Former Sen. Arlen Specter

Democrat  •  Pennsylvania 5 Terms  •  Sworn In 1981
Last Term 2005 - 2010 View All

• Anonymous 02/14/2008 11:06am

Stay away from Football.
    18 and 19 year kids are being killed every day in War.
    Maybe you could focus some effort on the kids dying famileys instead of a football team.

• Anonymous 02/16/2008 4:27pm

I’m sorta disappointed at the Senator for not going after ‘W’ for not telling the truth about Iraq. I am not disappointed in him for going after ‘Good(bad)ell’ for letting the ‘Pats(ies)’ off the hook for cheating.
    I have lost confidence in Goodell for being a stand-up Commissioner. He hits, with penalties, the players like they committed murder and lets the Owners and Coaches get away with murder!!!
    The Commish. has let the Patsies cheat teams that probably could be SB champs, Rams,Eagles, Panthers. The Rams had a dynasty lost because of the Patsies and they should suffer the same fate!!!
    Goodell should put pressure on Patsies owner to force them to:
    1.relinquish their rings,
    2.force ‘Belicheat’ to resign and…
    3.announce them as forfeits! or…
    4.He should resign! The integrity of the game has been lost!

• Anonymous 02/23/2008 8:23am

good thinking dipshit

• Anonymous 03/03/2008 5:00am

Why is it that no action is being taken on Bill S.1060?

• Anonymous 03/06/2008 1:33pm

Get off the backside of your butt and do SOMETHING for this country. Rip the environmentalists a new body cavity and get our own oil in our system so we can save the 6.1 TRILLION dollars the arabs are going to reap from this latest increase in a barrel of oil. What must we do to heat our homes? Paying more than 3 bucks a gallon for heating oil is ludicrous because our government can’t stand up for us. Give more money to the world, The cost of making ethanol is costing more than it’s worth in burning in a car. All that’s accomplishing is to drive up the cost of food. Nice going, a real snooker job on congress for this fiasco. Go environmentalists and Al Gore, wreck this country as fast as you can.

• Anonymous 03/17/2008 7:49am

If ever there was a time that our economy needed a boost it is NOW. If they continue to ignore the need for an extension on Unemployment we are going to be facing a new mortgage crisis………All the unemployed who’s checks have run out and can’t find a job, now defaulting on mortgages also!!!!!! Please wake up and quit denying the seriousness of the economic situation we are in.The housing market bottomed out and we are seeing the trickle down effect of that crisis, everyone can eventually become effected. Please act now before it’s too late…………
    ML Wexford PA

• Moderated Comment

• pverty 04/12/2008 2:17pm

What have you done to make my life bearble? You are investigating the Patriots for taping defensive signals from opposing teams, stated that this may have had something to do with the inept Eagles losing the Super Bowl, all the while letting illegals cash in on my grandkids college tuition, and other goodies they are entitled ? to. Get off your butt and make some waves in stemming the illegals coming into these United States. I didn’t give four years of my life to the U.S. to see people like you turning their backs on LEGAL citizens. I’m angry because the illegals have better rights than I or my siblings and grandchildren. Because of people like you and Kennedy and the rest of the ELITE in Washington we are suffering. We are mad as hell and we won’t put up with you bureaucrats much longer. DO SOMETHING WORTH WHILE THAT BENEFITS US for a change. I sincerely believe you will compeletly ignore this post. May the returns not be with you.

• MattAgnello 07/05/2008 3:26pm

I’m actually very proud of Specter for being one of the few Republicans who actually acts as an independent person and not simply an extension of his party. Sure, the Patriots thing is not the greatest use of his time, but I think his overall record is positive. I think senators and representatives in all parties should emulate his independence.

• crosslaw1 09/30/2008 1:04am

PLEASE EXPEDITIOUSLY GET TO BILL S. 3507. BENEFITS RUNNING OUT, NO JOBS, NO RESPONSES AFTER GREAT DILIGENCE — AND SENDING OUT HUNDREDS OF RESUMES, AND I NEED TO EAT!!!!!! PLEASE EXTEND THE UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I KNOW THERE ARE SCORES OF PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO ARE IN THE SAME SITUATION AS I AM IN. PLEASE GET THIS BILL PASSED BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR RECESS!

• Anonymous 10/09/2008 9:34am

Frightening video
    Google “youtube Obama youth”

Sends a chill up my spine!!!!

• Anonymous 01/15/2009 8:29pm

WHY NOT JUST CLOSE DOWN ALL OF THE RECREATIONAL LAND IN THE US SO THAT NOBODY CAN ENJOY ANYTHING???

• okspirit 02/13/2009 11:28am

I can’t believe you sold out the American people and your party by voting with the democrats on SB 1. You should have voted with your party and demanded change to the unrealistic and do nothing bill. The fall of the republic will rest in your hands. I hope your proud of yourself.

• sushi1413 03/05/2009 2:48pm

Senator, what were you, Collins, and Snow promised in return for further selling MY country down the river with your support for Obama’s ridiculous plan to restore our Nation’s economy? As terrible and ineffective a Senator as you’ve been over the years, your incredible lack of judgement in this matter just takes my breath away. You are nothing but a self-serving empty suit taking up space in a chamber full of con artists. I fear for my grandchildren’s burden.

• myopencongress 04/28/2009 8:56am

GOOD NEWS TODAY – April 28, 2009 – www.wsj.com
    Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Arlen Specter, increasingly isolated from his party, said Tuesday he is switching parties and will run for re-election in 2010 as a Democrat.

I say good riddance to Arlen Specter – a person who has never shown any sign of being the least bit conservative. It’s about time he was honest in his portrayal of what he stands for. He’s a snake in the grass and it’s much better to have him squarely affiliated with all the other snakes.

Hmmm – Arlen Specter – the buddy of murderer Ira Einhorn, who founded Earth Day. In 1979 Arlen Specter assisted murder Ira Einhorn, (who murdered his girlfriend; she had been missing for a year and a half when police found her mummified corpse squeezed into a trunk hidden in Einhorn’s closet), to escape prosecution by enabling him to flee to Sweden. Why in the world would any honest group of people want to be associated with the likes of Arlen Specter?

• kgotjesus2001 04/28/2009 10:12am

What a ball of slime Arlen Spector is! Purely spineless!

• AnAmericanRevolution1776 04/30/2009 7:27pm

How are we Americans supposed to take control of our voting when people on threat of being fired (voted out) just switch parties. That should be a bill. H.R. 2009 Specter Law: No Senator, Representative, President will be allowed to switch parties mid-term. Persons must wait for their term to expire, stand down and re-affiliate with the new party. This way power grabs are down through the “voting process” REMEMBER THAT CONGRESS ? It’s how this country is supposed to work.

• time09 05/14/2009 6:40pm

wow, my first time here. what a bunch of nuts leaving comments….scarey…

• FreeSoutherner7 06/09/2009 9:02am

As a freethinking American who is sick of the political BS in DC, I was not surprised when this travesty of a politicain switched parties. We all knew he was a liberal, yet he kept getting elected. Americans need to KNOW your candidate, not vote blindly.

• warnlm 07/19/2009 6:13pm

SPECTER IS THE KING OF FLIP FLOPS AND MISDIRECTION.THIS PATHETIC MASTER OF MEANINGLESS HAS WASTED OUT TIME. OUST THIS TURNCOAT.

• artemis133 09/04/2009 4:55pm

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-07/13/content_8422505.htm – This is the link to a story that upsets me greatly. I’ve been struggling all my life to keep my head above water financially and for the most part have done ok, but right now I’m working a part-time job. I’ve been watching manufacturing jobs bleed out of the U.S. since I graduated high school in 1977; I’m about tired of it. The Chinese flag flying over the White House? I don’t think so. This is not a diplomatic visit, and if it were, I wouldn’t care anyway. All you senators and representatives in Washington, while we were all working our butts off and conducting our everyday lives, trusting that you were looking out for us, sold us out to the highest bidder (the lowest, actually). We might as well be flying the Chinese flag all the time and learning to speak Mandarin. China owns us! Bring our manufacturing and other jobs back!

• dlramsey69 09/18/2009 6:03pm

Mister Senator,
    I have one question for you. The H.R.45 – Blair Holt’s Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009. What are your thoughts on this bill? Will be become as the citizens of Australia, China, Malaysia, and other countries? Will we not have the right to defend our self without having to submit to the government saying if we can or cannot have a gun and then be taxed on each gun. This bill only puts more illegal guns out on the street and puts the law abiding citizens in more danger as that we would not be able to have protection of our home and property. Some people can’t afford the taxes we are forced to pay now. Then if this bill passes we will be taxed on our right to bear arms. Where will this all end?
    Don Ramsey

• DOUGLASFIELD 10/16/2009 10:42pm
    • POORER AMERICAN ACTIVE DUTY U.S. MILITARY AROUND THE WORLD WHO ARE RISKING AND LOSING THEIR LIVES FOR ALL OF US ~ HAVE FAMILIES BACK HOME WHO ARE ALSO DYING WITHOUT HEALTH*CARE *
      ~ PRESIDENT OBAMA AND U.S. SENATOR OLYMPIA SNOWE OF MAINE BOTH KNOW THAT ANY FUTURE HEALTH
      CARE PLAN FOR OUR NEW AMERICA NEEDS TO ALSO ENCOMPASS ALL FAMILY MEMBERS OF ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY MEMBERS…ANYTHING LESS WOULD BE UN*AMERICAN ~
      JUST MAYBE AMERICA NEEDS A FEW MORE REVOLVING DOORS IN OUR U.S. CONGRESS *
      OUR COUNTRY COULD REALLY USE MANY MORE SINCERE AMERICANS LIKE THIS SPECIAL U.S.SENATOR OLYMPIA SNOWE FROM MAINE WHO CONSIDERS THIS COUNTRIES 45 MILLION POOR AMERICAN MEN WOMEN AND CHILDREN WITHOUT PROPER HEALTH CARE LIKE HER OWN FAMILY AHEAD OF HER ELECTED POLITICAL FAMILY **
      45 MILLION POORER AMERICANS HAVE OBVIOUSLY BEEN TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL WITH THE PEOPLES U.S. SENATOR SNOWE OF MAINE.
      LAWYERS FOR POOR AMERICANS CAN BE FOUND WITH ANY SEARCH ENGINE.
      424-247-2013
  • Nebulator 12/09/2009 1:50pm

This guy flip flops bigger than anyone, he voted back and forth with the democrats and republicans for a few months straight just this year, how can he be trusted to vote with anyone’s party?

• LMSB 12/18/2009 11:55am

Senator Spector,
    You, in my opinion, and an overwhelming majorities opinion, are no longer worthy of your place in government! You have turned your back on your constituants. You have NO CLUE on what you are trying to jam through the senate. Should be ashammed of yourself.
    How can you expect anyone to vote on something that isnt EVEN finalized?!!!! You , my terrible man, are a BAFOON.
    I am niether R, or D. I go by whos actually doing what. You , and your Dum crat party can go pound SAND!!!!! May this be you last term of any position in government!

• Superpower 01/22/2010 5:08am

I am not surprised to discover that you talk down to women. You should resign your seat…and don’t forget to take Judas McCain with you.

• DOUGLASFIELD 02/03/2010 11:50am

SENATOR,

• MANY MORE IN OUR U.S. CONGRESS ARE NOW FINDNG OUT THE TRUTH OTHER THEN SENATOR WEBB AND THOSE OTHERS IN THE NOW… IN CONGRESS
  • LMSB 02/24/2010 1:37pm

RESIGN! But please dont come back to this state! Im thinkin Haiti. Maybe, just MAAYBE you could actually help them. Please go live there, and dont forget to let your passport expire!

• LMSB 03/04/2010 8:21am

Is there no recourse we, as a people, have to oust an elected official, due to that official, starting to show signs of dimentia?

• tdornber 03/25/2010 1:50am

The posterboy for lameduck politicians…..I give you Arlen Specter.

A man who only switched parties because a Rassmussen poll showed he was trailing in a primary run against Pat Toomey, not because he sahres Democratic beliefs.

Here’s the thing to watch for……how many liberals who, for years, hated Arlen Specter and said he was a terrible politician will now vote FOR him just because he’s a Democrat. Can you say hypocrit?

Official website: