Sen. Tim Johnson
Democrat • South Dakota • 8th Term • Sworn In 1987
- 10 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 75 of 99) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 1 of 99)
- 125 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 47 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 7 of 100)
Johnson was born December 28, 1946 in Canton, South Dakota. He earned his B.A. in 1969 and an M.A. in 1970, both from the University of South Dakota. After doing post-graduate studies at Michigan State University from 1970-71, he earned a J.D. from the University of South Dakota in 1975. He served in the South Dakota House of Representatives from 1979-82 and in the South Dakota Senate from 1983-86. He served in the House of Representatives, representing South Dakota at-large, from 1987-97.
Johnson defeated three-term Senator Larry Pressler in 1996. He defeated his successor in the at-large House seat, U.S. Representative John Thune, by 524 votes to win re-election in 2002. His re-election race was widely seen as a proxy battle between President George W. Bush, who had carried South Dakota comfortably in 2000, and the state's senior Senator and Johnson's fellow Democrat, Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, who was up for re-election in 2004. Read More...
- Today: 10
- Past Seven Days: 36
- All-Time: 35,650
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Economic Policy
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- National Security and International Trade and Finance
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Public Lands, Forests, and Mining
- Water and Power
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.Con.Res.25On motion to suspend the rules and agree Nov 18, 2013 29 Views
A concurrent resolution authorizing the use of Emancipation Hall in the Capitol Visitor Center for activities associated with the ceremony to ...
S.Res.224Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Sep 12, 2013 5 Views
An original resolution authorizing expenditures by the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.
S.1376 - FHA Solvency Act of 2013Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Jul 31, 2013 9 Views
A bill to improve the Federal Housing Administration and to ensure the solvency of the Mutual Mortgage Insurance Fund, and for other purposes.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.1772 - Public Good IRA Rollover Act of 2013Read twice and referred Nov 21, 2013 6 Views
A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to expand tax-free distributions from individual retirement accounts for charitable purposes.
S.Res.305Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Nov 20, 2013 8 Views
A resolution recognizing National Native American Heritage Month and celebrating the heritages and cultures of Native Americans and the contri...
S.Res.301Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Nov 19, 2013 14 Views
A resolution recognizing and supporting the goals and implementation of the National Alzheimer's Project Act and the National Plan to Address ...
Recent Voting History
On the Concurrent Resolution S.Con.Res. 28Aye (with party)November 21, 2013
S. 1197: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2014
On the Cloture Motion S. 1197Aye (with party)November 21, 2013
On the Cloture Motion PN527: Patricia Ann Millett, of Virginia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the District of Columbia CircuitAye (with party)November 21, 2013