S.729 - Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to permit States to determine State residency for higher education purposes and to authorize the cancellation of removal and adjustment of status of certain alien students who are long-term United States residents and who entered the United States as children, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Short: Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: DREAM Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to permit States to determine State residency for higher education purposes and to authorize the cancellation of removal and adjustment of status of certain alien students who are long-term United States residents and who entered the United States as children, and for other purposes. as introduced.

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

• Reasonableness 04/02/2009 7:42pm

Rhonda-
    Order a fake degree: You are probly right- orderin a fake degree probly is easy- but frauding 2 years of college experience is NOT. All colleges have a closed envelope policy and without the colleges Sealing and sending the transcript AND diploma- then the persons claim to the USCIS/immigration authorities, would be moot.
    One would have to prove they have taken the classes AND have their degree before being considered for residency.

If people start trying to bring their children now- the children will not benefit because they must have been 16 BEFORE the bill takes effect and they STILL have to graduate from high-schools and afford/attend colleges or military service, before becoming eligible for any privileges you fear these “illegals” are taking.

i ask that you be led by reason & you will see that this law is more than reasonable – it is wisdom – much needed wisdom. Good health to you!

Filtered Comment [ show ]

marisol94 09/24/2009 7:19pm

whyyyy???

give me reasons of why this act should be stopped???

give me reasons.ohh and well backed up with information.

i am pretty sure that if this act gets passed,it will benefit america.
    i really dont understand why it bothers you,can you tell me???

jeremiah77494 09/21/2010 9:24am

Why should the taxpayers have to pay entitlements? Did you ever stop to think, if you quit allowing the government to fool you into believing they know better how to spend your money, you would have more and then, through your own choice, could then donate to private organizations to help educate illegals? The government is a crooked, mob-like organization that will rob you of your money and civil rights. Wake up Marisol94. Keep things on a private level so you have better visibilty and can audit.

jeremiah77494 09/21/2010 9:25am

You ask for reasons bills of this nature should be stopped…#1 – have we been able to audit the FED? NO…you know why? Because the injustices would cause revolution if the taxpayers knew how our hard earned money has been misappropriated! Do you recall when we broke from the British…ring a bell…a liberty bell?

1. - Add up how many hours you work every week before you even begin contributing to your own family and then ask yourself if we need to add more entitlements. Wake UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!
  • rhonda 04/04/2009 8:16pm

I suppose you don’t follow the news very well do you? Was there not a University Professor at Harvard recently from South Korea holding a fake PH.D? Perhaps you should google it. Further, I have no clue as to what you are trying to say. “If people start trying to bring their children now..”
    One thing is clear to me and should be to you, these “Illegals” are just that, ILLEGAL. They have no rights being in my country. They absolutely do not have the right to be placed above the citizens of this nation! I refuse to give tax dollars to fund someone’s education from a nation other than my own.
    By the way, there are Universities in Mexico and other Nations.
    I wonder how you would feel if I traveled to Mexico and received tuition money from you before a Mexican National student did?
    Sound reasonable now?

superwoman 05/18/2011 11:14am

I agree I am a US citizen Born and raised here For 26yrs. I am now a college student barely scraping by I cant even afford to attend college Yet I cant even receive Financial Aid from My state because they say I make too much, However I dont even make enough for GAS, RENt and FOOD needless to say add School into the mix. I am apalled by this bill and it makes me sick to think that I will be paying taxes when they arent and my tax money will be going to ILLEGAL people BRAKING THE LAW…. I mean I am a law abiding citizen, who does endless hours of community service, works full time for little pay, pays outrageous taxes on everything,Yet I am the one being punished because I cant get financial aid so I can go to college and advance my self. I had a 4.0 when I was able to attend college i have always gotten awesoem grades but is that a factor… UMMM NO! they are going to just give money to these people who pay no taxes and dont even have to claim the money they make.THIS SUCKS! UNFAIR!

• SnowingAmanda 04/04/2009 8:22pm

Wow, you say it like if those students will be allowed to have tuition you will be denied this opportunity. If not, than it has nothing to do with them being placed “before you”. And don’t worry about your tax dollars, you’d be surprised how many of them do pay taxes, with a tax ID for example when they can’t get SS card. This way they don’t get any benefits like tax returns, etc., but they still pay it:P I know such people personally, and i wish you’d met some of them too before you say harsh words without knowing the situation.

pramsey 09/08/2009 3:04pm

How can you prove that illegal aliens are paying taxes. Obviously they are paying sales tax on purchases, but what about property and income taxes? If they are here illegally, chances are they are not. If they are able to get a tax payer ID why can’t they get a SSN? Make it legal and there would not be a problem.

FTM5691 09/22/2009 11:52am

lol because their is such a thing as IRS, if their working and getting a check, a bank account, and not paying taxes. The IRS will hunt them down just like a drug dealer. lol and to get a ssn you need to be a resident at least, now if you ever seen the process it takes years, ie it takes up to ten years to go through the oath after your approved. hmm so think about it?

jimenezc 09/26/2009 3:31pm

Of course they are paying income taxes (the vast majority). They pay taxes just like you and I do out of our paychecks, in addition to medicare and social security money that they might never be able to take advantage of, and they don’t get their tax return check at the end of the fiscal year. They can’t claim their children as dependents and get a fatter check, they can’t get a tax credit for donated items or fixing up their house and can’t get any of the stimulus money that you think they are. They actually pay more taxes than you and I do, proportionately. They wouldn’t pay property taxes if they are renting, the same way you wouldn’t pay property taxes if you were renting. Please don’t comment until you have your facts straight. I would be happy to share my beautiful country with anyone willing to work as hard as I do and appreciate it as much as I do.

• lil_laura_02 04/04/2009 9:11pm

Everyone living in the U.S. legal or illegal pay taxes! No one is being placed above anyone else. You earn your place with hard work! And illegals do not have access to free money for tuition. Illegals can only obtain scholarships from private organizations and have to be recognized as high achievers in order to be granted the money. Illegals cant receive government aid or loans!

MyGunsProtectMyFreeSpeechandMe 09/09/2009 11:48pm

What makes you ‘think’ criminals are going to obey other laws? It’s common sense that ‘gun control’ impinges on the rights of the just. It’s similarly easy to grasp that FELONY INVADERS do not benefit society.

kombatandfw 03/26/2010 1:32pm

In Texas they do. Caused a big stink here.

• StnMtnLatino 04/06/2009 10:06am

We have so many students in this country that would benefit from the DREAM Act, not just Latinos. Here are some statistics from the April 2009 issue of DiversityInc magazine: Foreign born people in the U.S. 34 million or 12%, 1 in 7 workers is foreign born, Where were immigrants born? 27% Asia – 13% Europe – 30% Mexico – 23% Latin America, New documented immigrants to the U.S. provide $407 Billion to the Social Security system over 50 years, 1.6 million Latino-owned U.S. firms provided jobs to 1.5 million employees and had annual reciepts of $222 Billion, Immigrants increases the U.S. GDP by $37 Billion, 1.1 million Asian-owned firms provided jobs to 2.2 million employees and had annual reciepts of $326 Billion, 12.5% of U.S. immigrants have master’s degrees versus 8% of native-born population. So please do not be so quick to judge. Conduct some reasearch and you will see what a benefit this legislation, if passed, will prove to be. Thank you for your time.

frankln88 11/02/2009 6:59pm

Hey StnMtnLatino i was wondering where did you get this information from?

jeremiah77494 09/21/2010 8:58am

Quick to judge? Are you kidding me? There is no doubt education is paramount in any society, but why do I(we), the taxpayer(s) have to fund immigrant education and even more, why is my government telling me I HAVE to do so? If you sheep keep on encouraging the US government to grow bigger and more intrusive, then don’t complain when they are as oppressive as the Authoritarian countries you fled. NOTHING is free…immigrants need to come legally, assimilate and pay their own way. That’s the spirit that made America great, not the entitlement mentality you are foolishly spreading in your comment disguised with a few arbitrary figures. Peddle your nonsense somewhere else.

• jackrej 04/09/2009 5:38am
    I believe that undocumented children and students should be allowed to attend college, our supreme court has already ruled that they are awarded 14th amendment rights and therefor allowed to attend public education. so what since does it made for us to allow them to graduate from high school and then not go on further?? we have already made a tax investment in their education, it costs thousands of dollars per child. it’s sensless and just plain stupid to ban them from higher education. people want to talk of how they are wasteing our tax money, when we educate them. WE are wasting our own tax money by not giving them paths to legalization and opportunities for higher education.

education is a human right.

MyGunsProtectMyFreeSpeechandMe 09/09/2009 11:51pm

It’s “senseless and stupid” to fail to provide school vouchers to citizens. It would cost thousands less to educate Americans.

Education is but one tool to ward away government tyranny. Therefore it is OBVIOUS that government ought have NO hand in managing education.

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

• herostyyle 04/13/2009 9:27am

I THINK THIS IS A HELPFUL BILL, THAT SHOULD PASS. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT KIDS THAT IS RISE HERE IN THE UNITED STATES. IT IS AS MUCH AS THEIR COUNTY AS YOU AND I. THESE ARE YOUNG ADULTS THAT HAVE DREAMS AND HOPE. JUST AS YOUR GREAT ANCESTORS CAME HERE AND LIVE THEIR LIFE AND DREAMS. WHY NOT GIVE THESE KIDS A CHANCE. WHY IS THERE SO MUCH HATE TOWARD THEM. THEY JUST WANT A SHOT AT LIFE JUST AS YOU AND CHILDREN HAVE. PASS THE DREAM ACT GOD BLESS AMERICA.

bleasdell 09/16/2010 5:41am

Hero, first please stop screaming in the form of ALL CAPS. Second, we are not talking about kids raised here in the US like “you and I” (by the way, that should be “you and me”). The kids that this bill would “help” are illegally residing in the US. They are criminals, according to the law. Are you a criminal? I don’t think so (and hope not).

This bill does nothing more than reward people for doing the wrong thing. Furthermore, I have to ask “how is it, exactly, that colleges and even our own military will allow someone in who is currently breaking the law?”

We should fix that problem first, and the result would be the erasure of this “DREAM” act because it is no longer necessary.

• GROM 04/14/2009 1:13pm

My girlfriend, 24, Mexican, came to the US 19 years ago. She has a BBA in Marketing, and still can’t work. US is all she knows, and feels American. Now, how about send some unemployed Americans to Mexico, and give citizenship or residential status to those immigrants who want to work, and actually be part of the US.

• Moderated Comment

exodos3410 06/03/2009 1:33pm

do you choose to be ignorant or were you just born that way? young children under the age of 16 did not choose to come here illegally! they are innocent VICTIMS who had no say in the matter! most came as young children and don’t even remember their countries!

i don’t think you understand that they grew up here, went to school here, and are now deprived of something that they worked hard for! these kids deserve the opportunity for a higher education and i think you just don’t understand that. so, before you start judging and making unintelligent comments, think what it would be like to be in their shoes.

NoMoney2FELONSamongUS 09/15/2009 8:32am

this encourages FELONY trespass to birth children on American soil.

better plan: not legally here? you’re children are NOT automatically citizens.

bleasdell 09/16/2010 5:43am

Just because she “feels American”, it does not make her American. She is a criminal because of her own actions (and her parents to boot). She should be working on getting her green card the same way all other law-abiding immigrants have.

• china5178 04/17/2009 12:07pm

The majority of the children that this law would benefit would be those who their parents brought here, they didn’t choose to be here, they were forced in a way to be here. This is all they know, you can’t punish children because of what their parents did, kind of like labeling a child an alcoholic because their father was, that’s just ignorant. And besides you legal people have already paid for their educations half of those kids graduated from an American High School, its not as if they just came here they have been here, and have contributed to society you just don’t know it.

Filtered Comment [ show ]