Former Sen. Edward Kennedy

Democrat  •  Massachusetts 9 Terms  •  Sworn In 1962
Last Term 2007 - 2009 View All

LibertarianLady 08/20/2009 10:44am

Kennedy said "… I also believe it is vital for this Commonwealth to have two voices speaking for the needs of its citizens and two votes in the Senate during the approximately five months between a vacancy and an election.’’

I would like to know exactly what the people will miss that they are not currently receiving. The people do not have two senators representing them right now. There is one representing them. Kennedy has only voted on a miniscule amount of bills (one of which was introduced by himself), isn’t filling his duties on committees, and isn’t serving the people.

If Kennedy really cared about the people he would be upfront about his inability to serve due to his health and resign because of an inability to fill his position. If he really cared he would want the people to be represented, not have a senator who hardly ever votes and is unavailable for debate.

kgotjesus2001 04/30/2009 8:35am

Instead Kennedy made his way to his hotel, called his lawyer, and went to sleep. Kennedy called the police the next morning and by then the wreck had already been discovered. Before dying, Kopechne had scratched at the upholstered floor above her head in the upside-down car. The Kennedy family began “calling in favors,” ensuring that any inquiry would be contained. Her corpse was whisked out-of-state to her family, before an autopsy could be conducted. Further details are uncertain, but after the accident Kennedy says he repeatedly dove under the water trying to rescue Kopechne, and he didn’t call police because he was in a state of shock. It is widely assumed Kennedy was drunk, and he held off calling police in hopes that his family could fix the problem overnight.

kgotjesus2001 04/30/2009 8:35am

Since the accident, Kennedy ‘s “political enemies” have referred to him as the distinguished Senator from Chappaquiddick. He pled guilty to leaving the scene of an accident, and was given a SUSPENDED SENTENCE OF TWO MONTHS. Kopechne’s family received a small payout from the Kennedy ‘s insurance policy, and never sued. There was later an effort to have her body exhumed and autopsied, but her family successfully fought against this in court, and Kennedy ’s family paid their attorney’s bills… a “token of friendship”?

kgotjesus2001 04/30/2009 8:34am

He swam to shore and walked back to the p arty, after passing several houses and a fire station. Then two friends returned with him to the scene of the accident. According to their later testimony, they told him what he already knew, that he was required by law to immediately report the accident to the authorities.

gkdaw_usa 07/15/2008 3:02pm

I think if one or more of the senators have a vested interest in Oil or alterative energy, they should not be able to vote becouse they have a vested interest in one or the other and it will be the only way to get a real honest VOTE in Congress.

Anonymous 05/18/2008 12:37am

Hope you get well soon,

OliviasMom 08/08/2008 5:52pm

Dear Senator Kennedy,

I am pleading with you to vote in favor of H.R. 4926, here is my personal reason why:

My first awareness of Longated QT Syndrome (LQTS) or Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) in young adults was April 12, 2004. On this day I went into my daughter’s bedroom to wake her up for school and found her not breathing. My daughter was in the hospital for 10 days, on life support. The doctors were not sure why this seemingly healthy, 14 year old girl, would just stop breathing. After days of running test after test, a cardiologist was finally able to give us a diagnosis, Long QT syndrome.

What, what is Long QT Syndrome? What were the warning signs my daughter would have had? Why didn’t her pediatrician detect this problem at birth? Why, when I took her to the doctor for headaches, dizziness, feeling as though she were going to faint, why didn’t they request an EKG, or why didn’t I request it? Why, because I was unaware of this silent killer known as Long QT Syndrome.

Olivia had always been an energetic, bright, beautiful child. She was so curious about everything, always wanting excitement and adventure in her life. Olivia was very active as a cheerleader and loved to play basketball. Olivia was very competitive, healthy as can be, so we thought.

April 22, 2004, my 14 year old daughter, Olivia Corinne Hoff, passed away.

As a mother, I am writing this to bring public awareness to our local community about LQTS and SCA and the importance of AED’in our local schools in.

It was four years April 22, 2008 that my daughter passed away. Not a day goes by that I don’t ask myself, Why didn’t I know, why didn’t I see the warning signs ? If I had, maybe Olivia would be alive today. Unfortunately, for me and my family, our life is forever changed. As a mom, I cannot express the depth of pain in losing a child. When my daughter died, a part of me died too.

I understand that this bill would, among other things, establish a grant program for local education agencies to purchase automated external defibrillators (AEDs) and train school staff to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and correctly use AEDs.

I ask that you please do your part to save lives by doing what you can to see that the Senate passes H.R. 4926, Josh Miller HEARTS Act. There are many parents grieving the loss of their children and feeling the same pain that I will, we will feel, for the rest of our lives.

I am a Mom on a Mission to do whatever I can to save the lives or our children. I will not let Olivia’s death be in vain. Olivia cannot speak out about LQTS. Olivia cannot ask the Senate to help pass H.R. 4926. I am Olivia’s voice. As Olivia’s mom, I will continue to do all that I can to honor my daughter’s memory, as memories is all I have.

Sincerely,

Corinne Ruiz, Olivia’s mom
604 Harvest Creek Rd
Bakersfield, CA 93312-4005

lerichards 03/07/2008 4:46am
Homeland Security Satellites dangerous to all U S Citizens.

Fear has gripped the Government and many people of The United States, causing havoc among all citizens. Not in history of civilization has such atrocities been realized. Spying and torture has become a common practice to any individual not living the productive life, people who live peacefully, people who are satisfied with their lives.
Once the Government considers a person or persons unproductive, they are considered alien and a danger to the society. The government fears these people for their disrupting the overall progress of the American Way. Growth and prosperity has become a major concern to those people dwelling in luxury and vanity, while individuals who are satisfied with the common way of living are scrutinized and condemned for being lazy and indifferent to any advancement.
America is the product of devastation to the planet Earth, and to the realm of outer space. The government has sold-out to the destruction of the planet with endless violations, removing the material resources and destroying natural environment, ending nearly all ecosystems of other forms of life.
The End

Moderated Comment

donnyshaw 03/06/2008 3:23pm
in reply to Wcote21 Mar 06, 2008 7:37am

If you click on the “See Full Voting History” button above, you will see that Kennedy voted “nay” on final passage of the FISA bill. There were also a dozen or so votes on amendments to the bill before it s final passage — you can also see how he voted on each of those.

Wcote21 03/06/2008 7:37am

What was Senator Kennedy vote for S.2248? The amendment on Fisa??

Anonymous 03/19/2008 1:07pm

i

Anonymous 10/24/2008 3:38pm

I called your office and talked to an aide who said Senator Kennedy was at home fighting brain cancer. I called back and suggested his wife call a press conference from their home. I said that now was the time for Senator Kennedy to fight for unemployed workers and reintroduce 2544!
Today I read that Kennedy is fighting for the health care system from his home. The millions of unemployed also needed his help and advocacy!!!!!!!!!! Don’t abandon us. Do NOT compromise. Finish what he started!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous 03/11/2008 5:39pm

Why would the IRS spend MILLIONS to tell us a check is in the mail?
PLEASE pass this unemployment extension bill BEFORE you all go on VACATION! American CITIZENS are LOSING their homes!
Our government seems BROKEN when it cannot help American workers. We CANNOT wait!!! YOU are our GOVERNMENT NOW!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!

btoner 03/15/2008 10:02am

Dear Senator Kennedy, Thank you for introducing Bill S 2544 Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008. This aid is definitely needed in a time of ecomomic uncertainty and turmoil. I would like to know what I can do to further advance this bill. It seems like there is a strong undertow from the executive branch to put this bill into play. I was shocked when I heard President Bush publicy announce that this would not be part of the stimulus package. I will write my congressman and senators in New Jersey but if you can suggest any other type of action please let me know. Best Regards and Happy Saint Patrick’s Day. Bill Toner

Anonymous 03/15/2008 10:25am

dear; senator. Kennedy we the people are pleading to act on the bills like s2544 heading up a bill dose not mean squat!the numbers tell you and me that we need unemployment extension now you keep listening to bush it will be ok how has that been working for you.its not for me and hundred of thousand of unemployed will tell you the same we are losing our homes/ correct. i can not predict the future bush said he can (all knowing?)what i know that if we the people do not get help soon there will be no mid/class for you to tax!

Anonymous 03/19/2008 1:11pm

I TOO AM OUT OF WORK AND ABOUT TO RUN OUT OF UNEMPLOYMENT MONEY (FRIDAY!). I LEARNED AT MY NJ UNEMPLOYMENT COUNSELING SESSIONS THAT BEING OVER 40!!!! MAKES IT TOUGH TO GET A JOB. CHECK OUT THE WORKERS WHO DO HAVE JOBS, THEY MAY BE YOUNG BUT COMMITTED? EFFICIENT? EVEN NICE? WOW, SOME SOCIETY THAT DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THAT EXPERIENCE COUNTS AS MUCH AS A MASTERS DEGREE. I HAVE AN ASSOCIATES DEGREE…IT MAY AS WELL BE A 3RD GRADE EDUCATION. 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE WILL GET YOU ABOUT 10 BUCKS AN HOUR. HELP!!!!!!

Anonymous 04/07/2008 10:04pm

God Bless you Ted Kennedy for sponsoring S2544. You’re one of the few politicians that still watches out for the average Joe. I and my family would be very greatful for a few more weeks of unemployment compensation just to get us thru this rough patch until another job comes around.

After having served honorably in Afghanistan and Iraq, I returned to a shaky US economy in July 2006 and was fortunately able to find a job relatively quickly. However, in late August 2007 I was laid-off and have been unable to find work since. I have been working since I was 16 years old (now 35) and have never seen such a depressed economy.

It seems obvious to everyone but the greediest of politicians politicians (and particularly to Bush) that the economy is in a downward spiral. It seems that many politicians are too busy feeding at the trough at the public’s expense, and are so disconnected to the reality of the economic crisis occurring in the country to even notice the disasterous state of the economy.

Can any politician say, “HOME MORTGAGE CRISIS, HIGH FUEL PRICES, STAGFLATION, RAMPANT UNEMPLOYMENT, MEDICAL INSURANCE COSTS THAT HAVE TRIPLED IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS?” Oh yea, I forgot, politicians get the best medical insurance plans for FREE. Well, you’ve got to look out for No. 1 of course. Bush and the spineless politicians that failed to vote for the unemployment extension think that the measly stimulus checks are going to get the economy back on track. HA! What a joke.

Is this how politicians repay servicemen and women that risked their lives when called for duty? It’s disgusting to see fat cat politicians living “high on the hog” while the rest of us are left scrambling for crumbs.

These politicians that are dragging their feet on S2544 need to WAKE UP and get your headS out of their . . . the sand. We’re in a RECESSION and the unemployed need relief RIGHT NOW, not tomorrow or the next day, RIGHT NOW! Let’s move S. 2544 along.

Your humble servant in arms.

GulfWarVet 04/07/2008 10:07pm

Your humble servant in arms.

Anonymous 04/08/2008 6:00am

I too am out of work and exhausted my unemployment benefits in February. Presently I have no income and sure could use an extension. I also have no health insurance either. I’m hanging in there with a small savings that I have but that is going to take me only so far. HELP!!!!!

Anonymous 04/09/2008 5:41am

Fight Ted Fight! It’s the Irish Way!
IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH! A TRAITOR! A LIAR! A THEIF! PUT HIM IN THE STREET! EVERYONE SPEAK OUT! DON’T JUST WAIT FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN. GET UP AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Anonymous 04/11/2008 8:38pm

Last unemployment check was a week ago Tuesday. I even went to school to update my computer certs…Applied for at least 70 jobs. Only about 4 responses, and nothing solid yet.

Please, my family needs help now. I am looking like I used to…I used to get companies fighting over me and offering me sign on bonuses (Information Technology). Now it’s even hard to get an interview because of the # of applicants.

Out of money, and worrying…………

Anonymous 04/12/2008 4:06pm

I am unemployed and a mother of four. I am getting very concerned that I will exhaust my unemployment benefits in the near future. Please continue to push for an extension that is desperately needed by so many here, that were forced from their positions in companies that have moved their workforce overseas.

WashingtonGirl 04/15/2008 11:20am

Senator Kennedy,

It is an honor to have a man like you serving the people of America for so long. You are indeed the hardest working person in the Senate. Thank you for standing up for the middle class. Many of us have been unemployed for over 6 months now. I am now using up my retirement account. As a middle aged person, there are not a lot of years to repair the damage. I believed in the American dream by working hard and obtaining college degrees. Bush’s policies and his war have squandered our futures. With job shrinkage, rising food and gas prices, we are fearful of our futures. Please continue the fight for UI extended benefits.

My best,

Washington State Resident

Anonymous 06/08/2008 1:56pm

PLEASE HONOR SENATOR KENNEDY’s WORK by PASSING 2544!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous 05/16/2008 8:31pm

I have taken the time to read all the above comments which seems to be centered around desparate people who need assistance to survive. This is not a reality tv show!! America is in despriate need of government representatives who are willing to for-go the money they receive from big companies to fundle money into their re-election funds!!
These companies own Washington now!! I once spoke to a first time representative during his first campaign and ask him to “keep it honest.” I now believe he has sold me out!!! I do not think I will ever vote for him again. NOW…let’s look at the picture with one of our upcoming Dem. political candidates….Mr. Obama and his Senate Bill 2433. This is another tax to be placed on middle working class taxpayers. He is willing to sponsor a bill that would take .7% of this nations GNP and give it to the UN. We all know how the UN squanders money and gives it to unknown individuals in some unforgotten place! This is going to be in the tune of a a world tax for us to pay. This bill has already passed the House and is now in the Senate. Let’s see if Kennedy can stand up to Obama on this bill, especially, since he has endorsed him for President. I don’t think so!! We (anyone with a lick-of-sense) all know that the next President will have to raise taxes to pay for Bush’s War which is costing middle class taxpayers several billion dollars each month. You do not hear anything about the Chinese buying up the Treasury Notes from the Fed. Reserve to finance Bush’s War. The Chinese are building the world’s largest/best submarine force from all the money that is being made from sale of products in this country. Thus, we are financing their military and the sale of our own country to the Chinese!! Mr. Kennedy when are you going to step up to the plate and stop the deportation of American jobs so that these people will not need unemplovment benefits…however, since America is in the current situation something must be done…therefore, support the bill these individuals are requesting you to do……also, you must be expecting something in return for your endorsement of another political candidate…WHAT IS IT!!!
One might get the idea that I am against some individuals who are running for President of this great nation…however, I am for a person who will uphold the Constitution of the United States….I haven’t seen that done in several years….too much graft in the political officals today. Its time for those in offices in Washington under the pretense of representing the American to face up to the problems facing the taxpayers:
1. The economy….companies moving out of our borders to
avoid unions, benefits for workers, and Social
Security payments, etc.
2. Immigration….this is part of the problem with the
economy….there is no such thing as “UNEMPLOYMENT”.
Just lots of work that some American’s will not do.
Send some of the Mexicans back and tell Americans
jobs are now availible. If you are going to
represent America have the balls to step up to the
plate and do so! NOT FOREIGNERS who have no rights
under our Constitution except to be treated as humans
and sent back to their country via their country’s
expense!
3. Bush’s War….have the balls to stop the funding of a
war that he started….and I am not talking about the
one in Afganistan! Cutting funds is not ending your
support for the troups..which everyone hollows when
this issue comes up…it is going to get them out of
harms way…tell Bush you are not going to support
this any more that it is over…don’t let him carry
his war over into the next adm. for someone else to
deal with and to have to swollow the blame.

AN IF YOU CAN NOT DO THESE THINGS YOU NEED TO HAVE BRASS ENOUGH ON YOUR FACE AND STEP ASIDE AND LET SOME ONE WHO WILL. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW…I AM 66 YEARS OLD…IF THAT MEANS ANYTHING…I HAVE BEEN KEEPING UP WITH YOU IN OFFICE FROM DAY ONE AND SOME OF IT HAS NOT BEEN NICE…SO && OR GET OFF THE POT!!!!

kgotjesus2001 04/30/2009 8:34am

In 1964, he was seriously injured in a plane crash, and hospitalized for several months. Test results done by the hospital at the time he was admitted had shown he was legally intoxicated. The results of those tests remained a “state secret” until in the 1980’s when the report was unsealed Didn’t hear about that from the unbiased media, did we.
On July 19, 1969, Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick in Massachusetts . At about 11:00 PM, he borrowed his chauffeur’s keys to his Oldsmobile limousine, and offered to give a ride home to Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker. Leaving the island via an unlit bridge with no guard rail, Kennedy steered the car off the bridge, flipped, and into Poucha Pond.

TheGuyFromThatState 07/01/2009 9:04am

Agreed, it would be nice if our CPS could stop treating our kids like sex toys or property… It would be even better if we got together and pulled these failed loosers out of their given positions. The obviously don’t keep the jobs due to skill. Why not fire them? You know, we can still do that.

ranarore 07/02/2009 11:58am

i would like to thank you dear sen.you sponsor “Reuniting Families Act” bill S.1085, and i urge you please to push it forward as much as you can, you are doing something great for thousands of families that are separated from each other, please help us to re unit with our families through this bill, which will help us really and speed up the process for family members of legal immigrants to secure visas. Specifically, it would reclassify spouses and children of legal immigrants as immediate relatives, raise the per-country family-sponsored and employment-based immigration limits from 7 percent to 10 percent of total admissions, recapture visas that went unused in previous years due to bureaucratic errors, allow widows and spouses to remain eligible for visas after the death of a sponsoring family member, and more. will solve our problems and pains.. i beg you to help us .. please..
God Bless you.

Anonymous 03/02/2008 5:13am

Senator Kennedy, thank you for sponsoring S.2544 Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008. I am currently unemployed for the first time in my life since 1979. To no fault of my own other than the fact that I became ill and exhausted my FMLA I am not unemployed. My 26 weeks of unemployment are almost up and I am overwhelmed with the possibility of not having any funds to hold me over. Please continue doing what you are doing and work to make sure this bill passes in Congress as soon as possible.

Official website: