Sen. Richard Shelby
Republican • Alabama • 9th Term • Sworn In 1979
- 8 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 88 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 23 of 100)
- 34 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 100 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 82 of 100)
Shelby was born May 6, 1934 in Birmingham, Alabama. He attended both undergraduate programs and law school at the University of Alabama, graduating in 1957 and 1963, respectively. After graduating, Shelby practiced law in Tuscaloosa from 1963 to 1978.
He then entered politics when he served as city prosecutor from 1963 to 1971. From 1966 to 1970, he was a U.S. Magistrate for the Northern District of Alabama; from 1969 to 1971, Shelby was a Special Assistant State Attorney General. Read More...
- Today: 12
- Past Seven Days: 36
- All-Time: 46,339
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Financial Services and General Government
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.869 - Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area ActCommittee on Energy and Natural Resources Subcommittee Jul 31, 2013 5 Views
A bill to establish the Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area, and for other purposes.
S.737 - Basel III Impact Study ActRead twice and referred Apr 16, 2013 6 Views
A bill to require the Federal banking agencies to conduct a quantitative impact study on the cumulative effect of the Basel III framework devi...
S.450 - Financial Regulatory Responsibility Act of 2013Read twice and referred Mar 05, 2013 2 Views
A bill to require enhanced economic analysis and justification of regulations proposed by certain Federal banking, housing, securities, and co...
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.2190 - Hire More Heroes Act of 2014Read twice and referred Apr 01, 2014 34 Views
A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow employers to exempt employees with health coverage under TRICARE or the Veterans Ad...
S.Res.407Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Mar 31, 2014 18 Views
A resolution honoring former Senator and Rear Admiral Jeremiah Andrew Denton, Jr.
S.2161 - EPA Employment Impact Analysis ActRead twice and referred Mar 26, 2014 18 Views
A bill to prohibit the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency from issuing any final rule under the Clean Air Act until the date...
Recent Voting History
On the Motion for Attendance PN1182: Michelle T. Friedland, of California, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth CircuitAye (against party)April 10, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1182: Michelle T. Friedland, of California, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth CircuitNay (with party)April 10, 2014
On the Nomination PN1063: Terrell McSweeny, of the District of Columbia, to be a Federal Trade Commissioner for the unexpired term of seven years from September 26, 2010Aye (with party)April 09, 2014