Pres. Barack Obama

Democrat  •  3rd Term  •  Sworn In 2005
Current Term 2013 - 2017 View All

• Sparhawk2k 01/17/2008 7:34pm

Some of the things mentioned in the technology and innovation document would be amazing for a site like this. I would love to see what could be done when the government is actively working to get more information out there. I think it would actually get more people excited about the idea of participating too.

scallen 11/01/2008 11:22pm

I am more concerned with his Tax Policy S.2433, If it gets passed all our money is going to Africa, via the United Nations. It also gives the United Nations the right to tax American Citizens. Anyone care to give their money to Africa and leave us broke, go ahead and vote for Obama, and doom us all. When A U.S. Senator introduces a Bill into the Senate allowing non=Americans to tax us I have serious issues.

Obamas Golbal Poverty Tax 2007

• Anonymous 02/08/2008 2:38am

interesting voting history :-)
    Does this guy have any opinions at all?

Anonymous 02/24/2008 11:04am

A comprehensive listing of Clinton’s and Obama’s record. Chew on that for a little while.

Yes we can!

adelie 03/13/2008 12:07pm

That article was such a fantastic record. It is kinda funny that this was (likely) inspired by all of Hillary’s talk about “look at my record”. Guess she never thought someone would ACTUALLY do the research. Oops!

adelie 03/13/2008 12:06pm

This was the site that wit the kind of information that led me to give Obama my full support.

He is very opinionated. :)

Anonymous 11/08/2008 4:02pm

Idiot

amandacaudill 06/29/2009 2:57pm

HAHAHAHA Hell no he doesnt…i love that…

msclaudia 07/19/2009 9:57pm

His opinion is that he is ‘present’….and then only physically.

• Anonymous 02/08/2008 7:20am

I would vote for him but because blacks are still being treat so unfair and I don’t believe the king dream has come to pass. I very afraid for him as a black man. I believe he would win but I also believe after a term in the white house some crazy nut would kill him. But as a woman my vote goes to Hillary because I would like to see how a woman run a county and I would like to experience it. Then after that I vote for him after Hillary.

amandacaudill 06/29/2009 2:58pm

awesome! good response! glad you vote on traits instead of issues at hand! youre intellegent! —id vote for a dolphin if it was wearing the right color lipstick…

maurene 07/19/2009 2:42pm

I’d stay anonymous too with that type of thinking.

• weasel 02/08/2008 4:13pm

Well… at least you are are being honest unlike those who try to pretend they prefer this clown for political reasons.

mpelliott 04/03/2009 3:43pm

You still think he’s being honest?

• BenT 02/08/2008 7:11pm

If you don’t think he knows the risk of running for president I think you are misunderstood. If you think he is better than Hillary for president then vote for him no matter if you think he will be assasinated. If he is willing to run and take all risk associated with that then dont hold that against him. But also, don’t vote for him just because of his race. Either way, he doesn’t have my vote though.

• bkoppe 02/08/2008 8:25pm

There are a couple main reasons I support Obama for president (along with some links which enumerate the points better than I could):

1) technology issues http://blag.xkcd.com/2008/01/28/obama/
    2) ability to inspire/lead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDzvmY1XPo

The presidency isn’t (or at least shouldn’t be) about making all the decisions. The president is a leader. Someone who surrounds him or herself with intelligent and trustworthy people, and who inspires those people (and others in Congress) to come up with ideas and work together to achieve them. I’d like to return to the president being the leader of government rather than the boss of government. Plus, for as similar as Obama and Clinton are on most issues, their differences are extremely important to me. Obama has consulted Lawrence Lessig on a number of technological issues, which in and of itself is an indication that he’s on the right path. Aside for that, he’s expressed an interest in opening up government to make it far more transparent, which is also a critical issue IMO.

Anonymous 03/03/2008 8:12am

The technology are issues he borrowed from Hillery. George Bush as well as many evil leaders had the talent to inspire and lead. My vote goes to McCain.the first time I’ve ever voted republican.

kjnelan 06/17/2008 11:05am

While I may not agree with your issues, thank you so much for giving us your reasons and needs rather than rhetoric and junk.

• bkoppe 02/08/2008 8:27pm

The reason for so many “abstain” votes is because he’s out on the campaign trail. The records for Clinton and McCain aren’t much different.

• bkoppe 02/08/2008 8:32pm

Not exactly on the topic of Obama, but I think there’s an interesting question to be asked here:

Why isn’t there an accepted way for senators and representatives to vote while away from Washington? There are clearly important benefits to being in Washington for debating as well as voting, but there must be some way to find a balance here.

PinnCrawford 03/02/2008 5:29pm

Good point, people can absentee vote in elections and the internet will eventually become part of democracy, why not start with the Senators on campaign. They are not doing their job while they are stumping and debating on TV.

• weasel 02/09/2008 6:35am

if his campaign interferes with his job, shouldn’t he … I don’t know … perhaps, quit it, and let someone else do it. Not only he is collecting salary (that you and I pay ultimately), but also think about how well his constituents are represented.
    Do we really want a president that cares that little about his job?
    And the presidency is definitely absolutely and only about making decisions.

adelie 03/13/2008 12:14pm

While it appears there are a lot of abstains on his record, you must look at it relatively to others in congress. It is usually no secret which direction votes will go causing a lot of people to not show up when enough people will be there to get the right outcome. While it looks bad with respect to encouraging Americans to vote, he puts his time where he feels it will make the most important difference.

And it appears to be the record of nearly all other members of congress, so far as the ones I have checked.

Anonymous 10/11/2008 8:16am

I agree – everyone in Congress should have to cast a vote on every bill so his constituents know how they’re represented.
    Also, those campaigning should have to vote in absentia on all bills if they’re still drawing their salary – double dipping!

• weasel 02/09/2008 6:39am

yes, other people come up with the ideas. but the decisions (which is about choosing the right one, and ways to implement it) is exactly what we need the president for.
    I am sorry, Obama is just not it. Not even close.

adelie 03/13/2008 12:27pm

The president does have to make decisions, but they are more in the realm of leadership and being a role-model. Congress has our policy-makers, and the president has the power to veto policies when congress fails to have fully considered the issue.

The executive branch is in charge of enforcing policy, not making it. As can be seen Bush didn’t make bad policy, he allowed bad policy, and a good speaker will encourage and inspire congress members to look at sites like this one, and inspire Americans to use sites like this to express his opinions enabling him to approve and allow good policy.

With respects to weasel’s comments, I might agree he is not the kind of person we want as a senator when his qualities are much more suited for president (or technically Speaker of the House / Vice President, just on the basis of that particular argument).

• Anonymous 02/09/2008 6:45am

“Why isn’t there an accepted way for senators and representatives to vote while away from Washington?”
    Great idea! While we are at it, let’s come up with some ways for me to look like I am working while I am in Aruba too!

• bkoppe 02/09/2008 10:29am

weasel: It’s valid to say he should quite his job in order to campaign, but if you’re going to lay that criticism on Obama, be sure to lay it equally on Senators Clinton and McCain (and all the other past and present senators and representatives that end up in the same situation when campaigning for president). It’s a valid criticism, but Obama is in no way special in that regard. (Obama abstained in 25 of the last 30 votes, Clinton in 26 of the last 30, and McCain in 24 of the last 30)

I also agree it’s important to be choosing the right decision, which is yet another reason I prefer Obama. A great deal of economists, for example, are against the idea of health insurance mandates. Obama’s health insurance plan is more solidly rooted in behavioral economics, which I think is a huge plus.

The presidency has recently been only about making decisions, this is true. But originally the presidency was more about leadership and statesmanship. For a very long time, presidential vetoes were extremely rare, because if Congress – the elected representatives of the people – wanted to make a law, then the president signed it, unless he thought it was absolutely detrimental to the country as a whole. In recent decades, it has been that the president vetoes anything he disagrees with, which may or may not be a good thing. What is clear, though, is that the president has a very important role to play now in guiding Congress to decisions, which means working with people and inspiring them to work with each other. I have no doubt that even if Clinton’s ideas are better (which I don’t think they are, but even if they are), Obama would make far more progress towards implementing what are ultimately very similar ideas than Clinton would make in getting hers implemented.

We’ll likely just have to agree to disagree, because it’s unlikely anyone is going to change their mind over the internet. And I’m OK with that: I support Obama, but I’m certainly willing to support Clinton if she gets the nomination. I’d like to encourage you to check out the two links I posted though.

Anonymous: Heh, yes, there are clearly some issues with that. I didn’t say I knew how they should do it, just that it’s something which should be discussed. The trick is finding the right balance so that there is still incentive to actually be in DC for the vote. Perhaps something like counting votes from somewhere else as only half a vote, I don’t know. It’s just that the way the system is set up right now, it’s absolutely prohibitive to anyone who would be a senator and presidential candidate simultaneously. As one of Obama’s constituents, I understand this and don’t hold it against him, but I do wish that he, and Senators Clinton and McCain were more able to do their jobs while also doing the rigorous work of campaigning. I certainly would have liked Obama and Clinton to have voted on the recent FISA amendments, but neither were able to.

• weasel 02/09/2008 10:40am

“It’s a valid criticism, but Obama is in no way special in that regard.”
    I never said he was special. In that regard or in any other.
    That’s exactly why I am not voting for him. And I don’t know how anyone else could unless they are a racist. The only “special” thing about this candidate is his color.

“But originally the presidency was more about leadership and statesmanship.”
    You don’t know the first thing about leadership if you don’t understand it is all about decision making.

“I support Obama, but I’m certainly willing to support Clinton if she gets the nomination. "
    Frnakly, I don’t see much differnce between the two. Except for the race and gender, of course, but I, although it is so unpopular nowadays, I am not going to make my decisions based on those factors. I think they are irrelevant, unless you are a racist.

“The trick is finding the right balance so that there is still incentive to actually be in DC for the vote.”
    The incentive is you and me. If you are going to continue cutting slack to them and trying to justify their skipping work for personal gain, they’ll continue doing that. After all, why the hell not?

“it’s absolutely prohibitive to anyone who would be a senator and presidential candidate simultaneously.”
    So what? If I wanted to move to Hollywood and become an actor, I should not expect they’d let me to keep my present job for a while as well, should I?

• weasel 02/09/2008 10:49am

Oh, and about his health care plan…. Just like all other socialist ideas, it doesn’t affect me or my family in any way, except, that we are going to have to pay for it.
    If you got a job, you are in the same boat too.
    If you don’t I’d suggest that you go find one – that’ll change your perspective quite a bit.

37.0%