Sen. Richard Shelby
Republican • Alabama • 5th Term • Sworn In 1987
- 8 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 94 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 31 of 100)
- 46 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 100 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 90 of 100)
Shelby was born May 6, 1934 in Birmingham, Alabama. He attended both undergraduate programs and law school at the University of Alabama, graduating in 1957 and 1963, respectively. After graduating, Shelby practiced law in Tuscaloosa from 1963 to 1978.
He then entered politics when he served as city prosecutor from 1963 to 1971. From 1966 to 1970, he was a U.S. Magistrate for the Northern District of Alabama; from 1969 to 1971, Shelby was a Special Assistant State Attorney General. Read More...
- Today: 12
- Past Seven Days: 51
- All-Time: 47,182
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Department of Defense
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Financial Services and General Government
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.869 - Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area ActCommittee on Energy and Natural Resources Subcommittee Jul 31, 2013 6 Views
A bill to establish the Alabama Black Belt National Heritage Area, and for other purposes.
S.737 - Basel III Impact Study ActRead twice and referred Apr 16, 2013 2 Views
A bill to require the Federal banking agencies to conduct a quantitative impact study on the cumulative effect of the Basel III framework devi...
S.450 - Financial Regulatory Responsibility Act of 2013Read twice and referred Mar 05, 2013 3 Views
A bill to require enhanced economic analysis and justification of regulations proposed by certain Federal banking, housing, securities, and co...
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.2673 - United States-Israel Strategic Partnership Act of 2014Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Aug 01, 2014 30 Views
A bill to enhance the strategic partnership between the United States and Israel.
S.Res.512Referred to the Committee Jul 23, 2014 11 Views
A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate regarding the Environmental Protection Agency and the proposed rules and guidelines relating t...
S.Res.496Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Jul 07, 2014 5 Views
A resolution relative to the death of the Honorable Alan John Dixon, former United States Senator for the State of Illinois.
Recent Voting History
On the Cloture Motion PN1180: Jill A. Pryor, of Georgia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eleventh CircuitNay (with party)July 31, 2014
H.R. 5021: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2014
On the Motion (Motion to Recede in the Senate Amendment to H.R. 5021)Aye (with party)July 31, 2014
H.R. 3230: Veterans' Access to Care through Choice, Accountability, and Transparency Act of 2014
On the Conference Report H.R. 3230Aye (with party)July 31, 2014