Sen. Richard Shelby
Republican • Alabama • 9th Term • Sworn In 1979
- 8 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 79 of 99) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 12 of 99)
- 25 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 99 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 68 of 100)
Shelby was born May 6, 1934 in Birmingham, Alabama. He attended both undergraduate programs and law school at the University of Alabama, graduating in 1957 and 1963, respectively. After graduating, Shelby practiced law in Tuscaloosa from 1963 to 1978.
He then entered politics when he served as city prosecutor from 1963 to 1971. From 1966 to 1970, he was a U.S. Magistrate for the Northern District of Alabama; from 1969 to 1971, Shelby was a Special Assistant State Attorney General. Read More...
- Today: 15
- Past Seven Days: 52
- All-Time: 45,522
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Financial Services and General Government
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.869 - Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area ActCommittee on Energy and Natural Resources Subcommittee Jul 31, 2013 5 Views
A bill to establish the Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area, and for other purposes.
S.737 - Basel III Impact Study ActRead twice and referred Apr 16, 2013 3 Views
A bill to require the Federal banking agencies to conduct a quantitative impact study on the cumulative effect of the Basel III framework devi...
S.451 - Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Technical Corrections Act of 2013Read twice and referred Mar 05, 2013 5 Views
A bill to make technical corrections to the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.1670 - Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection ActRead twice and referred Nov 07, 2013 40 Views
A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to protect pain-capable unborn children, and for other purposes.
S.1676 - Return Our State Shares ActRead twice and referred Nov 07, 2013 8 Views
A bill to exempt certain payments to States from sequestration.
S.1617 - If You Like Your Health Plan, You Can Keep it ActSponsor introductory remarks on measure Oct 30, 2013 13 Views
A bill to amend the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to ensure that individuals can keep their health insurance coverage.
Recent Voting History
On the Concurrent Resolution S.Con.Res. 28Nay (with party)November 21, 2013
S. 1197: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2014
On the Cloture Motion S. 1197Nay (with party)November 21, 2013
On the Cloture Motion PN527: Patricia Ann Millett, of Virginia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the District of Columbia CircuitNay (with party)November 21, 2013