Sen. Jeanne Shaheen
Democrat • New Hampshire • 1st Term • Sworn In 2009
- 58 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 10 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 6 of 100)
- 269 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 15 of 100) 3 Made Into Law (Ranks 36 of 100)
Jeanne Shaheen, the first woman Governor of the State of New Hampshire, as well as a former three-term State Senator, was "born in St. Charles, Missouri in 1947. She earned a B.A. in English from Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania in 1969 and a master's degree in political science from the University of Mississippi in 1973. She taught high school in Mississippi and New Hampshire and operated a small business. For years, Shaheen was very active with the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League. Her initial involvement in politics was in Jimmy Carter's 1976 and 1980 campaigns in the New Hampshire presidential primary. She managed Gary Hart's primary campaign in 1984. In 1980, she was elected to the first of three state senate terms."
Shaheen was "elected to the New Hampshire State Senate in 1990 and has focused her efforts on improving education, recognizing the state university and community-technical college systems, and creating the first state-sponsored industrial research center to increase employment opportunities in New Hampshire. Read More...
- Today: 4
- Past Seven Days: 40
- All-Time: 32,051
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Legislative Branch
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Readiness and Management Support
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- African Affairs
- European Affairs
- International Operations and Organizations, Human Rights, Democracy, and Global Women's Issues
- Western Hemisphere and Global Narcotics Affairs
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2624 - Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2014Read twice and referred Jul 17, 2014 10 Views
A bill to provide additional visas for the Afghan Special Immigrant Visa Program, and for other purposes.
S.Res.500Resolution agreed to in Senate Jul 23, 2014 7 Views
A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate with respect to enhanced relations with the Republic of Moldova and support for the Republic o...
S.2565 - Helping Working Families Afford Child Care ActRead twice and referred Jul 08, 2014 0 Views
A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to enhance the dependent care tax credit, and for other purposes.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.524Referred to the Committee Jul 28, 2014 6 Views
A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate regarding global climate change.
S.2673Introduced in the Senate Jul 28, 2014 5 Views
A bill to enhance the strategic partnership between the United States and Israel.
S.2649Read twice and referred Jul 23, 2014 12 Views
A bill to provide certain legal relief from politically motivated charges by the Government of Egypt.
Recent Voting History
On the Nomination PN1696: Pamela Harris, of Maryland, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Fourth CircuitAye (with party)July 28, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1696: Pamela Harris, of Maryland, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Fourth CircuitAye (with party)July 24, 2014
S. 2569: Bring Jobs Home Act
On the Cloture Motion S. 2569Aye (with party)July 23, 2014