Sen. Lamar Alexander

Republican  •  Tennessee  •  2nd Term  •  Sworn In 2003
Current Term 2009 - 2015 View All

• Anonymous 02/13/2008 11:25am

Those who vote for unconstitutional warrentless wiretaps and vote to protect the criminals that violate our privacy are not worthy of the position they hold. It’s impossible to justify undermining the very essence of our constitution in order to protect it. Another sell out.

• Anonymous 03/11/2008 8:02am

There is an immediate need for an emergency unemployment extension, people and their children are at witts end out here.

• gscoville 06/02/2008 9:47am

Privacy is not explicitly guaranteed by any letter of the United States Constitution.

LizaGee 04/05/2009 5:53am

sig heil comrad!

Seriously, maybe you like your privacy invaded but I’d rather keep mine constitutional or not!!

• sexysarahdawn 06/18/2008 2:04pm

As I sit here typing this, my mind is frantic with worry. I continue to wonder how my family and I will survive the next few months. I have been unemployed since October 2007. My full time job has been looking for employment….just looking takes hours. Thank God for the internet. Who could afford to do it the old fashioned way with gas costs so high.

I received my last $188 payment via direct deposit last weekand I have no more benefits to receive.

We have some food but it will run out soon.I have no equity in our home and cannot sell it, because the market has erased my 20% down payment.I cannot sell my car because we live in an outlying area with no public transportation and I need mine to go on the few job interviews where I never get a call back. But you have to try anyway, right? I cannot drive back and forth because gas costs are too high.

We do not live above our means. We tried to do everything society said we should do. I purchased a reasonably priced home and avoided credit card debt as best as I could until we had to start charging the heat, electric, phone, and water bills on my credit card. Now, we will be paying for that during the next 10 years provided I can get a job now, but that looks unlikely. We depleted my savings and retirement plans so no chance of getting income from that. All we had left as extra income was the unemployment benefits that I receive but now unemployment is gone too.

Please, please, please, pass this bill. Otherwise, my family just like other American families will be homeless. We know we are blessed because at least we will have a car to sleep in when we are foreclosed upon.

I wonder where I went wrong. I worked and never received any government assistance. Now, we need your help and it just don’t seem like you are there for us .

Please pass this bill so that we can have some relief from this economy. How anyone can say that this bill is useless is amazing to me. Obviously, they are in the minority of people who are just getting along fine because the majority of us are not!

I want to work, but I cannot find a job. I have a stable work history, excellent references, and a ton of education and certifications but all of that is useless because it means nothing in this job market. The economy is just too bad now and nothing seems to be working in anyone’s favor to make it better.

Of course, I appreciated the economic stimulus checks you guys made a big deal about but even that did not work as we only got $600 instead of the $1200 you promised. Somewhere along the line you came up with “it depends on filing status” though you didn’t say that in the beginning..

If my family and I don’t get this extension, like many other families, we are up the creek without a paddle.

Won’t you help us like we have helped you?

Lisa Douglas Drummonds,Tn

dbeltramo 11/24/2009 2:02am

Just wonder what ever happened to you?

• Anonymous 07/14/2008 6:35am

Are you serious? You charged your bills to your credit cards? There are non-profits that help pay heat, you need to turn off the T.V., wash in cold water, wear clothes more than one day, get off the d@mn computer and take whatever you can find…even if that means McDonalds. At least you wouldn’t have been STEALING credit you cannot pay back! How many phones do you have? Cells? Home? What new crap did you buy your kids? Are you buying soda? Name brands? Snacks? I bet you are. Buy discounted items such as scratch and dent. NO ONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU! YOU ARE GROWN! MY MONEY HAS BEEN SUPPORTING YOU!!! For months and months you have been given others money and you have NEVER worked for ME! Get off your @ss and take ANYTHING you can get. I once chopped wood for a man who was clearing his property. I saw him working, I stopped, I said I need a job, and he gave me one. Not what I wanted, didn’t pay great, but I was earning my own money not taking someone elses. Spoiled, selfish people this is one reason why our country is dying.

dbeltramo 11/24/2009 2:01am

WOW! You are a really nasty person. You, and your ilk are why this country is dying. It is the “me first and screw you” attitude that has so dwindled America down to nothing. Under the hell of Republican rule for the last zillion years we have gorged ourselves at the trough of big business, where God is the almighty dollar. The result is what’s going on now—we’re bailing out the Wall Streeters and doing zero for the workers. Many of us, me included, would be perfectly happy to divide the country in half and let those of you who prefer to do whatever is necessary to make a buck live in one half, and those who want a more humanitarian, shared approach live in the other half.

I challenge you to grow a heart, a brain, and maybe add a little dose of just basic morality and humanity to it.

• Anonymous 07/14/2008 6:39am

NO MORE MONEY FOR THE HOPELESSLY UNEMPLOYED!!!

Totally against the wire taps though….

• sexysarahdawn 07/17/2008 2:44am

Why is it taking so long to send out the letters for the emergency unemployment
    extension? Why are we repeatedly being told to wait on letters. Are you all that
    incompetent? It’s not rocket science. People are hungry and can’t pay
    bills. School is about to start and my kids need
    uniforms and shoes. What is the hold up and why can’t we get any real
    answers besides wait on the letters? God forbids, if you all get laid-off and
    run out of money.It seems so ridiculous that there is no uniform system to handle this situation on the federal level. We are all long term unemployed and everyone is in dire need of their Extended Benefits. They know how to standardize the paying of our federal income taxes by April 15th. Why can’t someone come up with a similar way to instruct the UE offices to handle this federally mandated extension? Maybe then you will understand the meaning of emergency.

• Anonymous 10/14/2008 2:59pm

Our government is headed towards self destruction. Because of congresses GREED, CORRUPTION & IRRESPONSIBILITY congress has seized power and rewriting the Constitution of the USA. Sen. Alexander, you have been a part of this takeover of the government. I will NOT vote for any incumbent and try to replace them with new people.

• G33KChik 01/15/2009 6:59pm

S2433 is a joke…..spending billions in MORE aid overseas to the UN. No….just plain NO.

• JDSLMurphy 04/20/2009 2:35pm

Dear Sir, I have been tracking the process of Bills that have been introduced and found something rather interesting. On January 6,09 a Bill was introduced titled ‘S.10:Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2009’. The Sponsor of the bill was Harry Reid (D-NV) & had 15 co-Sponsors, all Democrats. Why is it that the Bill was just Introduced and nothing has happened with it? The Bill as I read it should have been passed by every member of Congress regardless of party affiliation. In effect the Bill states that Congress & the President should exercise responsibility when passing laws & spending OUR tax payer dollars. Our Nation is in a debt so deep that it will take generations to pay off the interest alone. I must restrict my spending to live. Why is it that members of Congress seem to think that the Federal bank account has unlimited funding? I would like to see you work to get this bill passed & set an example for responsible spending.

• Erwi31 05/01/2009 7:00am

Why would this senator vote no on a bill that represents the american dream?

Its time to let this senator know that we will not vote them back into office come election time.

• thorvaldr 05/13/2009 6:53am

This is the only republican senator to vote AGAINST your right to protect yourself and your family when visiting a national park (H.R. 627 amendment 1067). Fully half of the democrat senators were able to see common sense through the Brady campaign smokescreen and vote for your constitutional rights, but not this guy. Next time this guy comes up for reelection remember that he voted against party to deny you your rights.

• AngelXOXO 08/30/2009 8:10am

PLEASE PUSH TO PASS UI EXTENTION NOW – SEPT IS CUT OFF FOR MANY AMERICANS!!
    THIS CANT WAIT A MONTH OR TWO OR BE STALLED IN RED TAPE OR LEFT FOR ‘LATER’.
    PERSONALLY,(LIKE MANY) I HAVE ALREADY LOST EVERYTHING AND HAVE ONLY UI TO SURVIVE, BUT IT EXPIRES IN ONE WEEK.. ONE CHECK LEFT THEN I HAVE ZERO INCOME. I/WE NEED HELP NOW. PLEASE PLEASE PASS 4TH EXTENTION AS THE TOP GOV PRIORITY FOR AMERICANS. TODAY, NOW, MAKE THE CALL. PLEASE INTERVENE. PLEASE UPDATE AMERICANS ON WHAT WE CAN EXPECT AS WE NEED INFORMATION, AND WE NEED 4TH EXTENTION HELP NOW PLEASE.

• DOUGLASFIELD 10/16/2009 11:27pm
    • POORER AMERICAN ACTIVE DUTY U.S. MILITARY AROUND THE WORLD WHO ARE RISKING AND LOSING THEIR LIVES FOR ALL OF US ~ HAVE FAMILIES BACK HOME WHO ARE ALSO DYING WITHOUT HEALTH*CARE *
      ~ PRESIDENT OBAMA AND U.S. SENATOR OLYMPIA SNOWE OF MAINE BOTH KNOW THAT ANY FUTURE HEALTH
      CARE PLAN FOR OUR NEW AMERICA NEEDS TO ALSO ENCOMPASS ALL FAMILY MEMBERS OF ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY MEMBERS…ANYTHING LESS WOULD BE UN*AMERICAN ~
      JUST MAYBE AMERICA NEEDS A FEW MORE REVOLVING DOORS IN OUR U.S. CONGRESS *
      OUR COUNTRY COULD REALLY USE MANY MORE SINCERE AMERICANS LIKE THIS SPECIAL U.S.SENATOR OLYMPIA SNOWE FROM MAINE WHO CONSIDERS THIS COUNTRIES 45 MILLION POOR AMERICAN MEN WOMEN AND CHILDREN WITHOUT PROPER HEALTH CARE LIKE HER OWN FAMILY AHEAD OF HER ELECTED POLITICAL FAMILY **
      45 MILLION POORER AMERICANS HAVE OBVIOUSLY BEEN TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL WITH THE PEOPLES U.S. SENATOR SNOWE OF MAINE.
      LAWYERS FOR POOR AMERICANS CAN BE FOUND WITH ANY SEARCH ENGINE.
      424-247-2013
  • dbeltramo 11/24/2009 2:09am

I’d love to see more “real” Americans in Congress, but how could a real American possibly challenge an incumbent given the unbelievable cost of a campaign. This is why we need campaign reform to cut out special interests, put caps on campaign spending, cover the majority of the cost through public funding, etc. This is the only chance that any “real” American will ever again grace the hallowed halls of the federal Congress.

• DOUGLASFIELD 02/03/2010 12:01pm

SENATOR,

• MANY MORE IN OUR U.S. CONGRESS ARE NOW FINDNG OUT THE TRUTH OTHER THEN SENATOR WEBB AND THOSE OTHERS IN THE NOW… IN CONGRESS
  • itnupe10 03/14/2010 4:12pm

Thomas Jefferson once said: It is to me a new and consolatory proof that wherever the people are well-informed they can be trusted with their own government; that whenever things get so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be relied on to set them to rights.
    The Mass Deregulation of the Mass Communication is the end of Democracy..

• DOUGLASFIELD 04/26/2010 12:08pm

DEAR SENATOR,

• CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN OTHER THEN SATAN HOW TEXAS GOVERNOR RICK PERRY ON ONE HAND PARDONS FORMER TEXAS INMATE TIMOTHY COLE WHO WAS WRONGFULLY EXECUTED WITHOUT BEING ALLOWED TO EXONERATE HIMSELF USING DNA TESTING IN TEXAS , AND WITHIN THE SAME MONTH THIS SAME GOVERNOR RICK PERRY OF TEXAS DENIES YET ANOTHER DNA TEST PRIOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE WRONGFUL EXECUTION OF HANK SKINNER ???
  • Spam Comment

• stillreal2010 06/24/2010 9:55am

It is sa to see that you voted against the extension. I remeber when I was a little girl and you were running for office and you walked across the stsae of Tennessee so that you could meet the people and talk to people and hear their stories, oh my that was so many years ago and now you are a Senator and live away and dont seem to care about the very people who put you there. My dad voted for you because of what you stood for and he was a staunch Democrat but he heard your message at that time. He would be sorely disappointed to see the person you are today. You may never read this message but there are a lot of us in Tennessee who still remember the great change you brought about for Tennessee but now Tennessee is hurting, the people are hurting. Unemployment is NOT a hand out, it is for people who have worked and no longer are able.

• Revolution 06/28/2010 7:27pm

You are a disgrace to your country and should be embarrassed to have the UNITED STATES in front of your title.4th of July is upon us-it reminds us of history and how the people can come together to make a difference.I hope you and your family meet the same outcome as the 15,000,000+ unemployed.You turned your back on the Citizens by playing games and stupid antics.Assistance needs to be offered to ease the minds of the families and allow continued dignity no matter the cost. You spend OUR money like water and the American people MUST and SHOULD be priority one!
    “As good government is an empire of laws, how shall your laws be made? In a large society,inhabiting an extensive country,it is impossible that the whole should assemble to make laws. The first necessary step, then,is to depute power from the many to a few of the most wise and good.”
    John Adams, Thoughts on Government, 1776
    Obviously we dont have the few wise and good in the senate-but we have the power to change that.

• chbg1921 06/28/2010 9:30pm

I am asking to please get something done about the unemployment extension. I just ran out of benefits today…I have worked non-stop until 2008 when my shop closed. This is ridiculous that I have to sit down and figure out how I am going to feed my son. I have a degree and the skills to aquire a job, the only problem is there aren’t any jobs. Come on now, please tell me how I am going to pay to keep a roof over my child’s head and feed him? Can you answer that? Oh I forgot you already showed your concern for the american people with your NAY vote.

• pelmof 06/29/2010 6:41am

Dear Senator Alexander,

LaReid64 06/29/2010
    Please pass the bill for extenses on the unemployment benefits we have already filed bankruptys last year and have been trying to hang on to our home and one car.I would be glad to have a job but there is none out there.I have worked for over twenty years and have not signed up till 2008. The money would still be there if you people would stop giving it to everyone else.Take care of the american people we need it now.I would not want to face my marker knowing i could have helped God’s people and didnot that is one hudgement you can’t buy.

sharibear 07/07/2010 6:26pm
  • Superpower 12/30/2010 5:41am

You’re a sellout and an EPIC FAILURE. You should retire or better yet, become a Democrat considering you vote like one.

Official website: