Sen. Jeanne Shaheen
Democrat • New Hampshire • 1st Term • Sworn In 2009
- 41 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 23 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 4 of 100)
- 208 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 24 of 100) 2 Made Into Law (Ranks 25 of 100)
Jeanne Shaheen, the first woman Governor of the State of New Hampshire, as well as a former three-term State Senator, was "born in St. Charles, Missouri in 1947. She earned a B.A. in English from Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania in 1969 and a master's degree in political science from the University of Mississippi in 1973. She taught high school in Mississippi and New Hampshire and operated a small business. For years, Shaheen was very active with the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League. Her initial involvement in politics was in Jimmy Carter's 1976 and 1980 campaigns in the New Hampshire presidential primary. She managed Gary Hart's primary campaign in 1984. In 1980, she was elected to the first of three state senate terms."
Shaheen was "elected to the New Hampshire State Senate in 1990 and has focused her efforts on improving education, recognizing the state university and community-technical college systems, and creating the first state-sponsored industrial research center to increase employment opportunities in New Hampshire. Read More...
- Today: 9
- Past Seven Days: 47
- All-Time: 31,494
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Legislative Branch
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Readiness and Management Support
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- African Affairs
- European Affairs
- International Operations and Organizations, Human Rights, Democracy, and Global Women's Issues
- Western Hemisphere and Global Narcotics Affairs
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2201Read twice and referred Apr 02, 2014 7 Views
A bill to limit the level of premium subsidy provided by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation to agricultural producers.
S.2197Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar Apr 10, 2014 15 Views
A bill to repeal certain requirements regarding newspaper advertising of Senate stationery contracts.
S.2138 - Veterans Hiring ActRead twice and referred Mar 13, 2014 6 Views
A bill to provide a payroll tax holiday for newly hired veterans.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.2250Read twice and referred Apr 10, 2014 35 Views
A bill to extend the Travel Promotion Act of 2009, and for other purposes.
S.Res.413Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar Apr 11, 2014 39 Views
A resolution recognizing 20 years since the genocide in Rwanda, and affirming it is in the national interest of the United States to work in c...
S.2209 - Syrian War Crimes Accountability Act of 2014Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Apr 10, 2014 23 Views
A bill to require a report on accountability for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Syria.
Recent Voting History
On the Motion for Attendance PN1182: Michelle T. Friedland, of California, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth CircuitAye (with party)April 10, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1182: Michelle T. Friedland, of California, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth CircuitAye (with party)April 10, 2014
On the Nomination PN1063: Terrell McSweeny, of the District of Columbia, to be a Federal Trade Commissioner for the unexpired term of seven years from September 26, 2010Aye (with party)April 09, 2014