Sen. John McCain
Republican • Arizona • 5th Term • Sworn In 1987
- 15 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 82 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 31 of 100)
- 134 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 90 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 90 of 100)
McCain was born August 29, 1936 in Coco Solo in the U.S controlled Panama Canal Zone. After high school graduation in 1954, McCain entered the United States Naval Academy and graduated in 1958. McCain became a Captain in the United States Navy. On October 26, 1967, McCain was shot down over Vietnam, and was held as a prisoner of war in Hanoi for five-and-a-half years, mostly in the infamous Hanoi Hilton. He was released from captivity in 1973. He was honorably discharged upon his retirement from the Navy in 1981.
During his military career he received a Silver Star Medal, a Bronze Star Medal, the Legion of Merit, the Purple Heart, and a Distinguished Flying Cross (USA). Official Senate Biography Read More...
- Today: 27
- Past Seven Days: 111
- All-Time: 117,196
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- African Affairs
- East Asian and Pacific Affairs
- Near Eastern and South and Central Asian Affairs
- Western Hemisphere and Global Narcotics Affairs
- Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Emergency Management, Intergovernmental Relations, and the District of Columbia
- Financial and Contracting Oversight
- Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2733 - Obamacare Opt-Out Act of 2014Read twice and referred Jul 31, 2014 10 Views
A bill to establish a certification process for opting out of the individual health insurance mandate.
S.2670 - Keep the Promise Act of 2014Read twice and referred Jul 28, 2014 4 Views
A bill to prohibit gaming activities on certain Indian land in Arizona until the expiration of certain gaming compacts.
S.2619 - Children Returning on an Expedited and Safe Timeline ActRead twice and referred Jul 17, 2014 12 Views
A bill to prevent organized human smuggling, and for other purposes.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.531Referred to the Committee Jul 31, 2014 10 Views
A resolution honoring the life, accomplishments, and legacy of Louis Zamperini and expressing condolences on his passing.
S.Res.530Referred to the Committee Jul 30, 2014 14 Views
A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate on the current situation in Iraq and the urgent need to protect religious minorities from pers...
S.2673 - United States-Israel Strategic Partnership Act of 2014Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Aug 01, 2014 12 Views
A bill to enhance the strategic partnership between the United States and Israel.
Recent Voting History
On the Cloture Motion PN1180: Jill A. Pryor, of Georgia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eleventh CircuitNay (with party)July 31, 2014
H.R. 5021: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2014
On the Motion (Motion to Recede in the Senate Amendment to H.R. 5021)Nay (against party)July 31, 2014
H.R. 3230: Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014
On the Conference Report H.R. 3230Aye (with party)July 31, 2014