Sen. Tim Johnson
Democrat • South Dakota • 8th Term • Sworn In 1987
- 10 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 80 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 4 of 100)
- 149 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 53 of 100) 2 Made Into Law (Ranks 13 of 100)
Johnson was born December 28, 1946 in Canton, South Dakota. He earned his B.A. in 1969 and an M.A. in 1970, both from the University of South Dakota. After doing post-graduate studies at Michigan State University from 1970-71, he earned a J.D. from the University of South Dakota in 1975. He served in the South Dakota House of Representatives from 1979-82 and in the South Dakota Senate from 1983-86. He served in the House of Representatives, representing South Dakota at-large, from 1987-97.
Johnson defeated three-term Senator Larry Pressler in 1996. He defeated his successor in the at-large House seat, U.S. Representative John Thune, by 524 votes to win re-election in 2002. His re-election race was widely seen as a proxy battle between President George W. Bush, who had carried South Dakota comfortably in 2000, and the state's senior Senator and Johnson's fellow Democrat, Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, who was up for re-election in 2004. Read More...
- Today: 8
- Past Seven Days: 43
- All-Time: 36,220
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Economic Policy
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- National Security and International Trade and Finance
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Public Lands, Forests, and Mining
- Water and Power
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2125Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Mar 13, 2014 5 Views
A bill to amend the Communications Act of 1934 to ensure the integrity of voice communications and to prevent unjust or unreasonable discrimin...
S.Con.Res.25On motion to suspend the rules and agree Nov 18, 2013 5 Views
A concurrent resolution authorizing the use of Emancipation Hall in the Capitol Visitor Center for activities associated with the ceremony to ...
S.Res.224Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Sep 12, 2013 2 Views
An original resolution authorizing expenditures by the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.386Referred to the Committee Mar 13, 2014 4 Views
A resolution supporting the goals and ideals of National Professional Social Work Month and World Social Work Day.
S.Res.377Resolution agreed to in Senate Mar 13, 2014 15 Views
A resolution recognizing the 193rd anniversary of the independence of Greece and celebrating democracy in Greece and the United States.
S.2086 - Reliable Home Heating ActRead twice and referred Mar 06, 2014 17 Views
A bill to address current emergency shortages of propane and other home heating fuels and to provide greater flexibility and information for G...
Recent Voting History
H.R. 3370: Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2013
On Passage of the Bill H.R. 3370Nay (against party)March 13, 2014
S. 1086: Child Care and Development Block Grant Act of 2014
On Passage of the Bill S. 1086Aye (with party)March 13, 2014
On the Nomination PN1179: Caroline Diane Krass, of the District of Columbia, to be General Counsel of the Central Intelligence AgencyAye (with party)March 13, 2014