Sen. Tim Johnson
Democrat • South Dakota • 8th Term • Sworn In 1987
- 10 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 80 of 99) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 4 of 99)
- 147 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 53 of 100) 2 Made Into Law (Ranks 13 of 100)
Johnson was born December 28, 1946 in Canton, South Dakota. He earned his B.A. in 1969 and an M.A. in 1970, both from the University of South Dakota. After doing post-graduate studies at Michigan State University from 1970-71, he earned a J.D. from the University of South Dakota in 1975. He served in the South Dakota House of Representatives from 1979-82 and in the South Dakota Senate from 1983-86. He served in the House of Representatives, representing South Dakota at-large, from 1987-97.
Johnson defeated three-term Senator Larry Pressler in 1996. He defeated his successor in the at-large House seat, U.S. Representative John Thune, by 524 votes to win re-election in 2002. His re-election race was widely seen as a proxy battle between President George W. Bush, who had carried South Dakota comfortably in 2000, and the state's senior Senator and Johnson's fellow Democrat, Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, who was up for re-election in 2004. Read More...
- Today: 12
- Past Seven Days: 41
- All-Time: 36,203
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Economic Policy
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- National Security and International Trade and Finance
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Public Lands, Forests, and Mining
- Water and Power
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.Con.Res.25On motion to suspend the rules and agree Nov 18, 2013 8 Views
A concurrent resolution authorizing the use of Emancipation Hall in the Capitol Visitor Center for activities associated with the ceremony to ...
S.Res.224Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Sep 12, 2013 7 Views
An original resolution authorizing expenditures by the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.
S.1376 - FHA Solvency Act of 2013Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar Dec 19, 2013 9 Views
A bill to improve the Federal Housing Administration and to ensure the solvency of the Mutual Mortgage Insurance Fund, and for other purposes.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.2085Read twice and referred Mar 05, 2014 19 Views
A bill to address shortages and interruptions in the availability of propane and other home heating fuels in the United States, and for other ...
S.2046 - Access to Hearing Healthcare Act of 2014Read twice and referred Feb 26, 2014 23 Views
A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide Medicare beneficiaries coordinated care and greater choice with regard to ac...
S.1979 - USA Retirement Funds ActRead twice and referred Jan 30, 2014 22 Views
A bill to provide for USA Retirement Funds, to reform the pension system, and for other purposes.
Recent Voting History
On the Cloture Motion PN1204: Linda Vivienne Parker, of Michigan, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of MichiganAye (with party)March 11, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1202: Laurie J. Michelson, of Michigan, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of MichiganAye (with party)March 11, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1201: Judith Ellen Levy, of Michigan, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of MichiganAye (with party)March 11, 2014