Sen. Barbara Mikulski
Democrat • Maryland • 10th Term • Sworn In 1977
- 13 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 65 of 99) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 12 of 99)
- 125 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 47 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 7 of 100)
Mikulski was born July 20, 1936 in Baltimore, Maryland. After graduating from Mount St. Agnes College (now a part of the Loyola College in Maryland), she obtained her Master's degree in social work from the University of Maryland, College Park. She worked as a social worker for Catholic charities and Baltimore's Department of Social Services, helping at-risk children and educating seniors about the Medicare program. Mikulkski became an activist social worker when she heard about plans to build a 16 lane highway through Baltimore's Fells Point neighborhood. She helped organize communities on both sides of the city and stopped the construction of the road, saving Fells Point (now one of Baltimore's most popular neighborhoods) and Baltimore's Inner Harbor.
Her activism led to a positive reputation and a seat on the Baltimore City Council in 1971. In 1974 she ran for the U.S. Senate for the first time, but was defeated by the Republican incumbent, Charles Mathias, Jr. In 1976, she ran for the House of Representatives representing the third district of Maryland, winning 76% of the vote. Read More...
- Today: 10
- Past Seven Days: 48
- All-Time: 41,888
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Financial Services and General Government
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- Children and Families
- Primary Health and Aging
- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.Res.221Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Sep 10, 2013 13 Views
A resolution designating the week of October 7 through October 13, 2013, as "Naturopathic Medicine Week" to recognize the value of naturopathi...
S.1345 - Dr. R. Adams Cowley Congressional Gold Medal ActRead twice and referred Jul 23, 2013 4 Views
A bill to award posthumously a Congressional Gold Medal to Dr. R. Adams Cowley, in recognition of his lifelong commitment to the advancement o...
S.1329 - Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2014Committee on Appropriations Jul 18, 2013 8 Views
An original bill making appropriations for Departments of Commerce and Justice, and Science, and Related Agencies for the fiscal year ending S...
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.301Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Nov 19, 2013 8 Views
A resolution recognizing and supporting the goals and implementation of the National Alzheimer's Project Act and the National Plan to Address ...
S.1697 - Strong Start for America's Children ActRead twice and referred Nov 13, 2013 15 Views
A bill to support early learning.
S.1696 - Women's Health Protection Act of 2013Read twice and referred Nov 13, 2013 157 Views
A bill to protect a women's right to determine whether and when to bear a child or end a pregnancy by limiting restrictions on the provision o...
Recent Voting History
On the Concurrent Resolution S.Con.Res. 28Aye (with party)November 21, 2013
S. 1197: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2014
On the Cloture Motion S. 1197Aye (with party)November 21, 2013
On the Cloture Motion PN527: Patricia Ann Millett, of Virginia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the District of Columbia CircuitAye (with party)November 21, 2013