Sen. Charles Schumer

Democrat  •  New York  •  3rd Term  •  Sworn In 1999
Current Term 2011 - 2017 View All

• Moderated Comment

• Anonymous 03/06/2008 9:52am

COME ON PUSH FOR THE UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION. IT’S A GOOD THING . THE UNEMPLOYED MAY BE ABLE TO STAY IN THEIR HOMES, KIDS CAN FINISH THE SCHOOL YEAR UNDER A ROOF.

delladesign 04/18/2013 11:31am

Yes their is a problem here with this issue of unemployment. I was taken off unemployment and didn’t get a chance to receive EB I would like to know are black American being black ball because we have a black man in office. I have been out of work for almost two years now and haven’t gotten a job yet and I have a college degree. what is going on here. I live in NY all my life I have never same anything like this before. why American black can’t get a job.

• Anonymous 03/06/2008 1:35pm

Get off the backside of your butt and do SOMETHING for this country. Rip the environmentalists a new body cavity and get our own oil in our system so we can save the 6.1 TRILLION dollars the arabs are going to reap from this latest increase in a barrel of oil. What must we do to heat our homes? Paying more than 3 bucks a gallon for heating oil is ludicrous because our government can’t stand up for us. Give more money to the world, The cost of making ethanol is costing more than it’s worth in burning in a car. All that’s accomplishing is to drive up the cost of food. Nice going, a real snooker job on congress for this fiasco. Go environmentalists and Al Gore, wreck this country as fast as you can.

• Anonymous 03/14/2008 6:34am

Dear Senator Schumer,
    I have just read the article in the link above that describes how our country is representing me. My disgust and outrage with this disregard for human rights makes me angered to have to own up to this representation by my government.

In the most humble way possible, as a citizen of the United States, I beg of you to stop the actions of detention without representation or charges, torture and any other non-compliance with US law on international grounds. It misrepresents the freedom that we would like the world to see us for and makes it more unsafe for the citizens of this country and others.

Thank you for your time in reading my plea. I hope we can hold our heads up proudly once again as Americans when this blood has been washed away.

• conedreill1027 03/21/2008 10:16am

Dear Sr. Schumer,
    Please push for an extension on unemployment benefits. I lost my job in the real estate market and am having difficulity finding another position. I am sure there are many people in the same position. I have 3 children one hopefully on his way to college if I can afford to send him.
    The stimulus package is not going to help me enough.

• MITCH 04/03/2008 8:35pm

NIGHTMARE

• Anonymous 04/09/2008 5:45am

GIVE ME UNEMPLOYMENT SUPPORT OF GIVE ME DEATH! Help us! And please do the following!
    IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH! A TRAITOR! A LIAR! A THEIF! PUT HIM IN THE STREET! EVERYONE SPEAK OUT! DON’T JUST WAIT FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN. GET UP AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!

• Anonymous 06/13/2008 11:18am

Senator Schumer:
    I plead with you to continue to fight for an unemployment extension for ALL states. The states with the highest rates should get the most money, but there are long term unemployed in all states. Do what you must to get this passed quickly. Compromise if you must, but this extension must be timely.

• Anonymous 07/11/2008 3:09am

You are wreckless and maybe even just stupid. Your actions with regard to IndyMac Bank showed a lack of any ability to think ahead to what might happen. Do you fall off curbs while walking too? Look down once in a while Mr. Schumer.

• Anonymous 09/23/2008 7:00am

Senator Schumer:
    Americans are getting fed-up with politics-as-usual and are beginning to investigate the causes of their concern. Your record of failure and apparent lack of understanding in the finance and labor areas suggests either 1) you are incompetent or 2) you are “playing politics” instead of attending to the tasks you were elected to perform. I suspect the latter.

I strongly recommend that you wake up to the fact that the people who elected you are starting to notice your monumental failure to protect their interests. We don’t need lip service – we need real change in Congress and in the political process itself.

• Anonymous 09/23/2008 7:26am

Senator Schumer,
    I urge you to fight for additional unemployment benfits for New Yorkers. I need more time to locate a decent job. The current extension has kept me from sinking into further debt. Thank you for your help.

• Anonymous 09/23/2008 10:32am

As a democrat, I am deeply ashamed that you represent my state in congress. First you cause a bamk to fold and now you have failed to take any action in the financial crisis. I hope they have paid you off well because you will need the money when you get tossed out of office.

• Anonymous 09/23/2008 10:35am

Do not extend unemployment benefits. Most of the people getting those benefits are phonies and double dippers. Let them go out and get a real job like the rest of us. Phonies and cheats and liars.

• Anonymous 09/30/2008 5:35am

1. EXTEND UNEMPLOYMENT.
    2. BAN USURY! force the credit card companies and mortgage lenders to lower their interest rates, freeze them at 1% above prime so the rest of us can benefit from “easy” lending practices and get out of debt!!!
    The American people are continuously bilked by the giant banks who seduce us in and then enslave us with prohibitive interest rates – what way is that for a democracy to be run?
    3. GIVE THE $700,000,000,000 directly to the people instead of to the banking financiers who have robbed us blind – how’s that for economic stimulus? TRICKLE UP!!!
    4. PROVE THAT CONGRESS AND THE ADMIN ARE NOT ON THE TAKE – MAKE IT CLEARLY ILLEGAL FOR BROKERS AND TRADERS AND BANKERS TO develop the means to sell our security and debts for a profit!!!!

• Anonymous 09/30/2008 5:37am

HOW CAN YOU LEGISLATE AGAINST FINANCIAL PROFITS TO BANKS AND FINANCE WHEN YOU ARE FINANCED BY THEM????

• Anonymous 10/02/2008 4:55am

WE NEEDED THE UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION!!!!

• Spam Comment

Anonymous 04/07/2009 3:12pm

There was no pork in the ARRA. If you ad read it you would know that. There was pork in the 2009 budget – complain about the correct issue.

• seasilbean 03/06/2009 11:05am

I am not sure where the madness ends. Where is the change that we were promised.

The stock market has dropped over 3000 since Obama became president, but it is not just the President. Let’s thank Congress and the Senate as well. They have sold their country down the river for their own benefit. That may be my opinion, but it seems to be a growing opinion of other citizens as well.

It is a real disgrace. If theses individuals were working for a private sector company they would be fired for misuse of funds.

For a Senator to get up and say that the American Citizens don’t care about the extra spending just shows how out of touch Mr. Schumer is. Actually, all of Washington is out of touch and it is now time to clean house. Everyone needs to go! Everyone in Washington Republicans and Democrats need to go! While this might not be a true reality Americans will stand up and take their country back.

This country is for its citizens not the politicians!

Anonymous 04/07/2009 3:16pm

Your numbers come straight from Faux Noise. You are blaming an elected official for a drop that started in Mar. 2007. The new President and Congress could do nothing until after Jan 20, 2009.

If you want to blame someone, blame yourself. You have been electing our leaders.

purplelilac3084 08/06/2009 5:05am

I would like to comment on this. The Democrats had control of Congress the last couple of years of the Bush administration. They blocked bills to regulate the markets. Barney Frank and Senator Schumer(is on Finance commitee) in 2002 said there was no crisis with Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac when they found accounting irregularites. They made sure there was no additional oversight. Don’t believe me? Google it.

MannyJr 05/12/2010 5:36pm

Yea, just like Republicans did.

• Spam Comment

SonsOfAmerica 07/15/2010 6:39am

Schumer is a great man who fights for the citizens; you need to get in touch with reality… All wall street is: ten-percent of the super-rich’s money that the middle-class are allowed to play with… (The super-rich get corporate loop-holes (pay a whole lot less in taxes)and the average man has a chance at a better life! Honestly “Thats it!” even the dow companies, only a small portion is owned by the public … the super-rich control Wall Street. The Republican parties sole job is: “Steal from the middle-classed to feed the super-rich!” .. Reverse Robin Hood.. Republicans destroyed the unions took the average man’s money and now are working on our rights or anything that the super-rich want from us. Our congress is filled with used car salesmen that will do anything to get their payday. Schumer is a honest man amoung the wolfs! GO SCHUMER FIGHT: The terrorist, corporations and the evil men in congress!

• msbunny78 03/22/2009 7:12am

•Comments: To: President, Vice President, Senate, and House of Representatives.
    The passing of this H.R.1388 Bill as we see and understand it, returns the World, and America to a bygone era, not that of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s President ice, but to 1933 Germany and what the Germany people where subjected to by their government, need there be more said.

I am firmly against this Bill, and feel totally betrayed with it’s being passed. On behalf of my family and I, and our well being as a free people, we want, insist that H.R.1388 be REPEALED.

Frighteningly Yours,

ms. bunny

PS: as a member of the Jewish faith, this represents the SS and Hitler youth to me, and I am EXREMLY OFFENDED and INSULTED by this bill!!!

kurtvb 05/06/2010 4:00pm

I see nowhere in this legislation that could possibly be construed to being similar to anything that was done in Nazi Germany. If anything, it improves on a long established volunteer corps that has worked well under three administrations. It seems funny that volunteering to help Americans help Americans is equated with Nazi Germany in your eyes.

• ranarore 07/02/2009 11:57am

i would like to thank you dear sen.you sponsor “Reuniting Families Act” bill S.1085, and i urge you please to push it forward as much as you can, you are doing something great for thousands of families that are separated from each other, please help us to re unit with our families through this bill, which will help us really and speed up the process for family members of legal immigrants to secure visas. Specifically, it would reclassify spouses and children of legal immigrants as immediate relatives, raise the per-country family-sponsored and employment-based immigration limits from 7 percent to 10 percent of total admissions, recapture visas that went unused in previous years due to bureaucratic errors, allow widows and spouses to remain eligible for visas after the death of a sponsoring family member, and more. will solve our problems and pains.. i beg you to help us .. please..
    God Bless you.

• purplelilac3084 08/05/2009 6:50am

I urge everyone to watch C-Span to see how senators vote.
    It seems that Mr. Schumer votes only what is in interest to him, not representing us. I call him every time to ask him to vote no, but the public is not being represented.
    We do care about PORK. We want you to read the bill! We do not want government healthcare. We want to be free of the government. that is our right. Please read the constitution. The government works for us, and that is why we elect them.
    No more spending, no more big government, no more corruption.
    We need JOBS. Please work on that. That means no Cap & Trade. It will kill what jobs there are.

• purplelilac3084 08/24/2009 3:35am

I was watching tv yesterday and today with your interviews on tv.
    It appauls me that you are voting for public health care! It appauls me that you went on tv last week to say you will recommend 51 votes in the senate to pass your bill. We do not need another public health care. My taxes go up every year from Medicaid. We need REFORM! Pass a bill to go out of state to purchase insurance ,that would make it cheaper. Regulate the lawsuits for doctors, that will help lower costs. What you democrats are trying to push on us, is a joke! I read the HR 3200 bill, did you?
    You and every senator of NY did not have any town hall meetings. Why not?
    You are on too many boards, and need to get voted OUT!
    You were honored at Acorn’s celebration on June 17, 2009 for your honorary work.
    Hmmm, what work? All the money you keep giving them? They are a fraud, and need to be shut down. How much money did they give you?

Official website: