Sen. Tim Johnson
Democrat • South Dakota • 3rd Term • Sworn In 1997
- 16 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 83 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 8 of 100)
- 204 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 60 of 100) 4 Made Into Law (Ranks 38 of 100)
Johnson was born December 28, 1946 in Canton, South Dakota. He earned his B.A. in 1969 and an M.A. in 1970, both from the University of South Dakota. After doing post-graduate studies at Michigan State University from 1970-71, he earned a J.D. from the University of South Dakota in 1975. He served in the South Dakota House of Representatives from 1979-82 and in the South Dakota Senate from 1983-86. He served in the House of Representatives, representing South Dakota at-large, from 1987-97.
Johnson defeated three-term Senator Larry Pressler in 1996. He defeated his successor in the at-large House seat, U.S. Representative John Thune, by 524 votes to win re-election in 2002. His re-election race was widely seen as a proxy battle between President George W. Bush, who had carried South Dakota comfortably in 2000, and the state's senior Senator and Johnson's fellow Democrat, Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, who was up for re-election in 2004. Read More...
- Today: 10
- Past Seven Days: 57
- All-Time: 37,794
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Economic Policy
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- National Security and International Trade and Finance
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Public Lands, Forests, and Mining
- Water and Power
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2910 - Fairness and Independence in Redistricting ActRead twice and referred Sep 18, 2014 5 Views
A bill to prohibit States from carrying out more than one Congressional redistricting after a decennial census and apportionment, to require S...
S.2570 - Tribal Adoption Parity ActRead twice and referred Jul 09, 2014 2 Views
A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to recognize Indian tribal governments for purposes of determining under the adoption credit...
S.2464 - National Bison Legacy ActRead twice and referred Jun 11, 2014 3 Views
A bill to adopt the bison as the national mammal of the United States.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.591Referred to the Committee Nov 20, 2014 18 Views
A resolution supporting the goals and ideals of American Education Week.
S.2960Read twice and referred Nov 20, 2014 12 Views
A bill to provide for rental assistance for homeless or at-risk Indian veterans.
S.Res.588Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Nov 20, 2014 31 Views
A resolution recognizing that access to hospitals and other health care providers for patients in rural areas of the United States is essentia...
Recent Voting History
On the Cloture Motion PN1230: Leigh Martin May, of Georgia, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of GeorgiaAye (with party)November 12, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1552: Randolph D. Moss, of Maryland, to be United States District Judge for the District of ColumbiaAye (with party)November 12, 2014
H.J.Res. 124: Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
On the Cloture Motion H.J.Res. 124Aye (with party)September 18, 2014