Sen. Barbara Mikulski
Democrat • Maryland • 5th Term • Sworn In 1987
- 20 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 70 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 29 of 100)
- 203 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 54 of 100) 3 Made Into Law (Ranks 36 of 100)
Mikulski was born July 20, 1936 in Baltimore, Maryland. After graduating from Mount St. Agnes College (now a part of the Loyola College in Maryland), she obtained her Master's degree in social work from the University of Maryland, College Park. She worked as a social worker for Catholic charities and Baltimore's Department of Social Services, helping at-risk children and educating seniors about the Medicare program. Mikulkski became an activist social worker when she heard about plans to build a 16 lane highway through Baltimore's Fells Point neighborhood. She helped organize communities on both sides of the city and stopped the construction of the road, saving Fells Point (now one of Baltimore's most popular neighborhoods) and Baltimore's Inner Harbor.
Her activism led to a positive reputation and a seat on the Baltimore City Council in 1971. In 1974 she ran for the U.S. Senate for the first time, but was defeated by the Republican incumbent, Charles Mathias, Jr. In 1976, she ran for the House of Representatives representing the third district of Maryland, winning 76% of the vote. Read More...
- Today: 14
- Past Seven Days: 68
- All-Time: 43,751
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Financial Services and General Government
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- Children and Families
- Primary Health and Aging
- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2648 - Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2014Cloture motion on the bill rendered moot Jul 31, 2014 38 Views
A bill making emergency supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2014, and for other purposes.
S.Res.513Resolution agreed to in Senate Jul 31, 2014 6 Views
A resolution honoring the 70th anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising.
S.Res.509Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Jul 21, 2014 10 Views
A resolution honoring the extraordinary and courageous life of Mattie Stepanek.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.526Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Jul 29, 2014 12 Views
A resolution supporting Israel's right to defend itself against Hamas, and for other purposes.
S.Res.524Referred to the Committee Jul 28, 2014 12 Views
A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate regarding global climate change.
S.2673 - United States-Israel Strategic Partnership Act of 2014Read the second time Jul 29, 2014 21 Views
A bill to enhance the strategic partnership between the United States and Israel.
Recent Voting History
On the Cloture Motion PN1180: Jill A. Pryor, of Georgia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eleventh CircuitAye (with party)July 31, 2014
H.R. 5021: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2014
On the Motion (Motion to Recede in the Senate Amendment to H.R. 5021)Aye (with party)July 31, 2014
H.R. 3230: Veterans' Access to Care through Choice, Accountability, and Transparency Act of 2014
On the Conference Report H.R. 3230Aye (with party)July 31, 2014