Rep. Bobby Rush

Democrat  •  1st District, Illinois  •  11th Term  •  Sworn In 1993
Current Term 2013 - 2015 View All

• Anonymous 03/01/2009 12:18pm

I’ve read H.R.45 and I’ve read every one of the posted comments. The bill is frightening and a huge waste of your time and my tax dollars. The posted comments are overwhelmingly negative. Only one post was favorable… Did you write it yourself? You are not in my district, so I cannot vote you out of office, but the firestorm caused by the introduction of this bill may very well spread to enough of your constituents to dump you in your next bid for re-election. My only worry is that there are enough other government-types out there who also believe the American public needs to be controlled by people like you that it might somehow get out of committee. God help us all.

Anonymous 03/02/2009 2:18am

why dont they take the time and effort to seal the borders, stop the drugs, and stop increasing they amount of money they are getting (90,000) in petty cash just approved for each member of congress while everyone loses their jobs
    No lets take legal guns from law abiding citizens ENOUGH ALREADY
    I’m not giving them up

Anonymous 03/02/2009 3:44am

National licensing is just a precursor to national confiscation, afterall you cant collect when you dont know where they are. The second amendment is in place to prevent the government from disarming and controlling the people which has worked well in every instance of communism or state control. When i have no guns, I am powerless to defend myself, so I will probably then resort to afghani behavior and make my own destructive devices in my kitchen to blast the criminal that may come through my door assuming i am unarmed. You liberals dont get it. When guns are outlawed, only the outlaws your laws cannot touch will have the guns to KILL YOU WITH. Every American armed and ready will keep crime under control. Dead criminals are a good thing.

Anonymous 03/02/2009 3:47am

Dont you all wish that Bobby Rush’s mother had had a legal abortion. Or maybe she did…..

• Anonymous 03/02/2009 5:39am

I just wish is was Rep. Rush that stepped into the line of fire and took the bullet instead of this kid. Then we could have gotten rid of the real problem in Illinios. He is such a loser, just like those in the state that voted for him and his pathetic policy recommendations. Get off your butts and take responsibility of your own kids. Instead of taking away more of my rights. When one of your Chicago 16 year olds come to my house to steal or hurt my family, I will blow their young a** away with my unregistered 45. Never will I register a gun so tyrants like Rep. Rush can oneday take away my right to defend my family from evil people. If we would execute more of the thugs of society, we could eventually cleanse the gene pool of these idiots.

• Dnovinger45 03/02/2009 10:05am

I guess a criminal WOULD sponser a bill to protect criminals!

• Anonymous 03/02/2009 12:13pm

Join the secession effort in your state. If you can find one, start one.

By Obama signing the Stimulus bill, he is in violation of the 10th ammendment. Already, 17 states have signed bills to secede.

JOIN THE SECESSION MOVEMENT, IT’S TIME TO FIRE DC ALTOGETHER.

• jstonehocker 03/02/2009 4:37pm

Samuel Adams:“The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” You WILL NOT take our freedoms from us. DO NOT move forward on HR 45.

• Anonymous 03/03/2009 8:46am

This law will do nothing to prevent criminals from possessing guns. There is already a universal background check and an system to register guns when purchased. The Atty Gen should not have the right under Section 102(7) E. to add any other requirements at his descretion, along with the right to set the fee for the license at any amount. This sounds like Hitler Germany or Venszuela to give unlimited power to the Attourney General. This bill is an attempt to take guns away from law abiding citizens, and to remove our right to protect themselves, while criminals will have free run of our neighborhoods without fear. Criminals will never register guns or purchase a license. So what if there is a penalty. Why would that deter them? We we should be punishing the criminals to the full extent of the law, even to the death penalty for crimes deserving of it. Punishemnt is the real determent, not making law abiding citizens criminals. You are punishing law abiding citizens, not the criminal.

• Anonymous 03/04/2009 4:25pm

A WELL BEHAVED SOCIETY IS AN ARMED SOCIETY

• EdMyers 03/06/2009 4:58am

Mr. Rush,

If I attacked your home and family and you had a chance to get your hands on a gun,I sure wouldn’t want to stand in front of you. You are an idiot.

• tunneljet 03/08/2009 4:56am

Maybe he forgot what the Most intelligent man to ever run this country said!!!

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

• Jizzle 03/09/2009 11:53am

Mr. Rush (no not doctor rush you where awarded an honorary doctorate, go to school you bum). I feel that this bill is a slap in the face to the red-blooded American. Is your aim to make it illegal for everyone but you and other criminals to own weapons? I’m sure that even though you are a convicted felon you still own a hangun of some type. And that itself is another felony. You are a hypocrite. Spread your Black Panther/reverse racist/communist propoganda crap elsewhere sir. It’s not wanted in this country. Try Cuba.

• walkerusa 03/09/2009 7:07pm

so which of you “Hairy balled boys” (to quote E Gordon Liddy) from IL is initiating the impeach Rush project ? I am sure Dr Rush believes in his heart he is doing the right thing. You can keep yapping or take action to ensure he understands how important this Constitutional right is.

• rodeoron1 03/16/2009 4:21pm

bob you need to pull your head out your ass. The whole Illinois government and your socialistic ideas of control.Its crap! More than 80% of Americans are law abiding gun owners.Leave us the fuck alone.Just because your city’s are riddled with crack dealing gangster scum doesn’t give you the right to screw with the rest of the country.Gun control does not work, never has! Criminals don’t get guns legally.Gun control only hurts the citizen.If your a criminal who’s house are you going to invade the gun owner who will shoot your ass or the pussy who’s against guns

• umphlette 03/17/2009 3:38pm

Mr Rush, in homage and respect to some of the earliest founders of democracy, Molan Labe. That means, ‘Come and take them’, and was a response to Persia telling the Spartans to surrender themselves and their weapons. Of course, those men fought to the death to maintain their freedoms, I feel you would sooner roll over and die a coward’s death than fight for your own or your citizens freedoms. Focus on real solutions to criminal acts instead of making it harder for law abiding citizens to defend themselves how they feel necessary. How about you support your local law enforcement so that they could hire more officers or get better training or equipment instead? How about focusing on violent repeat offenders?

• aleece 03/23/2009 6:20pm

I do not support HR 25- it is one more try to take away our weapons that are used for self defense and hunting to put food on the table while you have hired guns that will protect you and keep your belly full. We have a constitution in place that should shut folks like you down, sir. You are in your current position to serve the People, not take away our rights. Shame on you.

• BR749 04/07/2009 5:27pm

WAKE UP!! THINK! DON’T be dumbed down! This is illegal,illogical, irrational and against the inalienable rights of all people for LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUIT HAPPINESS. This is FUNDAMENTAL and cherished freedom. FREEDOOMMM!!!!! VOTE CONSTITUTIONALIST PARTY, ONLY!!!

• BR749 04/07/2009 5:35pm

There is no 2 party system only good cop bad cop watch the puppet. Vote Constitutionalist party, the only alternative to what’s happening now in United States government.

• thorvaldr 04/23/2009 10:03am

So you’re using the tragic death of an innocent child, by a person who could not legally possess a gun in a place where no one could legally possess a gun as an excuse to take away the rights of law abiding Americans? Please leave office now and take your radical civilian disarmament agenda with you.

• jleather1 04/28/2009 9:00am

Mr. Rush there is a constitutioal method of amending the Constitution of the United States of America and that metod does not include a mere House Resolution. The method is an amendment to the Constitution and ratification by the States. By the way, are you from Chicago? And have you even learned how to read? I do hope that someone on your staff will read this to you, if YOU CAN GET YOUR HAND OUT OF THE COOKIE JAR LONG ENOUGH TO BE ATTENTIVE! I would also advise you to start looking for other employment as the good people of Illinois will not tolerate tyranny!

• kent 04/28/2009 1:42pm

This is just a “termite” approach to complete confiscation of guns and disarming of our society to the point we have no defense – chip away a little here and there until the goal is accomplished before anyone realizes it. (Did Obama promise transparency? It seems his motives are more and more transparent while his methods are hidden in back rooms.)

• kent 04/28/2009 1:42pm

If you take my gun, only the criminal will have one to use against me. HR 45 only makes me/us less safe. After working with convicts for 26 years I know this bill, if passed, would make them happy and in less danger from their victims.I WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO SEE THAT YOU DO NOT GET RE-ELECTED!!!! CHECK OUT THE COUNTRIES THAT HAVE GUN CONTROLL.SOME COME TO MIND…MEXICO (CRIME UP) ,AUSTRALIA (CRIME UP GERMANY UNDER HITLER (CRIME WAY WAY UP) TO NAME A FEW. GUN CONTROLL JUST DON’T WORK, NEVER HAS,NEVER WILL. WAKE UP!!! i HOPE YOU NEVER HAVE TO HUNT FOR YOUR FOOD,YOU WILL BE THE SKINNY BLACK MAN WITH THE STICK TRYING TO KILL A RAT FOR DINNER.

• buckshotlee 05/01/2009 4:34am

I have only one question… Why is Bobby Rush in office? Is there no-one to run against him?

• roadlesstraveled 05/04/2009 2:07pm

Bobby, destroying our right one bill at a time! So darn proud of you Bobby, I knew I should have voted for McCain.

wiki-Bobby Lee Rush (born November 23, 1946) is an American politician from Illinois. A Democrat, he has served in the United States House of Representatives as the member from Illinois’ 1st congressional district since 1993. Rush’s district is located principally on the South Side of Chicago. It is a minority-majority district and has a higher percentage of African Americans (65%) than any other congressional district in the nation. Rush has the distinction of being the only person to date to defeat President Barack Obama in an election for public office.

Rush is a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, as well as a former member and founder of the Illinois chapter of the Black Panther Party. Rush is also a member of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc.

• thorvaldr 06/08/2009 6:29am

Someone with no respect for the constitution or the rights of free people has no right to be our representative. Impeach the man now.

• phans4u 06/14/2009 7:29pm

Send this sonuvabitch packing, and DON’T stop letting him know that you think he’s an Assclown, with his Anti-Second Amendment; Pro-Illegal; Race Bait Scamming. Guys like this need ridden out of DC on a rail, UNLESS they want to stay around, and wait for the Treason trials to start—because, THEN, there are going to be trees and ropes, and angry citizens…and guys like Bobby Rush are going to be unseated from their cushy FedGov entrenchments, the HARD way.

• tipseyeyes 07/18/2009 12:38pm

i will make this short, if you care anything about your constituents you will not vote for this health care package. Medicare people dont get much as it is and the government wants to take more away. People cannt live on what they get. If medicare is in such bad shape wouldn’t it make sense to straighten that our before trying to reinvent the wheel with health care? Rather than completely redoing the health care it would make more sense to develope a plan to cover ONLY those that DO NOT have coverage rather that destroying the entire system. So please note no!!

• intruder09 07/25/2009 6:53am

If you try to take my guns, I will become the criminal of all time!

• 96impala 08/11/2009 7:20pm

H.R.45 – Blair Holt’s Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 is a travesty and a slap in the face of the constitution. You do not deserve to be a congressman.

Official website: