Sen. Richard Shelby
Republican • Alabama • 5th Term • Sworn In 1987
- 8 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 94 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 35 of 100)
- 50 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 100 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 91 of 100)
Shelby was born May 6, 1934 in Birmingham, Alabama. He attended both undergraduate programs and law school at the University of Alabama, graduating in 1957 and 1963, respectively. After graduating, Shelby practiced law in Tuscaloosa from 1963 to 1978.
He then entered politics when he served as city prosecutor from 1963 to 1971. From 1966 to 1970, he was a U.S. Magistrate for the Northern District of Alabama; from 1969 to 1971, Shelby was a Special Assistant State Attorney General. Read More...
- Today: 8
- Past Seven Days: 43
- All-Time: 47,819
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Financial Services and General Government
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.869 - Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area ActCommittee on Energy and Natural Resources Subcommittee Jul 31, 2013 8 Views
A bill to establish the Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area, and for other purposes.
S.737 - Basel III Impact Study ActRead twice and referred Apr 16, 2013 6 Views
A bill to require the Federal banking agencies to conduct a quantitative impact study on the cumulative effect of the Basel III framework devi...
S.450 - Financial Regulatory Responsibility Act of 2013Read twice and referred Mar 05, 2013 5 Views
A bill to require enhanced economic analysis and justification of regulations proposed by certain Federal banking, housing, securities, and co...
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.575Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Sep 18, 2014 3 Views
A resolution designating September 2014 as "National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month".
S.Res.539Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Sep 09, 2014 10 Views
A resolution relative to the death of James M. Jeffords, former United States Senator for the State of Vermont.
S.2714 - World War I American Veterans Centennial Commemorative Coin ActRead twice and referred Jul 31, 2014 5 Views
A bill to require the Secretary of the Treasury to mint coins in commemoration of the centennial of World War I.
Recent Voting History
On the Cloture Motion PN1230: Leigh Martin May, of Georgia, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of GeorgiaAye (against party)November 12, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1552: Randolph D. Moss, of Maryland, to be United States District Judge for the District of ColumbiaNay (with party)November 12, 2014
H.J.Res. 124: Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
On the Cloture Motion H.J.Res. 124Aye (with party)September 18, 2014