military, I believe any potential fine should be drastically lowered or eliminated, on condition of acceptance and completion of their term of service.

• jprenna 12/08/2010 5:18am
    + 12

“Free Ride”? You obviously know of no one in this situation. I know a young man whose parents brought him here from communist Poland when he was a 1st grader. He has grown up a New Yorker. He speaks like a New Yorker. He can’t work and can’t get a college loan to complete his studies. If deported, he would be a 24 year old, speaking Polish like a 1st grader. He did nothing wrong and is asking for nothing for “free”.

gotthumbs 12/09/2010 6:59am

Blame his parents…Why is it acceptable to ignore our laws? What laws will be ignored next? I know of a Spanish family that has 5 children and they receive assistance… even though they have a nice home, new cars and a sweet pontoon boat. The husband lives outside the home, so his wife can claim single mother status. Her college tuition is paid for as well. This is a real example of the system being worked….Lets fill the holes and raise the expectations for all citizens. Why would you open your legs to anyone without knowing who they are and are they worthy. Thats exactly what this bill does. I’m not against immigration….I’m a naturalized american myself, but I have high expectations for me and for all citizens. Lets be proud of hour homes and not just let anyone in before knowing who they really are.

mattbasta 12/10/2010 10:57am

Is he ignoring our laws? Blaming his parents does literally nothing, and punishing the kid for something his parents did is absurd.

If the kid has graduated from high school (says a lot in quite a few parts of the country) and/or plans to serve in the military, how is it not fair that we’re giving them a legitimate path to citizenship? The law does not coddle the aliens, they’re being turned into tax-paying adults, soldiers fighting for our country, and members of America’s work force.

If the bill said “Let’s give undocumented aliens unlimited health care,” sure, that’s ridiculous and unwarranted. But it says “Let’s give these kids that want to do something beneficial to the country a path to become legal.”

Additionally, thousands of aliens become citizens every year through other naturalization processes. How is this any different?

exercise3 12/11/2010 3:08am

I like your comment, mattbasta. Thank you for posting it and educating others. It is well written, and it makes sense.

KMWaheed 12/18/2010 3:20am

KMWaheed 12/18/2010 3:34am

Read S.3992, www.thomas.loc.gov. How much additional $$ will it cost America? I am sure you cannot even conceive of the cost; I can’t. Read Center for Immigration Studies’ Estimating the Impact of the DREAM Act: the cost outweighs the benefits to America! I do sympathize with kids who are here illegally through no fault of their own (as adults – any of them – they have a choice NOW), and I might support something that would help them, I do not support the DREAM Act.

DanKat 12/10/2010 9:48am

His parents broke the law, plain and simple. He is a victim of his parents’ choices and their responsibility in this matter. He is not America’s responsibility. Another “sob story.”

KMWaheed 12/18/2010 3:14am

I know a Pakistani family who were separated for 5 years while the husband/father went to establish a legal immigrant status in the U.S. FIVE YEARS OF SEPARATION—children without their father, wife without her husband. Finally, he was able to bring his family to the U.S. All of this done the LEGAL/ESTABLISHED/AMERICAN way. Within 1 year, the husband/father was murdered while working as a taxi cab driver in Manassas, VA. Tell me, these folks who sacrificed so much to be here…how do you think they feel about the 5 year separation from their father/her husband? And, if you don’t understand the point I am making, you’re lost.

DanKat 12/21/2010 9:54am

I must be lost…. if he did all this illegally, he would not have been murdered?

• Rogue414 12/08/2010 6:16am

Do “your” research before posting anything. Just stating the obvious, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

• exercise3 12/08/2010 7:09am

I support the DREAM Act. If one is an intelligent, educated human being, I’m not certain how one can not support the DREAM Act. These are people who involuntarily hit a deadend once they graduate from high school. We’re smart in that we allow them to attend grade, middle and high schools, but then we turn stupid when it comes to allowing them to get a college education or when it comes to allowing them to get a job and become tax paying individuals. If we don’t pass the DREAM Act, it’s like we’re saying that we want them to be dependent on the US taxpayer indefinitely. Now, one might think that we need to deport all of them, but is that really the way that you want your hard earned tax dollars spent? I can say that I ABSOLUTELY do NOT want my tax dollars spent that way. That would be a ridiculous and stupid way to spend tax dollars—an absolute waste of tax dollars and of ALL the human resources involved. Get smart. Be smart. Support the DREAM Act! It’s the smart thing to do.

JHENRY 12/08/2010 2:26pm

How intelligent are you? I would rather have my tax dollars spent sending them back then to have it spent support them for the rest of their lives.
    why should they get what legal citizens can’t? Are you one of them?

NO DREAM ACT NO AMNSTY

Blindmikey 12/09/2010 11:27am

“I would rather have my tax dollars spent sending them back then to have it spent support them for the rest of their lives. "

Without the DREAM act – your tax dollars are spent supporting them for the rest of their lives, as they are dependent on US taxpayers indefinitely.

WITH the DREAM act – your tax dollars will not be spent supporting them for the rest of their lives, as they’ll become contributing tax-paying members of society just like you.

So Support the DREAM Act!

DanKat 12/10/2010 9:54am

Are your options presented the only 2 options available? No. Deportation is the best option. It is naive to think lawbreakers on the public dole will suddenly become responsible tax-payers.

americanlife 12/10/2010 10:05am

Why should my tax dollars support them at all? No Dream Act, No Amnesty and go Home. My tax dollars should go for the American Citizens and THEIR CHILDREN. If we educate illegals they become our boss and we become food stamp recipients. How RETARDED is that. The tax payer should be heard.
    Illegals should NEVER be dependent on American Taxpayers. Follow the process to become legal or LEAVE!

DanKat 12/10/2010 9:52am

Absolutely. We are going to have to spend money somewhere. . . they should be deported. They are not citizens. Their parents broke the law. They are victims of their parents actions. Too bad, but when you break the law, there are consequences and the American citizens are sick and tired of being “put upon” constantly to aid lawbreakers and their consequences.

MarcosFlores 12/12/2010 9:46am

NO STOP SPENDING! My Generation is already broke. Are you victims of your parents sins. Do you carry there weight on your back. As a new voter i am. A 13 trillion debt. just find them and have all of them pay taxes. Or educate them so they can use our resources to bring more money to the U.S.

tigntink 12/15/2010 6:00am

I’m 23 so i’m part of this new generation as well. These people pay taxes. They pay sales tax, in many cases they pay taxes on their pay checks just like you and I but their bosses skim off. They can’t complain because if they go to legal authorities they risk being sent away. The point of this law is to help people who are working hard by going to college or serving this country in our military. This isn’t for people who want to come into this country now, this is for people who were brought as children and have no other home.

My parents are terrible people for other things (im about as american mutt as it comes) but I can’t imagine being sent away to a place I can’t remember for my parents actions. It is a punishment unfitting of the crime.

KMWaheed 12/18/2010 6:57am

I have a child whose father is currently detained by ICE, pending deportation. My daughter will get NOTHING from this country as a result…not child support (how could they enforce it?) and not SSA benefits of any kind ever (‘though he’s paid into SSA). She is innocent, and she is blameless. Don’t be so naive; we all have crosses to bear however they came to us.

KMWaheed 12/18/2010 6:51am

…and, send some of that money back to their homes of origin and their families there….

KMWaheed 12/18/2010 6:50am

Just think about how much money would have been spent just to get and process their applications?

DanKat 12/17/2010 2:58am

If we don’t pass the DREAM Act we’re saying Americans come first. Citizens come first. Taxpayers come first. We’re tired of all the freebies going to illegals. We’re tired of illegals getting to the front of the line in front of Americans. We’re just plain sick and tired of this whole ridiculous situation created by our Federal Government not taking care of business like they should.

• bluezook 12/08/2010 7:11am

Ten things you should know about the Dream Act:

This bill does absolutely nothing to address the root of the problem and will provide incentive for more parents to illegally bring their children in the country. Remember the “one time” amnesty act of 1986?

Do not let this pass until steps are taken to actually address the problem as opposed to the symptom.

• NickM84 12/08/2010 8:47am

I do not support this bill. Just like anyone else, they should have to apply for citizenship. Illegal immigration is running ramped and costing taxpayers dearly. This bill will only invite more illegal aliens to our country.

Send Your Senator a Letter