Former Sen. Richard Lugar

Republican  •  Indiana 6 Terms  •  Sworn In 1977
Last Term 2007 - 2013 View All

pmpowell001 02/19/2012 5:08pm

Congressman no longer care what the people their representing think. Just about the lobbyists who sponsor them to pay for their campaign. Wish people were more involved to change that rather than voting for the guy whose commercial they liked.

Mocha6 12/18/2010 6:36pm

Thanks for your vote on the dream act. It is what it is but still. Thanks for your support. God bless!

karenlafrance 07/19/2010 7:24am

Senator Lugar, please vote yes to the unemployment extension bill that will come up for vote the week of 7/19/2010. It is appaling that no short term solution could be voted on positively prior to the July 4th recess while both parties argue on and on about details. I am a truly disappointed American voter.

grant3719 07/11/2010 10:30am

Dear Senator
I had respect for you and supported you. I thank you for your service. Now it’s time to go, get out. Service in the congress is not a career it is a privilege. You have out served your usefulness there. Please come back to our fine state and start a new business, i.e. create jobs or just retire.

sharibear 07/07/2010 5:20pm
in reply to C570482 Jul 04, 2010 4:08pm
C570482 07/04/2010 4:08pm

Dear Senator Lugar:

The above comment was in error.

I am writing to implore you to vote for HR 5618, S 3551 or one of the other bills to restore emergency unemployment compensation.

It has been noted that in the past you have against for recent Bills to extend emergency unemployment benefits

As you know, The Congressional Budget Office estimates that every federal dollar invested in unemployment insurance assistance provides a return of $1.90 in economic activity.

Please know citizens are watching the actions of Congress.

C570482 07/04/2010 4:01pm

Dear Senator Lugar:

It has been noted that in the past you have voted for recent Bills to extend emergency unemployment benefits. Thank you, it is appreciated.

Please know citizens are watching the actions of Congress.

pelmof 06/29/2010 4:40am

Dear Senator Lugar,

Revolution 06/28/2010 6:59pm

You are a disgrace to your country and should be embarrassed to have the UNITED STATES in front of your title.4th of July is upon us-it reminds us of history and how the people can come together to make a difference.I hope you and your family meet the same outcome as the 15,000,000+ unemployed.You turned your back on the Citizens by playing games and stupid antics.Assistance needs to be offered to ease the minds of the families and allow continued dignity no matter the cost. You spend OUR money like water and the American people MUST and SHOULD be priority one!
“As good government is an empire of laws, how shall your laws be made? In a large society,inhabiting an extensive country,it is impossible that the whole should assemble to make laws. The first necessary step, then,is to depute power from the many to a few of the most wise and good.”
John Adams, Thoughts on Government, 1776
Obviously we dont have the few wise and good in the senate-but we have the power to change that.

Houselogic 06/28/2010 3:49pm
in reply to Anonymous Apr 17, 2008 5:09am

I agree they never answer calls either. and I voted for this crap bag! Won’t do it again!

johnckewl 06/27/2010 1:06pm

My new campaign slogan… “If you think that Richard Lugar is working for you, you dont know Dick!”

johnckewl 06/27/2010 1:02pm

I have never voted Democrat. I am a conservative and always have been. When Senator Lugar comes up for re-election in 2012, I will remember this time that he voted against me. When I was hungry, he voted against me, when my utilites were being shut off, he voted against me, as my vehicle was being repossed he voted against me. I will vote and campaign against him….. I will remember when I lost everything so he could vote against me.

IndianaDoug 06/25/2010 10:55am

AND PLEASE… WHEN YOU ARE VOTED OUT OF OFFICE… PLEASE STAY IN D.C. OR ANYWHERE ELSE BUT INDIANA… YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE!

IndianaDoug 06/25/2010 10:51am

Senator Lugar…

It is past time for our voices to be heard. Our cries seem to have fallen upon deaf ears. WE THE PEOPLE of the STATE OF INDIANA put you in office to BE OUR VOICE! WE THE PEOPLE CAN… AND WILL… REMOVE YOU FROM OFFICE! Just tuck your tail between your legs like Evan did… AND GET OUT!!! I have been unemployed for over a year and now the Unemployment Extension Bill has FAILED AGAIN with NO PLANS to vote on it again! WTF??!?!? If the Senates’ paychecks were tied to this bill… I GUARANTEE that it would have passed! Senator Hatch wants to now DRUG TEST me so that I can continue to receive what is RIGHTFULLY MINE!!! I say that we drug test all of you clowns and fire ALL of those who fail. QUIT approving OUR money to go to GM, Fannie and Freddie for the bailouts!! I am sorry about the disasters all over the world… but WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO FINANCE IT! EVERY ONE OF YOU CLOWNS… NEEDS TO GO!! OUR VOICES MUST BE HEARD… AND ACTED UPON!!! GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!

Sorry.I had to speak on this.This is completely RACIST.Blacks and Hispanics make up 35% of the 44% that are unemployed and looking for work. I have an Associates Degree and have been out of work for a year and a half. Each job interview I go on,I am told that they are looking for someone that hasn’t been out of work as long as I have. I have over 5 years of experience in surgery and consider it a slap in the face to get beaten out by a new grad with little or no experience. They are laying off police and cutting hours in Indiana.If no one has jobs and they are REFUSING to extend unemployment benefits, that will lead to TURMOIL in our city. People are losing their houses, break-ins are spiking because people are so desperate for small means to get by day to day that they are breaking in and robbing people left and right.I have been on unemployment about a year and have reached my breaking point.I have 2 kids and am facing homelessness each time these greedy, wealthy politicians do this!

AnnaSchaefer 06/20/2010 11:16pm

You and the rest of the Republicans are so transparent! President Obama, as well as us Americans, know what you are doing. Stalling and not voting on what the people want and need in this country. Do the job you were elected to do, and start voting! Your tactics in stalling is only going to back fire on you all. Show our President some respect. How you treat him, is a reflection on how you treat us Americans. We may have been fooled in the past, but not anymore! We The People have spoken by electing President Obama into office. We need change and we need it now! And quit blaming President Obama for the disaster in the Gulf. Enough is enough!

elleedr 06/18/2010 10:26am

If you are apart of the American unemployed or share the same views as the unemployed and want to have a peaceful march on Washington to show that we do need our unemployment or in support of unemployment, email me at unemploymentmarch@yahoo.com. This has to be done, a peaceful stand needs to take place soon to make a difference. Before a lot of Americans lose the little bit that they do have. We didn’t ask for the economy to be this way and it is not our fault that we can not find jobs all at the same time. We worked all of our lives and now that we need help, the people in congress is saying no! We are the ones that help pay for wars, national disasters, and the congressmen paychecks. Now they are telling us that they cannot pass a bill so we can feed and house our families. What is more important the “Oil Spill” or the unemployed and their children. I don’t think so, it’s time for a peaceful march, email me at unemploymentmarch@yahoo.com, to make a peaceful stand now.

MAGGIEB 04/28/2010 9:52pm

I hope the people of Indiana know Lugar took Obama under his wing from Obama’s first days in Washington D.C. Lugar called Obama after he was elected. Lugar is part of Obama’s Global Warming trillion dollar scam in Chicago (Chicago Climate Exchange) I wonder how many votes you could buy with carbon exchange certificates? rihttp://4mainstreet.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/chicago-climate-exchange-has-important-partner-sen-richard-lugar/

DOUGLASFIELD 04/26/2010 12:23pm

DEAR SENATOR,

• CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN OTHER THEN SATAN HOW TEXAS GOVERNOR RICK PERRY ON ONE HAND PARDONS FORMER TEXAS INMATE TIMOTHY COLE WHO WAS WRONGFULLY EXECUTED WITHOUT BEING ALLOWED TO EXONERATE HIMSELF USING DNA TESTING IN TEXAS , AND WITHIN THE SAME MONTH THIS SAME GOVERNOR RICK PERRY OF TEXAS DENIES YET ANOTHER DNA TEST PRIOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE WRONGFUL EXECUTION OF HANK SKINNER ???
grant3719 04/05/2010 10:07am

Senator Lugar

Just a little business 101.
Businesses that are in good financial condition don’t need more employees! They just laid off the ones they could not afford. Thus high unemployment. High unemployment means fewer customers for existing businesses. This means less need for existing businesses products. Which means more layoffs … let’s not go there.

The solution is “NEW” job creation. Not rehiring for old positions. Creating NEW positions. Not in old businesses that are in good financial condition but brand new JOBS. That means “NEW” business.

grant3719 04/05/2010 10:06am

The banking industry is still not willing to take the risk of a new startup ventures. Therefore, to create jobs the government will need to loan or grant monies to NEW entrepreneurs. Men and Women that have found a “need” and a way to fill that “need” who, like me are looking for funding. If congress really wants to create jobs, new jobs then the policy of not Granting or Direct Loaning money for new start up business must be reversed.

grant3719 04/05/2010 10:01am

I have been out of work for three years. However, I went to school, I got a degree; I found a need and a way to fulfill that need. I developed a business plan that shows my business can be successful. I have consumed all my personal resources in researching and developing the idea in to a plan of action. Now I am ready to move forward. I could employ 15 or more during construction, another 20 to 50 permanent employees in residual positions with other business, as well as 6 to 10 permanent full time employees in my own business. In my local economy, that is a big deal. That’s how we will come out of the Great Recession. No more giving to the business that can’t compete, like GM or banks that won’t compete or laws to support insurances, like Obomacare. How about some good old common since!

CongNewman 02/09/2010 5:42pm
in reply to abaratar Jul 22, 2009 9:35am

I think Lugar is fine with you carrying a weapon to defend yourself. As long as everyone can see you have a weapon. As the word CONCEALED means, hidden.

Spam Comment

omegaclass 12/20/2009 7:22am

it’s time to get all new representatives for Indiana, they are all dirty, all on the take and drunk on the rich man’s money. a drunk sailor is more conservative then these guys.

it is my opinion that we need to put a stop to career politicians they go into office with good intentions and leave corrupt, bank accounts full and us (the common man) a lot poorer then the year before.

Ladies and Gentleman i know what you are thinking; “no my guy is honest, good and pure as the Antarctic wind drive show” NOT SO! our representatives are like children with their dad’s cell phone and when dad get the bill he is angry because there isn’t the money in the budget to pay the bills. so the family eats macaroni and cheese for the next three months.

Listen to reason my friends, if we keep doing what we have been doing we are going to keep getting we have been getting. TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE.

omegaclass 12/19/2009 9:33am
in reply to abaratar Jul 22, 2009 9:35am

i think its time to put in an independent conservative in his place. this guy doesn’t support the people who sent him to Washington, that goes triple for our other two representatives here in Indiana.

i think it’s time to start a radio station here in Indiana that will report on what these guys are doing to us and support their competitors free of charge to help replace these guys. their record shows they have sold us all out for their party and personal gain.

anyone interested in this endeavor let me know.

mbsell 12/08/2009 12:45pm
Lugar has voted his own agended for years now, I personally have not and will not vote him. I have been amazed that this guy keeps getting elected, he continues to vote his own agended, in order to keep getting paid by the lobbyist that made, continue to make him rich. Come on Indiana wake up this guy will and is ruining our state. Vote this embarrassment out.
Bendrx 12/07/2009 5:20am
in reply to c_peterson2003 Nov 30, 2009 1:51pm

Spiritof76 never said he violated the Constitution. The poster stated that senators in general don’t uphold the Consitution. The only comment directed at Lugar was he’s been in office too long. And personally I agree Lugar needs to go, I won’t be voting for him again (Yes, I was for him last time). There is a general frustration with the government. The era of Bush wasn’t so hot, and a great many knee-jerked us into Obama, and now people are starting to look at things more critically, as we should have been all along. All in all Spritof76 may not have made an A+ post, but didn’t make any accusations toward Lugar as seemed to be implied.

c_peterson2003 11/30/2009 1:51pm
in reply to spiritof76 Sep 08, 2009 6:03pm

Those are pretty words, but how has he violated the constitution?

c_peterson2003 11/30/2009 1:46pm
in reply to protectfreedom Oct 23, 2009 5:22am

I don’t understand why republicans have this idea of “with us or against us” to the extreme right. I personally find Senator Lugar a very balanced official. I certainly don’t agree with some of his stances, but at least he seems reasonable, I have received a response on most of my letters to him. I am a left leaning moderate, but I have always voted for him as his experience makes him an asset to foreign affairs and because he is a free thinking conservative (a rare find nowadays). Unless something drastic happens I will continue to cast my vote to keep him in office.

Official website: