Sen. Richard Shelby
Republican • Alabama • 5th Term • Sworn In 1987
- 8 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 92 of 99) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 29 of 99)
- 43 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 100 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 83 of 100)
Shelby was born May 6, 1934 in Birmingham, Alabama. He attended both undergraduate programs and law school at the University of Alabama, graduating in 1957 and 1963, respectively. After graduating, Shelby practiced law in Tuscaloosa from 1963 to 1978.
He then entered politics when he served as city prosecutor from 1963 to 1971. From 1966 to 1970, he was a U.S. Magistrate for the Northern District of Alabama; from 1969 to 1971, Shelby was a Special Assistant State Attorney General. Read More...
- Today: 6
- Past Seven Days: 46
- All-Time: 46,991
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Financial Services and General Government
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.869 - Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area ActCommittee on Energy and Natural Resources Subcommittee Jul 31, 2013 7 Views
A bill to establish the Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area, and for other purposes.
S.737 - Basel III Impact Study ActRead twice and referred Apr 16, 2013 5 Views
A bill to require the Federal banking agencies to conduct a quantitative impact study on the cumulative effect of the Basel III framework devi...
S.450 - Financial Regulatory Responsibility Act of 2013Read twice and referred Mar 05, 2013 8 Views
A bill to require enhanced economic analysis and justification of regulations proposed by certain Federal banking, housing, securities, and co...
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.496Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Jul 07, 2014 19 Views
A resolution relative to the death of the Honorable Alan John Dixon, former United States Senator for the State of Illinois.
S.Res.494Message on Senate action sent Jun 30, 2014 9 Views
A resolution relative to the death of Howard H. Baker, Jr., former United States Senator for the State of Tennessee.
S.Res.471Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Jun 11, 2014 8 Views
A resolution honoring former President George H.W. Bush on the occasion of his 90th birthday and Barbara Bush on the occasion of her 89th birt...
Recent Voting History
On the Nomination PN1516: John W. deGravelles, of Louisiana, to be United States District Judge for the Middle District of LouisianaAye (with party)July 22, 2014
On the Nomination PN1476: Robin L. Rosenberg, of Florida, to be United States District Judge for the Southern District of FloridaAye (with party)July 22, 2014
On the Nomination PN1551: Andre Birotte, Jr., of California, to be United States District Judge for the Central District of CaliforniaAye (with party)July 22, 2014