Sen. John McCain
Republican • Arizona • 5th Term • Sworn In 1987
- 12 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 85 of 99) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 29 of 99)
- 123 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 90 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 83 of 100)
McCain was born August 29, 1936 in Coco Solo in the U.S controlled Panama Canal Zone. After high school graduation in 1954, McCain entered the United States Naval Academy and graduated in 1958. McCain became a Captain in the United States Navy. On October 26, 1967, McCain was shot down over Vietnam, and was held as a prisoner of war in Hanoi for five-and-a-half years, mostly in the infamous Hanoi Hilton. He was released from captivity in 1973. He was honorably discharged upon his retirement from the Navy in 1981.
During his military career he received a Silver Star Medal, a Bronze Star Medal, the Legion of Merit, the Purple Heart, and a Distinguished Flying Cross (USA). Official Senate Biography Read More...
- Today: 23
- Past Seven Days: 92
- All-Time: 116,488
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- African Affairs
- East Asian and Pacific Affairs
- Near Eastern and South and Central Asian Affairs
- Western Hemisphere and Global Narcotics Affairs
- Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Emergency Management, Intergovernmental Relations, and the District of Columbia
- Financial and Contracting Oversight
- Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2593Read twice and referred Jul 10, 2014 6 Views
A bill to amend the FLAME Act of 2009 to provide for additional wildfire suppression activities, to provide for the conduct of certain forest ...
S.2561 - Human Smuggling Prevention Act of 2014Read twice and referred Jun 26, 2014 17 Views
A bill to prevent organized human smuggling, and for other purposes.
S.2424 - Veterans Choice Act of 2014Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Jun 03, 2014 9 Views
A bill to provide veterans with the choice of medical providers and to increase transparency and accountability of operations of the Veterans ...
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.498Referred to the Committee Jul 10, 2014 8 Views
A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate regarding United States support for the State of Israel as it defends itself against unprovoke...
S.Res.500Referred to the Committee Jul 10, 2014 5 Views
A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate with respect to enhanced relations with the Republic of Moldova and support for the Republic o...
S.2592Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Jul 10, 2014 6 Views
A bill to promote energy production and security, and for other purposes.
Recent Voting History
On the Nomination PN1737: Shaun L. S. Donovan, of New York, to be Director of the Office of Management and BudgetAye (with party)July 10, 2014
S. 2363: Bipartisan Sportsmen's Act of 2014
On the Cloture Motion S. 2363Nay (with party)July 10, 2014
On the Nomination PN1736: Julian Castro, of Texas, to be Secretary of Housing and Urban DevelopmentNay (with party)July 09, 2014