Sen. Richard Shelby
Republican • Alabama • 9th Term • Sworn In 1979
- 8 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 84 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 19 of 100)
- 29 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 98 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 80 of 100)
Shelby was born May 6, 1934 in Birmingham, Alabama. He attended both undergraduate programs and law school at the University of Alabama, graduating in 1957 and 1963, respectively. After graduating, Shelby practiced law in Tuscaloosa from 1963 to 1978.
He then entered politics when he served as city prosecutor from 1963 to 1971. From 1966 to 1970, he was a U.S. Magistrate for the Northern District of Alabama; from 1969 to 1971, Shelby was a Special Assistant State Attorney General. Read More...
- Today: 8
- Past Seven Days: 39
- All-Time: 46,132
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Financial Services and General Government
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.869 - Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area ActCommittee on Energy and Natural Resources Subcommittee Jul 31, 2013 7 Views
A bill to establish the Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area, and for other purposes.
S.737 - Basel III Impact Study ActRead twice and referred Apr 16, 2013 2 Views
A bill to require the Federal banking agencies to conduct a quantitative impact study on the cumulative effect of the Basel III framework devi...
S.450 - Financial Regulatory Responsibility Act of 2013Read twice and referred Mar 05, 2013 5 Views
A bill to require enhanced economic analysis and justification of regulations proposed by certain Federal banking, housing, securities, and co...
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.2011 - Stop Targeting of Political Beliefs by the IRS Act of 2014Read twice and referred Feb 11, 2014 17 Views
A bill to prohibit the Internal Revenue Service from modifying the standard for determining whether an organization is operated exclusively fo...
S.J.Res.30Read twice and referred Jan 16, 2014 18 Views
A joint resolution to disapprove a rule of the Environmental Protection Agency relating to greenhouse gas emissions from electric utility gene...
S.1881 - Nuclear Weapon Free Iran Act of 2013Read the second time Dec 20, 2013 23 Views
A bill to expand sanctions imposed with respect to Iran and to impose additional sanctions with respect to Iran, and for other purposes.
Recent Voting History
S. 1917: Victims Protection Act of 2014
On the Cloture Motion S. 1917Aye (with party)March 06, 2014
S. 1752: Military Justice Improvement Act of 2013
On the Cloture Motion S. 1752Nay (with party)March 06, 2014
On the Nomination PN1106: Rose Eilene Gottemoeller, of Virginia, to be Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International SecurityNay (with party)March 06, 2014