Sen. Mary Landrieu

Democrat  •  Louisiana  •  3rd Term  •  Sworn In 1997
Current Term 2009 - 2015 View All

• Moderated Comment

• Anonymous 06/09/2008 4:37pm

How many zeros in a billion?
    This is too true to be funny.

The next time you hear a politician use the
    word ‘billion’ in a casual manner, think about
    whether you want the ‘politicians’ spending
    YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend,
    but one advertising agency did a good job of
    putting that figure into some perspective in
    one of it’s releases.

A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were
    living in the Stone Age.

D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E. A billion dollars ago was only
    8 hours and 20 minutes,
    at the rate our government
    is spending it.
    While this thought is still fresh in our brain…
    let’s take a look at New Orleans ..
    It’s amazing what you can learn with some simple division.

Louisiana Senator,
    Mary Landrieu (D)
    is presently asking Congress for
    250 BILLION DOLLARS
    to rebuild New Orleans . Interesting number…
    what does it mean?

A. Well… if you are one of the 484,674 residents of New Orleans
    (every man, woman, and child)
    you each get $516,528.

B. Or… if you have one of the 188,251 homes in
    New Orleans , your home gets $1,329,787.

C. Or… if you are a family of four…
    your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington, D. C
    < HELLO! >
    Are all your calculators broken??

Accounts Receivable Tax
    Building Permit Tax
    CDL License Tax
    Cigarette Tax
    Corporate Income Tax
    Dog License Tax
    Federal Income Tax
    Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
    Fishing License Tax
    Food License Tax
    Fuel Permit Tax
    Gasoline Tax
    Hunting Licen se Tax
    Inheritance Tax
    Inventory Tax
    IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)
    IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
    Liquor Tax
    Luxury Tax
    Marriage License Tax
    Medicare Tax
    Property Tax
    Real Estate Tax
    Service charge taxes
    Social Security Tax
    Road Usage Tax (Truckers)
    Sales Taxes
    Recreational Vehicle Tax
    School Tax
    State Income Tax
    State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
    Telephone Federal Excise Tax
    Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
    Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax
    Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
    Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
    Telephone State and Local Tax
    Telephone Usage Charge Tax
    Utility Tax
    Vehicle License Registration Tax
    Vehicle Sales Tax
    Watercraft Registration Tax
    Well Permit Tax
    Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago…
    and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.

We had absolutely no national debt…
    We had the largest middle class in the world…

What happened?
    Can you spell ‘politicians!’

And I still have to
    press “1”
    for English.

I hope this goes around the
    USA
    at least 100 times

What the heck happened?

tagus 09/27/2010 12:50am

I downvoted this because I was disappointed that he started over after E. I was hoping for a full alphabet.

And because the comment is long, boring, and retarded.

rlwilliamson68 03/15/2012 10:53am
    Well said anonymous. I’ve also looked at the comments from tagus. From what I’ve seen tagus, you must think it’s the governments (taxpayer) job to take care of you from cradle to grave. That’s not in the powers granted to them in the Constitution by We The People. Try reading it.
  • benflying 02/11/2009 3:19am

Sen. Landieu to listen or be swayed but writing or contact from her stand and vote on any issue. She follows the party line no matter where it leads. She does not stand for anything but Washington inside business as usual. I have written my views on many subjects that we face i8n Louisiana and as a nation. On not one issue has she voted against party lines. And don’t expect to get a response unless you are part of her so called inside friends. Like many in Louisiana politics money and corruption seems to fill their time and average tax payer and voter does not count.

We in Louisiana are left with same response we got from last 5 years since Katrina and Rita. Don’t expect any help because it’s not coming.

People here know the only way out is do it yourself.

tagus 09/27/2010 12:52am

“She follows the party line no matter where it leads.”

That’s not true… its 91%. So there have been times where she didn’t follow the party….

• Spam Comment

chuckgriever 11/22/2009 1:28pm

Like I said before Doug … we will eat you first!!!

• chuckgriever 11/22/2009 1:28pm

So you took the $100 Million bribe from your own party. This wont happen too many more times!!!!

• OLDSKLCHEVY 12/16/2009 4:45am

Mary Landrieu is not listening to her constituents!

• rugby6 12/19/2009 4:26pm

How’s all that hope and change workin’ out for all of ya? Huh? What a joke these idiots are in Washington, a sick joke.

• Homebuilt7 12/20/2009 7:21am

Whore is an understatement.

• fortermlimits 12/24/2009 5:53pm

Well, well, well we have here a true democrat, a true liberal, a true traitor to her constituents and we have to put up with her until 2014!!!

• Anonymous 12/25/2009 3:59pm

bribery is wrong. bribery with other people’s money is even worse.

mary landrieu accepted a bribe with taxpayer money. anyone who votes for him is insane.

• Spam Comment

• Anonymous 02/21/2010 4:29am

• Jzyehoshua 03/07/2010 9:16pm

Landrieu has been seemingly criticized unfairly. As she’s pointed out, Republicans in her state like Bobby Jindal supported the measure for Medicaid she’d proposed, and indeed had been pushing for it for months. As a result, Louisiana Republicans are silent and Jindal refuses to speak out against her, or defend her, since she simply did what he’d been pushing for for months.

Landrieu is a pro-life Democrat, affiliated with DFLA. So is Ben Nelson, and his ‘deal’ involved new abortion restrictions on the health care bill. Both make convenient targets, but accusations here may be premature.

• zydecoguru 03/22/2010 1:30am

Thank you Senator Landrieu for supporting health care reform. This means so much to the vast numbers of people from Louisiana who have access to little or no health care. You have my support!

budsbyugirl 03/23/2010 9:01am

People have access to healthcare NOW.. I have gone to University Medical Center in Lafayette LA. Go visit there its always busy.
    What more do people want?? A lolipop with their visit..

I am sick & tired of paying for people who dont want to help themselves or their OWN families. They Just want to Continue to live off the Government for generations.. And Now we paying for all the illegal aliens in this Country!!!

You want to Overhaul something, Start with Welfare and Goverment Handouts,,And Guard our borders to stop illegals.

tagus 09/27/2010 12:43am

Its a 5 hour drive to Lafyette from Shreveport even if you break the speed limit. Don’t say that I have access to healthcare now. I don’t.

And even if I was somehow able to make it to Lafyette with whatever problem I had (the extreme example would be a broken bone or something, I guess), you know as well as I do that if it were anything even close to serious, those medical students wouldn’t be able to help me. They’d just refer me somewhere else.

I’m really mad that this is what you call a lollipop with my visit. That just pisses me off.

tagus 09/27/2010 12:44am

Seriously. That’s just not nice.

• budsbyugirl 03/23/2010 8:54am

Shame on You for Not listening to the people of LOUISIANA. We do not want OBAMACARE.

I have read that the Government will have real-time acces to my Personnel banking info. This access is going to drain the American public, by all the Government Stickey Fingers and/or Corrupt Gov. workers, Who have no Medical degree deciding if I need treatment or not. This is Crazy. Its definitly not The Land Of The Free (anymore)

tagus 09/27/2010 12:40am

I want it…

• klassylady25 03/23/2010 1:08pm

You know you wouldn’t the town would have been messed up but more people would have gotten out. My husband grew up there and we still have family in New Orleans.

Your Mayor was a fool!!!

John Boener said in his address to the Floor on Sunday night said, “Shame on each and every one of you who substitutes your will and your desires above those of your fellow countrymen. Around this chamber, looking upon us are the lawgivers. We break the ties of history in this chamber. We break our trust with Americans.”

Many will be watching and looking for men/woman who exemplifies: Honesty, Reverence, Hope, Thrift, Humility, Charity, Sincerity, Moderation, Hard Work, Courage, Personal Responsibility, and Gratitude.

“I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant, and fill him with a terrible resolve” Isoroku Yamamoto

tagus 09/27/2010 12:48am

We’re all way too lazy to act anything like that Japanese WW2 quote of yours. Don’t act like anything will happen.

And I totally agree with John Boehner’s quote, especially the part where he says “Shame on each and every one of you who substitutes your will and your desires above those of your fellow countrymen.”

I have no problem with my tax dollars paying for any of yall’s medical expenses… and if you don’t feel the same way about at least little old me then “shame on you,” just like John Boehner said. And I’m okay with the tax increases, as long as they’re using it to pay for that shit.

So if you don’t feel the same way, suck my dick.

• klassylady25 03/23/2010 1:08pm

BY THE WAY… NEW ORLEANS HAS LONG BEEN A CHARITY STATE!!!

• klassylady25 03/23/2010 1:10pm

You always ask for special treatment…. just like your daddy…
    It’s a sweetheart deal!!

• miket985 03/26/2010 5:49pm

Senator Landrieu,

Thank you for voting for the health care bill. I know you are getting taken to task by this mostly red state. But many of these same people complaining about your voting record will probably directly benefit from your support of the health care legistation. Some of them are just too dumb to understand who is helping them. Just as the ill-informed person who said, “Tell the government to keep their hands off my Medicare”, I would guess most people have no clue what this legislation will really do. While I am concerned about the costs and how this will really be paid for, I don’t see it as any worse than having to pay an unfunded trillion dollars for an unneccessary war in Iraq that Bush and the fearmonger Republicans pushed on us. At least U.S. citizens are benefitting from this legislation. Please be careful and watch out for those lunatic fringe tea partiers that are out there.

• DOUGLASFIELD 04/26/2010 12:28pm

DEAR SENATOR,

• CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN OTHER THEN SATAN HOW TEXAS GOVERNOR RICK PERRY ON ONE HAND PARDONS FORMER TEXAS INMATE TIMOTHY COLE WHO WAS WRONGFULLY EXECUTED WITHOUT BEING ALLOWED TO EXONERATE HIMSELF USING DNA TESTING IN TEXAS , AND WITHIN THE SAME MONTH THIS SAME GOVERNOR RICK PERRY OF TEXAS DENIES YET ANOTHER DNA TEST PRIOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE WRONGFUL EXECUTION OF HANK SKINNER ???
  • pelmof 06/29/2010 4:51am