Sen. Barbara Mikulski
Democrat • Maryland • 5th Term • Sworn In 1987
- 21 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 73 of 98) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 12 of 98)
- 226 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 54 of 100) 5 Made Into Law (Ranks 40 of 100)
Mikulski was born July 20, 1936 in Baltimore, Maryland. After graduating from Mount St. Agnes College (now a part of the Loyola College in Maryland), she obtained her Master's degree in social work from the University of Maryland, College Park. She worked as a social worker for Catholic charities and Baltimore's Department of Social Services, helping at-risk children and educating seniors about the Medicare program. Mikulkski became an activist social worker when she heard about plans to build a 16 lane highway through Baltimore's Fells Point neighborhood. She helped organize communities on both sides of the city and stopped the construction of the road, saving Fells Point (now one of Baltimore's most popular neighborhoods) and Baltimore's Inner Harbor.
Her activism led to a positive reputation and a seat on the Baltimore City Council in 1971. In 1974 she ran for the U.S. Senate for the first time, but was defeated by the Republican incumbent, Charles Mathias, Jr. In 1976, she ran for the House of Representatives representing the third district of Maryland, winning 76% of the vote. Read More...
- Today: 8
- Past Seven Days: 65
- All-Time: 45,026
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Financial Services and General Government
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- Children and Families
- Primary Health and Aging
- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.Res.594Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Dec 04, 2014 13 Views
A resolution celebrating the centennial year of the birth of Jan Karski and honoring his extraordinary and courageous life.
S.2648 - Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2014Motion to proceed to consideration Jul 31, 2014 7 Views
A bill making emergency supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2014, and for other purposes.
S.Res.513Resolution agreed to in Senate Jul 31, 2014 4 Views
A resolution honoring the 70th anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.591Referred to the Committee Nov 20, 2014 7 Views
A resolution supporting the goals and ideals of American Education Week.
S.2917 - Adding Ebola to the FDA Priority Review Voucher Program ActBecame Public Law No: 113-233 Dec 16, 2014 37 Views
A bill to expand the program of priority review to encourage treatments for tropical diseases.
S.Res.570Referred to the Committee Sep 18, 2014 1 Views
A resolution designating October 17, 2014, as "National Alternative Fuel Vehicle Day".
Recent Voting History
On the Nomination PN1345: Stephen R. Bough, of Missouri, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of MissouriAye (with party)December 16, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1345: Stephen R. Bough, of Missouri, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of MissouriAye (with party)December 16, 2014
H.R. 5771: Tax Technical Corrections Act of 2014
On Passage of the Bill H.R. 5771Aye (with party)December 16, 2014