Former Sen. Richard Lugar

Republican  •  Indiana 6 Terms  •  Sworn In 1977
Last Term 2007 - 2013 View All

abaratar 07/22/2009 9:35am

Lugar voted against concealed carry of fire arms by responsible Americans, he does not believe you have the right to protect yourself or in the 2nd amendment. The bill was defeated by two votes he was one of them, 20 democrat voted in support of the bill. How did this guy get elected as a republican?

Spam Comment

omegaclass 12/20/2009 7:22am

it’s time to get all new representatives for Indiana, they are all dirty, all on the take and drunk on the rich man’s money. a drunk sailor is more conservative then these guys.

it is my opinion that we need to put a stop to career politicians they go into office with good intentions and leave corrupt, bank accounts full and us (the common man) a lot poorer then the year before.

Ladies and Gentleman i know what you are thinking; “no my guy is honest, good and pure as the Antarctic wind drive show” NOT SO! our representatives are like children with their dad’s cell phone and when dad get the bill he is angry because there isn’t the money in the budget to pay the bills. so the family eats macaroni and cheese for the next three months.

Listen to reason my friends, if we keep doing what we have been doing we are going to keep getting we have been getting. TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE.

jgrove255 09/11/2009 7:34am

I’ll never vote for Senator Lugar again, given his recent voting activity concerning his ‘NO’ vote for Senate Amendment 1618 (Carrying Concealed Firearms) and his supporting vote for Cass Sunstein!

I’m in complete agreement with spirtof76’s previous comment… When will these politicians uphold the oath of office they swore to in regards to the Constitution! We, the people, need to stand-up and take our Republic back!

spiritof76 09/08/2009 6:03pm

Lugar has been a senator too long he needs to go, as well as bayh. NONE of them take their oath to the constitution seriously. all of this is the voters fault we are the bosses and have not protected our freedom and rights. Until the voters wake up we will get more of the same. Shame on them but shame on us for voting for the same hacks season after season expecting different results. As Madison said of the constitution, it is only a paper barrier if the people will not protect it it will not stand.

Spam Comment

grant3719 07/11/2010 10:30am

Dear Senator
I had respect for you and supported you. I thank you for your service. Now it’s time to go, get out. Service in the congress is not a career it is a privilege. You have out served your usefulness there. Please come back to our fine state and start a new business, i.e. create jobs or just retire.

Spam Comment

karenlafrance 07/19/2010 7:24am

Senator Lugar, please vote yes to the unemployment extension bill that will come up for vote the week of 7/19/2010. It is appaling that no short term solution could be voted on positively prior to the July 4th recess while both parties argue on and on about details. I am a truly disappointed American voter.

C570482 07/04/2010 4:08pm

Dear Senator Lugar:

The above comment was in error.

I am writing to implore you to vote for HR 5618, S 3551 or one of the other bills to restore emergency unemployment compensation.

It has been noted that in the past you have against for recent Bills to extend emergency unemployment benefits

As you know, The Congressional Budget Office estimates that every federal dollar invested in unemployment insurance assistance provides a return of $1.90 in economic activity.

Please know citizens are watching the actions of Congress.

Bendrx 12/07/2009 5:20am
in reply to c_peterson2003 Nov 30, 2009 1:51pm

Spiritof76 never said he violated the Constitution. The poster stated that senators in general don’t uphold the Consitution. The only comment directed at Lugar was he’s been in office too long. And personally I agree Lugar needs to go, I won’t be voting for him again (Yes, I was for him last time). There is a general frustration with the government. The era of Bush wasn’t so hot, and a great many knee-jerked us into Obama, and now people are starting to look at things more critically, as we should have been all along. All in all Spritof76 may not have made an A+ post, but didn’t make any accusations toward Lugar as seemed to be implied.

Anonymous 04/17/2008 5:09am

It’s too bad that Indiana’s elected officials don’t answer letters that are written to them. I guess once they hit the beltway, they don’t care any more.

Spam Comment

Sorry.I had to speak on this.This is completely RACIST.Blacks and Hispanics make up 35% of the 44% that are unemployed and looking for work. I have an Associates Degree and have been out of work for a year and a half. Each job interview I go on,I am told that they are looking for someone that hasn’t been out of work as long as I have. I have over 5 years of experience in surgery and consider it a slap in the face to get beaten out by a new grad with little or no experience. They are laying off police and cutting hours in Indiana.If no one has jobs and they are REFUSING to extend unemployment benefits, that will lead to TURMOIL in our city. People are losing their houses, break-ins are spiking because people are so desperate for small means to get by day to day that they are breaking in and robbing people left and right.I have been on unemployment about a year and have reached my breaking point.I have 2 kids and am facing homelessness each time these greedy, wealthy politicians do this!

grant3719 04/05/2010 10:01am

I have been out of work for three years. However, I went to school, I got a degree; I found a need and a way to fulfill that need. I developed a business plan that shows my business can be successful. I have consumed all my personal resources in researching and developing the idea in to a plan of action. Now I am ready to move forward. I could employ 15 or more during construction, another 20 to 50 permanent employees in residual positions with other business, as well as 6 to 10 permanent full time employees in my own business. In my local economy, that is a big deal. That’s how we will come out of the Great Recession. No more giving to the business that can’t compete, like GM or banks that won’t compete or laws to support insurances, like Obomacare. How about some good old common since!

grant3719 04/05/2010 10:06am

The banking industry is still not willing to take the risk of a new startup ventures. Therefore, to create jobs the government will need to loan or grant monies to NEW entrepreneurs. Men and Women that have found a “need” and a way to fill that “need” who, like me are looking for funding. If congress really wants to create jobs, new jobs then the policy of not Granting or Direct Loaning money for new start up business must be reversed.

grant3719 04/05/2010 10:07am

Senator Lugar

Just a little business 101.
Businesses that are in good financial condition don’t need more employees! They just laid off the ones they could not afford. Thus high unemployment. High unemployment means fewer customers for existing businesses. This means less need for existing businesses products. Which means more layoffs … let’s not go there.

The solution is “NEW” job creation. Not rehiring for old positions. Creating NEW positions. Not in old businesses that are in good financial condition but brand new JOBS. That means “NEW” business.

IndianaDoug 06/25/2010 10:55am

AND PLEASE… WHEN YOU ARE VOTED OUT OF OFFICE… PLEASE STAY IN D.C. OR ANYWHERE ELSE BUT INDIANA… YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE!

IndianaDoug 06/25/2010 10:51am

Senator Lugar…

It is past time for our voices to be heard. Our cries seem to have fallen upon deaf ears. WE THE PEOPLE of the STATE OF INDIANA put you in office to BE OUR VOICE! WE THE PEOPLE CAN… AND WILL… REMOVE YOU FROM OFFICE! Just tuck your tail between your legs like Evan did… AND GET OUT!!! I have been unemployed for over a year and now the Unemployment Extension Bill has FAILED AGAIN with NO PLANS to vote on it again! WTF??!?!? If the Senates’ paychecks were tied to this bill… I GUARANTEE that it would have passed! Senator Hatch wants to now DRUG TEST me so that I can continue to receive what is RIGHTFULLY MINE!!! I say that we drug test all of you clowns and fire ALL of those who fail. QUIT approving OUR money to go to GM, Fannie and Freddie for the bailouts!! I am sorry about the disasters all over the world… but WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO FINANCE IT! EVERY ONE OF YOU CLOWNS… NEEDS TO GO!! OUR VOICES MUST BE HEARD… AND ACTED UPON!!! GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!

johnckewl 06/27/2010 1:02pm

I have never voted Democrat. I am a conservative and always have been. When Senator Lugar comes up for re-election in 2012, I will remember this time that he voted against me. When I was hungry, he voted against me, when my utilites were being shut off, he voted against me, as my vehicle was being repossed he voted against me. I will vote and campaign against him….. I will remember when I lost everything so he could vote against me.

johnckewl 06/27/2010 1:06pm

My new campaign slogan… “If you think that Richard Lugar is working for you, you dont know Dick!”

Spam Comment

pelmof 06/29/2010 4:40am

Dear Senator Lugar,

Spam Comment

MAGGIEB 04/28/2010 9:52pm

I hope the people of Indiana know Lugar took Obama under his wing from Obama’s first days in Washington D.C. Lugar called Obama after he was elected. Lugar is part of Obama’s Global Warming trillion dollar scam in Chicago (Chicago Climate Exchange) I wonder how many votes you could buy with carbon exchange certificates? rihttp://4mainstreet.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/chicago-climate-exchange-has-important-partner-sen-richard-lugar/

c_peterson2003 11/30/2009 1:51pm
in reply to spiritof76 Sep 08, 2009 6:03pm

Those are pretty words, but how has he violated the constitution?

dantk 06/23/2008 2:11pm

Senator Lugar, This is a request asking you to please push this War Funding Supplement, New GI Bill, Disaster Relief Funds ans Unemployment Extensions through the Senate. We all know you have strong Leadership in the Senate and with your great influence allot of people’s lives will be in much better shape. We the People are asking to have the Senate pass this Legislation exactly the way Congress and the White House drafted the Bill. Please do not put any more additions to it. Just leave the Language as is and send it through the Senate and on to the President for his signature. Thank You for your time and consideration.
Sincerely and Respectfully,
dantk

Anonymous 07/02/2008 1:40am

Shame, shame, shame! I can’t believe you voted against HR6331. Why? HR6331 bill contents is what got me back to walking good with only a cane because I had a granuloma on the spine it had damaged many nerves and muscles. I had continue my therapy through the outpatient pt but they told me that had done all that they could do. I went to a private therapist who put together a awesome program for me. I just not walking but I have coordination, better stability, balance. If I had of stop my therapy eight months ago I would have still needed assistance at home with day to day activies.

mbsell 12/08/2009 12:45pm
Lugar has voted his own agended for years now, I personally have not and will not vote him. I have been amazed that this guy keeps getting elected, he continues to vote his own agended, in order to keep getting paid by the lobbyist that made, continue to make him rich. Come on Indiana wake up this guy will and is ruining our state. Vote this embarrassment out.
protectfreedom 10/23/2009 5:22am

HR 2647: All the reason I need (among many others) to do my very patriotic best to make sure this RINO never serves another term in Congress. Mr. Lugar no longer represents the people who keep putting him in office year after year. We are awake, becoming educated and informed and identifying those who do not represent the founding priniciples or display good ol’ fashioned common sense. WE THE PEOPLE are taking back our nation and WE CONSERVATIVES are taking back the republican party. Mr. Lugar, enjoy what time you have left in office because it will be your last term.
YOU’RE FIRED!