S.909 - Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act

A bill to provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosecute hate crimes, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: A bill to provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosecute hate crimes, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act as introduced.
  • Short: Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act as introduced.

AntonGolovin 05/09/2009 7:40pm

I apologize, it was not deleted, it was filtered by someone, i.e., rendered invisible, for all intents and purposes, to the reader.

2100km 05/23/2009 10:10pm

Exactly. The government isn’t going to outlaw Christianity or any other religion all at once. They have been working on this stuff for decades! One little freedom at a time.

If you put a frog in a pot of boiling water, it jumps out. If you put him in cold water and slowly heat it, he will sit in there until he dies. They are taking baby steps!

pandawa 07/13/2009 10:39am

tell me, who exactly is They?

TinaStorm 07/13/2009 1:04pm

They are: Preachers, Ministers, and Clergy who are innocent of inciting their congregation to harrass or do harm to anyone that might be construed as a hate crime. (the topic of this discussion, maby you should leave the room and read the basic information)

ryan713105 05/07/2009 11:46am

AntonGolovin, please read number 3 and 4 of section 10 of the bill.

3) CONSTITUTIONAL PROTECTIONS- Nothing in this Act shall be construed to prohibit any constitutionally protected speech, expressive conduct or activities (regardless of whether compelled by, or central to, a system of religious belief), including the exercise of religion protected by the First Amendment and peaceful picketing or demonstration. The Constitution does not protect speech, conduct or activities consisting of planning for, conspiring to commit, or committing an act of violence.

(4) FREE EXPRESSION- Nothing in this Act shall be construed to allow prosecution based solely upon an individual’s expression of racial, religious, political, or other beliefs or solely upon an individual’s membership in a group advocating or espousing such beliefs.

AntonGolovin 05/09/2009 7:46pm

Ryan, I do indeed read that. However, I am not stating that the persecution of Christians would begin with the passage of this bill. However, I am very concerned that a series of laws have been, are being, and will be passed that will create a framework that will create a framework for persecuting religious organizations that preach the Bible, which speaks very clearly on the topic of homosexuals and the Jews.

It is not hate to speak the truth: that the Jews crucified Christ, and that homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven.

phans4u 05/25/2009 8:19am

I’m trying to follow the logic, and decide what, if anything, you guys are fighting over—you’re right on there, Anton—it’s generally accepted as historical fact, that Jews Did kill Christ; but it’s not my place to judge whether gays will inherit the Kingdom of Heaven.

echo52 06/24/2009 10:34am

I believe the Bible already passed the judgment on people continuing in an active homosexual lifestyle or other certain behaviors inheriting the Kingdom of Heaven. Whether we decided to judge in favor of or not is really irrelevant.

ajic 11/23/2009 1:13pm

Thank you.

“Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,”
    and yet
    “19Having put him to sleep on her lap, she called a man to shave off the seven braids of his hair, and so began to subdue him.d And his strength left him.”

I have friends who believe many things, and I cannot help but hope for them. What is decided, though, whether we believe it or not, is decided.

driman03 07/16/2009 5:51am

Jesus Himself said that no man takes His life. The Bible teaches that God killed Jesus.

And you’re right, it’s not your place to judge whether or not homosexuals will inherit the kingdom of heaven, and it’s not my place either, it’s God’s. And He says they will not. Along with liars, blasphemers, adulterers, idolaters, etc. We’re all in danager, not just gays.

That’s where grace and forgiveness and the sacrifical death of Christ comes in..

TinaStorm 07/09/2009 4:40pm

God gave his only son to save the world, not to condem the world or to incite hate for one another. WWJD? Love thy neighbor as thou would love thyself- God’s own words!!!! I have attended many Christian church services that did just that, incite hate for segments of society the minister judged to be sinners, and encouraged members of the congregation to “shun” those people. Let’s love our neighbors and deny ourselves, and provide life & liberty to everyone so they may persue happiness.

TinaStorm 07/16/2009 3:17pm

Yes, Christ was sacrificed for our sins and transgretions, you need to get off the cross and stop trying to put me or my friends on it. Why don’t we let God do the judging while you sit and pray. I know by your inability to grasp the substance of this legislation, you are incapable of understanding it because there is no danger, only responsibility.
    Keep in touch with Jesus, youre going to need a good attorney when you come in front of the final Judge for all the evil you are preaching.

jose6371delgado 07/27/2009 7:49pm

the bible say this as will he love us but hate sin.and are GOD OWN WORD

driman03 07/16/2009 4:29pm

Are you talking to me? Because I was actually agreeing with you. People who preach that God is not going to allow gays into heaven overlook the verses that say He’s not going to let liars, thieves, adulterers in either. Because we are ALL sinners and totally depraved, He sent Christ to die for our sins so we could enter heaven and not suffer His righteous judgment.

that’s all I was saying

TinaStorm 07/16/2009 6:16pm

My appologies, I am used to being called those names when people learn I am a successful transgender woman, writer, activist, and Christian. -Tina

fisherman 07/17/2009 8:46am

Successful maybe, but honestly don’t think all that fit in one person!!!

TinaStorm 07/17/2009 12:02pm

If you are questioning me, please do so directly. I have nothing to hide. I am a 42 year old transgender woman. I was diagnosed with gender identity disorder (which is not a disability, but can be disabeling). I have worked since age 14 (not counting the doore to doore sales I began at age 10), been a restaruant manager 4 years and owner, I have been a nurse for 11 years, rental property owner (24 units)for more than 10 years, Volunteer touter secretary, vice-president, and President of my area’s Adult Education Center, dedicated member of my church giving my (10%)tieth, maintain the Key code to the church. I have taken care of each member of my family when sick and/or hospitalized. My annual income is well over $100,000.00. Ive been kind of busy, I get about 4/24 hours of sleep, and I have never done drugs, not that I haven’t had the option.

jose6371delgado 07/27/2009 7:45pm

we just can not just sit and pray.christ told us to go all over the world and preach the word of God.are you saying jesus is evil.

TinaStorm 07/16/2009 3:17pm

jose6371delgado 07/27/2009 8:11pm

God did not kill jesus.it was man.and it was a for our sin.he went on the cross.what bible are reading.

truthseeker 09/01/2009 7:18pm

The Bible states clearly that Jesus laid down His Life. It was not taken from Him. He gave it up freely for the sins of all mankind. ALL, ALL. Our sins have been forgiven, Jesus paid the price. You don’t go to hell for your sins. You are sent there for rejecting Jesus.

2100km 05/23/2009 10:17pm

I just love how they say “The Constitution does not protect speach…” Nice that they can finally inform all of us dumb citizens that the constitution doesn’t protect all speech.

Actually it does. Under the constitution, you can say as many hateful things as you want. They can’t prosecute you until you ACT. Did you ever see The Minority Report? That’s what this bill reminds me of.

pandawa 07/13/2009 10:42am

really. Basing constitutional Law off a movie.
    Can you shout FIRE in a crowded theatre? no. Bang, unprotected speech.
    (insert actual source) http://www.answers.com/topic/unprotected-speech

TinaStorm 07/13/2009 1:11pm

This is real life, not a reality show. Hate crimes happen every day, and remain unnoticed, because police have no criteri to research hate crimes, and courts are limited in prosecuting hatemongers. When this type of crime ends, then we will have no need for these laws, but until then, BACK OFF.

michaelwilliams 11/04/2009 10:30am

Hate crimes happen every day…as apposed to those committed out of love? All crimes are hate crimes.

ajic 11/23/2009 1:17pm

press: libel and slander
    speech: presenting a clear and present danger

not protected (in case that helps)

phans4u 05/25/2009 8:10am

EXCELLENT—then, in That case, Speech does Not need to be legislated; because All speech is protected, except that which presents CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER; and I don’t plan to be shouting “‘FIRE’, anytime soon, in a theater.”
    Thanks for pointing up another reason why this legislation can be dispensed with NOW.
    The only use I’d have for this bill, if it came to a vote, I am sure that rat-b*stard, two-faced lizard Arlen Specter will have No compunction in voting Aye—against the will of his constituents…and Specter is OUT as of 2010.
    Find Some Courage; and Keep America FREE, Americans.

MatadorBID 07/13/2009 3:54pm

“All speech is protected, except that which presents CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER”

Exactly. Our country was designed with all rights reserved to its citizens unless prohibited. NOT a list of only certain things they are allowed.

Why should the punishment for a crime vary depending on why the crime was committed? Should speeding tickets carry a harsher fine if it was given on the way to work versus on the way to lunch?
    Stop this thought-crime bill NOW!

TinaStorm 07/13/2009 5:39pm

Foolish. Not all speech is protected. SLANDER – LIABLE – DEFAMING
    Find a dictionary and some elementary law books. The above list could all be torts.

MatadorBID 07/21/2009 1:07pm

Ok professor, I guess you got me there. You undermined my blanket statement by pointing out what I took for granted.

Maybe you could give us your opinion on the rest of what I said, not just the first sentence, which was also a quote?

Send Your Senator a Letter