Former Edward Kennedy

Democrat  •  9 Terms  •  Sworn In 1962
Last Term 2007 - 2009 View All

• Moderated Comment

• thepoorpeoples 02/19/2008 8:16pm

HELP OUR KIDS IN THE FOSTER CARE SYSTEM ALL OVER WE NEED FOSTER CARE REFORM TO STOP THESE KIDS FROM BEING RAPED AND BEING USED AS SEX TOYS IN 2008! THE POOR PROPLE’S CAMPAIGN INC MR JERRY ROBINSON TIME TO STAND UP IN 2008 !!

• thepoorpeoples 02/19/2008 8:20pm

HELP OUR KIDS IN THE FOSTER CARE SYSTEM ALL OVER WE NEED FOSTER CARE REFORM TO STOP THESE KIDS FROM BEING RAPED AND BEING USED AS SEX TOYS IN 2008! THE POOR PEOPLE’S CAMPAIGN INC MR JERRY ROBINSON TIME TO STAND UP IN 2008 !!

• Anonymous 03/02/2008 5:13am

Senator Kennedy, thank you for sponsoring S.2544 Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008. I am currently unemployed for the first time in my life since 1979. To no fault of my own other than the fact that I became ill and exhausted my FMLA I am not unemployed. My 26 weeks of unemployment are almost up and I am overwhelmed with the possibility of not having any funds to hold me over. Please continue doing what you are doing and work to make sure this bill passes in Congress as soon as possible.

• Anonymous 03/03/2008 6:12pm
    • WE NEED OUR UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION * WE ARE LOOSING OUR HOMES, OUR AUTOS, OUR RIGHTS TO FIGHT THE ONES WHO MADE THIS HAPPEN, OUR DREAMS, OUR FAMILIES, OUR HOPES, AND OUR MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVE IN THE ARMED FORCES WHO PROTECT US. WE ARE BEGGING FOR THIS UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION BECAUSE WE UNEMPLOYED AMERICANS HAVE TRUST IN OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS TO <<>> WHEN WE AMERICANS ARE IN <<>>. WE ALL KNOW THERE’S A HEART SOMEWHERE STANDING IN WASHINGTON WONDERING ABOUT ALL OF US WHO HAVE LOST OUR HOMES. HOW CAN THAT PERSON SLEEP AT NIGHT NOT CARING ABOUT IF OUR CHILDREN HAVE A ROOF OVER THEIR HEADS AND WHAT IS ON THE DINNING ROOM TABLE FOR OUR CHILDREN AND THEIR CHILDREN?? <<<>>>, (HAVE A HEART!!) WHY ARE YOU LETTING OUR CHILDREN TO GROW UP KNOWING THAT UNCLE SAM TOOK OUR HOMES?
  • jgallop 03/04/2008 6:04am

MR. KENNEDY IF EVER THERE WAS A TIME TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT NOW WOULD HAVE BEEN AMAZING..

• Wcote21 03/06/2008 7:37am

What was Senator Kennedy vote for S.2248? The amendment on Fisa??

donnyshaw 03/06/2008 3:23pm

OpenCongress Staff

If you click on the “See Full Voting History” button above, you will see that Kennedy voted “nay” on final passage of the FISA bill. There were also a dozen or so votes on amendments to the bill before it s final passage — you can also see how he voted on each of those.

• lerichards 03/07/2008 4:46am
    Homeland Security Satellites dangerous to all U S Citizens.

Fear has gripped the Government and many people of The United States, causing havoc among all citizens. Not in history of civilization has such atrocities been realized. Spying and torture has become a common practice to any individual not living the productive life, people who live peacefully, people who are satisfied with their lives.
    Once the Government considers a person or persons unproductive, they are considered alien and a danger to the society. The government fears these people for their disrupting the overall progress of the American Way. Growth and prosperity has become a major concern to those people dwelling in luxury and vanity, while individuals who are satisfied with the common way of living are scrutinized and condemned for being lazy and indifferent to any advancement.
    America is the product of devastation to the planet Earth, and to the realm of outer space. The government has sold-out to the destruction of the planet with endless violations, removing the material resources and destroying natural environment, ending nearly all ecosystems of other forms of life.
    The End

• Anonymous 03/11/2008 8:12am

please push for the emergency unemployment extension, our families are in turmoil.

• Anonymous 03/11/2008 5:39pm

Why would the IRS spend MILLIONS to tell us a check is in the mail?
    PLEASE pass this unemployment extension bill BEFORE you all go on VACATION! American CITIZENS are LOSING their homes!
    Our government seems BROKEN when it cannot help American workers. We CANNOT wait!!! YOU are our GOVERNMENT NOW!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!

• btoner 03/15/2008 10:02am

Dear Senator Kennedy, Thank you for introducing Bill S 2544 Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008. This aid is definitely needed in a time of ecomomic uncertainty and turmoil. I would like to know what I can do to further advance this bill. It seems like there is a strong undertow from the executive branch to put this bill into play. I was shocked when I heard President Bush publicy announce that this would not be part of the stimulus package. I will write my congressman and senators in New Jersey but if you can suggest any other type of action please let me know. Best Regards and Happy Saint Patrick’s Day. Bill Toner

• Anonymous 03/15/2008 10:25am

dear; senator. Kennedy we the people are pleading to act on the bills like s2544 heading up a bill dose not mean squat!the numbers tell you and me that we need unemployment extension now you keep listening to bush it will be ok how has that been working for you.its not for me and hundred of thousand of unemployed will tell you the same we are losing our homes/ correct. i can not predict the future bush said he can (all knowing?)what i know that if we the people do not get help soon there will be no mid/class for you to tax!

• Anonymous 03/19/2008 1:07pm

i

• Anonymous 03/19/2008 1:11pm

I TOO AM OUT OF WORK AND ABOUT TO RUN OUT OF UNEMPLOYMENT MONEY (FRIDAY!). I LEARNED AT MY NJ UNEMPLOYMENT COUNSELING SESSIONS THAT BEING OVER 40!!!! MAKES IT TOUGH TO GET A JOB. CHECK OUT THE WORKERS WHO DO HAVE JOBS, THEY MAY BE YOUNG BUT COMMITTED? EFFICIENT? EVEN NICE? WOW, SOME SOCIETY THAT DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THAT EXPERIENCE COUNTS AS MUCH AS A MASTERS DEGREE. I HAVE AN ASSOCIATES DEGREE…IT MAY AS WELL BE A 3RD GRADE EDUCATION. 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE WILL GET YOU ABOUT 10 BUCKS AN HOUR. HELP!!!!!!

• Anonymous 04/03/2008 8:27am

Recently unemployed worker in a depression ridden state says=HELP?

• Anonymous 04/07/2008 10:04pm

God Bless you Ted Kennedy for sponsoring S2544. You’re one of the few politicians that still watches out for the average Joe. I and my family would be very greatful for a few more weeks of unemployment compensation just to get us thru this rough patch until another job comes around.

After having served honorably in Afghanistan and Iraq, I returned to a shaky US economy in July 2006 and was fortunately able to find a job relatively quickly. However, in late August 2007 I was laid-off and have been unable to find work since. I have been working since I was 16 years old (now 35) and have never seen such a depressed economy.

It seems obvious to everyone but the greediest of politicians politicians (and particularly to Bush) that the economy is in a downward spiral. It seems that many politicians are too busy feeding at the trough at the public’s expense, and are so disconnected to the reality of the economic crisis occurring in the country to even notice the disasterous state of the economy.

Can any politician say, “HOME MORTGAGE CRISIS, HIGH FUEL PRICES, STAGFLATION, RAMPANT UNEMPLOYMENT, MEDICAL INSURANCE COSTS THAT HAVE TRIPLED IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS?” Oh yea, I forgot, politicians get the best medical insurance plans for FREE. Well, you’ve got to look out for No. 1 of course. Bush and the spineless politicians that failed to vote for the unemployment extension think that the measly stimulus checks are going to get the economy back on track. HA! What a joke.

Is this how politicians repay servicemen and women that risked their lives when called for duty? It’s disgusting to see fat cat politicians living “high on the hog” while the rest of us are left scrambling for crumbs.

These politicians that are dragging their feet on S2544 need to WAKE UP and get your headS out of their . . . the sand. We’re in a RECESSION and the unemployed need relief RIGHT NOW, not tomorrow or the next day, RIGHT NOW! Let’s move S. 2544 along.

Your humble servant in arms.

• GulfWarVet 04/07/2008 10:07pm

Your humble servant in arms.

• Anonymous 04/08/2008 6:00am

I too am out of work and exhausted my unemployment benefits in February. Presently I have no income and sure could use an extension. I also have no health insurance either. I’m hanging in there with a small savings that I have but that is going to take me only so far. HELP!!!!!

• Anonymous 04/09/2008 5:41am

Fight Ted Fight! It’s the Irish Way!
    IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH! A TRAITOR! A LIAR! A THEIF! PUT HIM IN THE STREET! EVERYONE SPEAK OUT! DON’T JUST WAIT FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN. GET UP AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!

• Anonymous 04/11/2008 8:38pm

Last unemployment check was a week ago Tuesday. I even went to school to update my computer certs…Applied for at least 70 jobs. Only about 4 responses, and nothing solid yet.

Please, my family needs help now. I am looking like I used to…I used to get companies fighting over me and offering me sign on bonuses (Information Technology). Now it’s even hard to get an interview because of the # of applicants.

Out of money, and worrying…………

• Anonymous 04/12/2008 4:06pm

I am unemployed and a mother of four. I am getting very concerned that I will exhaust my unemployment benefits in the near future. Please continue to push for an extension that is desperately needed by so many here, that were forced from their positions in companies that have moved their workforce overseas.

• WashingtonGirl 04/15/2008 11:20am

Senator Kennedy,

It is an honor to have a man like you serving the people of America for so long. You are indeed the hardest working person in the Senate. Thank you for standing up for the middle class. Many of us have been unemployed for over 6 months now. I am now using up my retirement account. As a middle aged person, there are not a lot of years to repair the damage. I believed in the American dream by working hard and obtaining college degrees. Bush’s policies and his war have squandered our futures. With job shrinkage, rising food and gas prices, we are fearful of our futures. Please continue the fight for UI extended benefits.

My best,

Washington State Resident

• Anonymous 04/29/2008 10:55am

my unemployment benefits end in 3 weeks i still cannot find a job please push for the extended benefits.

• Anonymous 05/16/2008 8:31pm

I have taken the time to read all the above comments which seems to be centered around desparate people who need assistance to survive. This is not a reality tv show!! America is in despriate need of government representatives who are willing to for-go the money they receive from big companies to fundle money into their re-election funds!!
    These companies own Washington now!! I once spoke to a first time representative during his first campaign and ask him to “keep it honest.” I now believe he has sold me out!!! I do not think I will ever vote for him again. NOW…let’s look at the picture with one of our upcoming Dem. political candidates….Mr. Obama and his Senate Bill 2433. This is another tax to be placed on middle working class taxpayers. He is willing to sponsor a bill that would take .7% of this nations GNP and give it to the UN. We all know how the UN squanders money and gives it to unknown individuals in some unforgotten place! This is going to be in the tune of a a world tax for us to pay. This bill has already passed the House and is now in the Senate. Let’s see if Kennedy can stand up to Obama on this bill, especially, since he has endorsed him for President. I don’t think so!! We (anyone with a lick-of-sense) all know that the next President will have to raise taxes to pay for Bush’s War which is costing middle class taxpayers several billion dollars each month. You do not hear anything about the Chinese buying up the Treasury Notes from the Fed. Reserve to finance Bush’s War. The Chinese are building the world’s largest/best submarine force from all the money that is being made from sale of products in this country. Thus, we are financing their military and the sale of our own country to the Chinese!! Mr. Kennedy when are you going to step up to the plate and stop the deportation of American jobs so that these people will not need unemplovment benefits…however, since America is in the current situation something must be done…therefore, support the bill these individuals are requesting you to do……also, you must be expecting something in return for your endorsement of another political candidate…WHAT IS IT!!!
    One might get the idea that I am against some individuals who are running for President of this great nation…however, I am for a person who will uphold the Constitution of the United States….I haven’t seen that done in several years….too much graft in the political officals today. Its time for those in offices in Washington under the pretense of representing the American to face up to the problems facing the taxpayers:
    1. The economy….companies moving out of our borders to
    avoid unions, benefits for workers, and Social
    Security payments, etc.
    2. Immigration….this is part of the problem with the
    economy….there is no such thing as “UNEMPLOYMENT”.
    Just lots of work that some American’s will not do.
    Send some of the Mexicans back and tell Americans
    jobs are now availible. If you are going to
    represent America have the balls to step up to the
    plate and do so! NOT FOREIGNERS who have no rights
    under our Constitution except to be treated as humans
    and sent back to their country via their country’s
    expense!
    3. Bush’s War….have the balls to stop the funding of a
    war that he started….and I am not talking about the
    one in Afganistan! Cutting funds is not ending your
    support for the troups..which everyone hollows when
    this issue comes up…it is going to get them out of
    harms way…tell Bush you are not going to support
    this any more that it is over…don’t let him carry
    his war over into the next adm. for someone else to
    deal with and to have to swollow the blame.

AN IF YOU CAN NOT DO THESE THINGS YOU NEED TO HAVE BRASS ENOUGH ON YOUR FACE AND STEP ASIDE AND LET SOME ONE WHO WILL. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW…I AM 66 YEARS OLD…IF THAT MEANS ANYTHING…I HAVE BEEN KEEPING UP WITH YOU IN OFFICE FROM DAY ONE AND SOME OF IT HAS NOT BEEN NICE…SO && OR GET OFF THE POT!!!!

• Anonymous 05/18/2008 12:37am

Hope you get well soon,

• Anonymous 06/08/2008 1:56pm

PLEASE HONOR SENATOR KENNEDY’s WORK by PASSING 2544!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous 06/11/2008 7:05pm

Wouldn’t you think that Barack (who you endorsed) could get back to work in the Senate and do SOMETHING concrete for this country?
    He’s being paid for this job and doing nothing.
    Why can’t he pass Kennedy’s bill (which he cosponsored)?
    If he can’t get things done in the Senate, don’t EVEN make promises for when it’s too late!!!!!!!!!!!
    Give up a photo op, Barack, and get some work done in the Senate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• gkdaw_usa 07/15/2008 3:02pm

I think if one or more of the senators have a vested interest in Oil or alterative energy, they should not be able to vote becouse they have a vested interest in one or the other and it will be the only way to get a real honest VOTE in Congress.

• Anonymous 07/27/2008 5:56am

I think exceptionally high unemployment should be defined. How can a bill be passed with such vague terminology?

Official website: