Sen. Amy Klobuchar

Democrat  •  Minnesota  •  2nd Term  •  Sworn In 2007
Current Term 2013 - 2019 View All

• Anonymous 01/25/2008 1:33pm

I am very disappointed that there is no mention of seniors receiving a tax rebate. We have paid our fair share of taxes over our life time and should be included.
    Respectfully,
    Lyle V. Gatzmeyer

• Moderated Comment

• Anonymous 02/28/2008 7:19am

I am writing regarding the bill on unemployment extension. I have been unemployed since July, after working over 30 years. I have sent over 100 resumes and nothing. I am currently 50 years old and have a tendency to see this as a problem. My unemployment ran out two weeks ago, and need your help in passing this bill to extend benefits. PLEASE. I am doing everything I can to earn money but to no avail.

PS do you have any work avail at your office.

• NordicAngst 03/02/2008 5:10pm

In regards to Lyle’s comment, I’m fairly certain that the senate version of the Stimulus plan did include rebates to seniors whose primary income comes from Social Security. It was the house bill that did not.

• Anonymous 04/14/2008 8:11am

PLEASE HELP. We need an extension of unemplyment benefits.

I am a single 56 yr old laid off last August. Have worked since I was 15. Have applied for nearly 100 jobs for which I was qualified or over-qualified. Have had two interviews. Unemployment runs out this week. I don’t want to lose my house and shouldn’t have to spend all of the retirement funds I have saved just to keep it. I have done everything responsibly and feel like the government is only helping those who haven’t been responsible

• Anonymous 01/24/2009 8:06am

Senator Klobuchar,

I am a tax paying Minnesotan. I think it’s despicable that you would continue to support these bailouts, stimulus whatever the latest names are for this madness. PLEASE FOR OUR CHILDREN STOP! Where do you get the idea that bailing out the companies that have been irresponsible, made bad decisions at best and at worst are down right crooks. Please stop the bailouts. If we fail to understand history we are doomed to repeat it. It’s not your money to waste it’s ours. Vote no to stimulus.

Thoris 03/27/2012 10:17am

I too am VERY concerned with bailouts for companies that have grown TOO BIG TO FAIL. I wish we could just let them collapse, but at this point it would mean the collapse of our economy as well. A better plan would be to encourage government to begin re-regulating these companies (ESPECIALLY BANKS!) so that they can no longer put us in these precarious positions. Unfortunately, bought-and-paid-for politicians will not let this happen. Use the tools in this site to see who is getting big money from big corporate interests and refuse to support them. From what I can see, Amy does NOT fall into this category, but keep watching!!

• busyb213 02/12/2009 2:46pm

She was great!

Sen. Amy Klobuchar star turn at Washington Press Club Foundation Dinner.
    By Lynn Sweeton February 5, 2009 12:07 PM | Permalink | Comments (4)
    WASHINGTON—Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), hit a home run Wednesday night at the Washington Press Club Foundation dinner.

“So I’m up here telling the jokes and Al Franken is going to be the senator. What’s wrong with that picture,” Klobuchar quipped.

Transcript below….

SENATOR KLOBUCHAR 2009 CORRESPONDENTS TRANSCRIPT

Thank you Candy that was great, and thank you so much for Julie and Juliet for inviting me, to Deidre for her good work, for Nan for her courage, to Speaker Pelosi, thank you and Congressman McCarthy, I think we’re going to have a lot of fun.

I bring you greetings from the state of Minnesota where in the words of our unofficial poet laureate Garrison Keillor, all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the recounts are above average.

So I’m up here telling the jokes and Al Franken is going to be the senator. What’s wrong with that picture?

I’m honored to have the privilege to speak to you tonight. And since I’m new at this type of speech, I really, really, really have a very simple goal— and that is to keep it as short as Bill Richardson’s tenure as Commerce Secretary.

I want to thank everyone for being so welcoming. Especially the anonymous pundit who predicted in politico that my comedy skills were so limited that I was certain to quote bomb quote tonight.
    I just want everyone to know that I’m not upset that comment and who said it, and I completely forgive Congressman McCarthy.

As you know, I’m from Minnesota where my first elected office was as a prosecutor for 8 years. Which made things much easier when I got to Washington, there were so many familiar faces.

My first day in the limelight in Washington actually came as a young prosecutor when I was invited to introduce President Clinton at a an event in the White House for the Hate Crimes legislation. It was this big event in the East Room. I was so nervous standing outside of the room where I was supposed to give my little speech, I had Bill Clinton on one side and Janet Reno on the other. “Hail to the Chief” started to play. And I start walking. And all of the sudden a big hand is on my shoulder and this voice says, “I know you’re going to do great out there but when they play that song, I usually go first.” True Story. That was my beginning.

But by 2005 I wanted a new challenge so I decided to run for the US Senate. Now you have to imagine what this was like. I didn’t know anyone in Washington, no one would return my calls, and I finally decided that I was just going to call everyone that I’ve ever met in my life and that’s when I set an all-time US Senate record, and this is true, I raised $17,000 from ex-boyfriends. Speaker Pelosi, I may have the all-time record in the Senate, but I know in the House, that record is held by Barney Frank.
    As my husband, who is back there somewhere, where are you? points out, for me, ex boyfriends aren’t an expanding base.

But with hard work, somehow I got here and I’m a Senator.

I think in the end I won because deep down I know exactly who I am— I am a woman whose hair will never have the bounce and fluff of Rod Blagojevich’s.

I’m also someone who is a bit na├»ve to the ways of Washington, I was a real Alice in Wonderland when I got here.

When I got here I made all kind of committee requests: finance or appropriations, commerce, foreign relations.
    So somehow I got placed on the subcommittee on Oceans. I’m from Minnesota and I was placed on the subcommittee on Oceans!

It’s like being from Illinois, Rahm Emmanuel and being placed on Ethics.

I finally figured it out why Harry put me on Oceans for one reason: I can see Lake Superior from my porch.

Now, Washington DC is such a crazy place it is very different from Minnesota.

After seeing all those black limos at the inauguration I realize I went from the gopher state to the chauffeur state.

For those who have never been to Minnesota it is a state with pristine crystal clear lakes and boundless forests. Or as Dick Cheney calls it, the state that got away.

Minnesota is known as The Land of 10,000 Leaks. Now I gave the joke away! And Washington is The Land of 10,000 Leaks.

But I love our lakes. And it was great to take Barack Obama to campaign in Minnesota. Because with 10,000 lakes he had plenty of water to walk on.

Now I admit, this is a big night for me. So I called Sarah Palin and asked her what to wear. As many of you remember, she burst on the national stage in my home state of Minnesota. And that’s when I learned what RNC stands for: Really New Clothes.
    (line about my $160 after Christmas special)

Now it is double pressure for me because tomorrow morning I’m speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast. My plan is to offer thanks to the Almighty supreme being who at any moment can unleash his wrath on those who don’t follow his commandments. I know half of you think I am talking about Rahm Emanuel.

The truth is this event was always trickier for me than the National Prayer Breakfast because as you know, God forgives and reporters don’t.

This room has the greatest, the most thorough, the most hard working, most brilliant reporters in the world, all of whom were scooped on the John Edwards story by the National Enquirer.

I love all reporters, my Dad was a reporter— I especially love print reporters because as a member of the Environmental Committee, I’m all about protecting endangered species.

Think about it—the New York Times may soon be owned by a Mexican billionaire—which would mean history will be made. It would be the first time Lou Dobbs tries to deport an entire newspaper.

I know there are some people from MSNBC here…

Please tell Chris Matthews that I’m a fan although I would have told him you don’t go directly to the US Senate from Hardball. He should have talked to Al Franken. You do a bit on Saturday Night Live first.

In addition to Candy, I know Wolf Blitzer is here—although he did could have appeared by hologram. That would have been just as good.

Dana Bash is here as well. She’s married to John King, they’re very romantic. Two reporters, this was really sweet, at their wedding the “something old and something new” meant Larry King and his wife.
    Now, the tradition at the Congressional Correspondents dinner as you all know is to have one Democrat and one Republican speaker. As Speaker Pelosi pointed out, these are tough economic times, you could have saved money by asking Joe Lieberman. He liked that joke I tried it out on him.

Instead you asked me and a rising star in the Republican Party, Kevin McCarthy, who like every other rising star in the Republican Party must have once been on the short list for GOP vice president. How do you go home and tell your wife that it didn’t work out. “Honey I was on the short list for vice president but they didn’t think I was as qualified as Sarah Palin.”

Actually Kevin is here instead of Eric Cantor. For those who don’t know Eric, he’s a member of Congress, a real estate developer and a lawyer. That’s what we call the axis of evil

But I’m actually glad Kevin is here instead. Although I did not you at the President’s Superbowl party. He was probably invited—but as Speaker Pelosi knows, it’s just these days that House Republicans say no to everything.

So both of us have the task to comment about current events and the past year. So much has happened politically since the last Congressional Correspondent’s Dinner. I don’t think anyone in their wildest dreams would have thought Barack Obama would be president. Especially Hillary Clinton.

Since this is your night off, I’ll do the reporting and fill you in on what a few of our friends have been up to.

Hillary Clinton is of course Secretary of State and she is currently brokering a ceasefire between Caroline Kennedy and David Patterson.

Chris Dodd has been working on helping homeowners get rid of their unwanted homes that they can’t afford. Like that house he bought in Iowa. I tried that joke on him too.

And John Edwards is still talking about two Americas, which apparently is the greatest pickup line in history.

Now we have a new president. And he’s our first wired president. He is never without his Blackberry. Although like many Americans I look forward to a colorblind society when we can just call it a Berry.

Ok, oh come on you guys, I’m only like five minutes into this speech, it is still shorter than a Joe Biden sound bite.

Now this new president had a great inauguration. Of course there were a few little problems like the people who waited in line and never got in to actually see the inauguration. There were tens of thousands of people stuck in what’s being called the purple tunnel of doom. They came to DC, they spent thousands of dollars to get here, and they got left out in the freezing cold. So much for Democrats being against torture.

One solution is to send them some kind of commemorative plate. Another solution is to just send them $50 billion from the TARP funds. Personally I have a better idea.

I’ve put together a photo album we can send everyone, with pictures I took at the inaugural. Here we go:

Now first you see this crowd shot with 2 Million people, the sea of faces, and you see in back that yellow circle, that would be Reverend Jeremiah Wright’s seat. Right back there. That little blue circle back there, that’s my original seat. And so this in our next slide is where I ended sitting after I made a call to Rod Blagojevich. That is also the entire US Senate delegation from Minnesota.

Now this is the President sort of tinkering with his inauguration speech. He’s thinking, hmm, what would Joe Biden do in this situation? Oh, that’s right, he’d add 50 pages.

Ok, now we have next, Aretha’s hat. Ok, now if you look carefully at this photo, and this is a new development, I know there has been a lot written about the hat, but the hat is actually larger than George Bush. And it was a tough choice for the organizers: Should they let in 50,000 more people or let in the hat? They went with the hat.

Ok, now here’s a great one. This is Rahm greeting Congress. Some were offended by this, but I thought it was great. If it was the old days, he would have used just one finger. That’s the new Rahm.

Now here we have Dick Cheney in a wheelchair. Even on this cold day, he still radiates warmth and sunny cheerfulness. Doesn’t he look like he’s about to say “Prepare to die Mr. Bond.”

Now we have John Roberts – we’ll remember the moment forever, administering the oath. When he was reading the words, as many of you remember, he messed up the word faithfully. Somewhere, Eliot Spitzer and Vito Fossella are saying “Join the Club.”

Ok, now here’s my last photo. Hhere is Rick Warren, his hair looks messy in this photograph. And This is what happens if you have offended every gay stylist in the United States of America.

Ok, well,
    Tonight has been a lot of fun and I want to thank you again for inviting me. As I mentioned, my dad spent his life as a journalist. He wrote for fifty years and is still writing….he was first with the AP, then he was a sportswriter and then a columnist for a very long time at the Minneapolis Star Tribune. When he was with the AP, he wrote the story that went around the world…it called the race for Kennedy in 1960 when it was so close but the votes from the Iron Range of Minnesota where my dad grew up were still out and he knew that they would go Democratic and then Minnesota would go Democratic and then Kennedy would win. The story called it for Kennedy.

My dad came up at a time when newspapers were flourishing. He came from an iron ore mining town where my grandpa worked 1500 feet underground. Through journalism, my dad was able to see the world. He interviewed everyone from Ronald Reagan to Ginger Rogers to Mike Ditka. He covered the ’68 convention, he covered Watergate and he was nominated for a Pulitzer prize. But throughout it all, he knew that his job was to be a witness to history, to tell the stories that defined his time.

Now I know that things, despite the jokes are much tougher for newspapers and journalists, but your responsibility today is just as great. You are the witnesses to these turbulent times, the reporters who will document forever whether we fail or succeed, whether we are courageous or timid. This may be the most momentous time in our lives and you will bear witness to it. Now we each have our jobs to do.

It has been a privilege to be here with you tonight, thank you very much!

• Sarahmae 04/04/2009 1:52pm

To all of those seeking “extended unemployment benefits”:

Go flip burgers. I don’t care if you send in 300 resumes that go unanswered – get your dang hands dirty for once. I don’t find it an insult to take a job making tacos while I am looking for steady work – I have done it before and I will do it again.

I was raised knowing that I need to work hard for the things that I need (not want) – that sometimes to make ends meet, I will have to pick up dog doo in the back yard…

I am so fed up with all of the “I am better than that” attitudes around here…are you above taking care of yourself and your family?

If you think that you are above working at McDonalds – shame on you. Get off your high horse and apply at the SA on the corner.

Life is hard. Deal with it.

• foundingson 11/21/2009 5:37pm

instead of all this government bailouts and never ending printing press of cash.If we as a people understand the government is harming economy (jobs) on purpose! What needs to be done is what has always worked,free enterprise.Start with NEA,DOT,Municipal street dept.All these so called jobs costing more than they are worth! Private sector can do better at service and at only a fraction of the cost.Another way to say it we can have more people working for same amount of money spent and have better roads, school system.Health care they are scheming on is more of the same,another way to steal freedom =ca$h =control.

• deanklein 01/09/2010 1:05pm

So what we are saying is: I want Governmet to provide me with free money, free health care, free education and the ability to get out of contracts that I don’t like…..all to be paid for by my neighbors, children and grandchildren???

Sign me up for life!!
    Thanks Democratic Party!!

P.S.
    Is there any way we can disband the military and repeal the First Amendment for Republicans?

• DOUGLASFIELD 02/03/2010 12:52pm

SENATOR,

• MANY MORE IN OUR U.S. CONGRESS ARE NOW FINDNG OUT THE TRUTH OTHER THEN SENATOR WEBB AND THOSE OTHERS IN THE NOW… IN CONGRESS
  • Anonymous 02/23/2010 2:23pm

• DOUGLASFIELD 04/26/2010 11:45am

DEAR SENATOR,

• CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN OTHER THEN SATAN HOW TEXAS GOVERNOR RICK PERRY ON ONE HAND PARDONS FORMER TEXAS INMATE TIMOTHY COLE WHO WAS WRONGFULLY EXECUTED WITHOUT BEING ALLOWED TO EXONERATE HIMSELF USING DNA TESTING IN TEXAS , AND WITHIN THE SAME MONTH THIS SAME GOVERNOR RICK PERRY OF TEXAS DENIES YET ANOTHER DNA TEST PRIOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE WRONGFUL EXECUTION OF HANK SKINNER ???
  • pelmof 06/29/2010 5:14am

Dear Senator Klobuchar,

sharibear 07/07/2010 5:42pm
    yummysinsemilla 07/02/2011 11:01pm

Apply at a McDonalds. Or are you too proud to have to take a low paying job? If you can’t suffice, work at two restaurants. Stop mooching off the public.

• FCTTFAF 07/01/2011 2:44pm

I am just writing to show that I do not wish Bill S.978 to be passed. This Bill can put an underage child in prison for playing a video game and placing the work onto a video sharing website. The same goes with lip singing to a song. This isn’t the right way to go

• shadowAaron34 07/02/2011 10:22pm

Bill S.98 is in direct violation to the freedom of speech, as it is denying even the most simple of things as to singing kareoke with your child and posting it on youtube to the posting of video game Lets plays.The technological industery on the internet, especailly videogames and whatnot, are fueled by all things public and may go daown in sales over the next few weeks after the bill is made law. If you think econemy is bad now, wait until this law is passed.

-Aaron

• shadowAaron34 07/02/2011 10:23pm

Bill S.978 is in direct violation to the freedom of speech, as it is denying even the most simple of things as to singing kareoke with your child and posting it on youtube to the posting of video game Lets plays.The technological industery on the internet, especailly videogames and whatnot, are fueled by all things public and may go daown in sales over the next few weeks after the bill is made law. If you think econemy is bad now, wait until this law is passed.

-Aaron

• yummysinsemilla 07/02/2011 10:59pm

Bill S.978 is a complete joke, backed by the entertainment industries mega corporations. How much did they pay you to throw this bill into the mix? That’s why if you want to make something illegal, how about LOBBYISTS. Oh right, then how are you going to get your new car, or clothing, or money for commercials to bash your next opponent in the elections?

I hope you come to your senses and stop trying to regulate this country’s citizens into a communist state. This is America, we are free people. You politicians are working hard to turn this great country into the next North Korea.

Mark my words, you will be ousted.

• comerb 07/03/2011 2:00am

]S.978 is a Republican bill submitted by a Democrat, and it’s shameful. No doubt Senator Klobuchar is benefitting from a fat campaign donation from the lobbyists in the entertainment industry.

• FCTTFAF 07/12/2011 6:47pm

Good luck in the elections after S.978

• Inkubus 11/02/2011 2:43am

Don’t you understand anything about free markets? Obviously not since you are the sponsor of Bill S.978. Do you have ANY IDEA how great streaming things like songs and games and videos are to the people who make them? It’s FREE ADVERTISING. There are video games that wouldn’t have made more like $10 if people were not allowed to make videos of them.
    You want to make ME a CRIMINAL just because I have videos of me playing games on YouTube? No, nuh uh, a criminal is someone who duplicates the game then sells it on the black market. THAT is a criminal. I am NOT a criminal, nor are the other people who make these videos. And we could get the SAME SENTENCE that the criminal selling duplicates on the black market could get? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    This bill is criminal. I will not stand for this. My brothers and sisters in this great country will NOT stand for this.

• Spam Comment

• lb5200 01/12/2012 1:16am

Upcoming, you must think of concerning the coloring. Louis Vuitton Bags gives numerous colorations with bags so as to generally locate your chosen coloring or maybe this match up the clothes louis vuitton handbags Black is a great option for anyone people that get a universal coloring. Moreover, Louis Vuitton Outlet the suitable width can be an essential conditions. Make sure you locate the one that match up the physique.

In particular, if you are with small and small prominence,Louis Vuitton Store subsequently a new adorable or maybe small travelling bag could possibly be best for your family.
  • Spam Comment