Sen. Jeanne Shaheen
Democrat • New Hampshire • 1st Term • Sworn In 2009
- 59 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 11 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 6 of 100)
- 280 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 14 of 100) 3 Made Into Law (Ranks 36 of 100)
Jeanne Shaheen, the first woman Governor of the State of New Hampshire, as well as a former three-term State Senator, was "born in St. Charles, Missouri in 1947. She earned a B.A. in English from Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania in 1969 and a master's degree in political science from the University of Mississippi in 1973. She taught high school in Mississippi and New Hampshire and operated a small business. For years, Shaheen was very active with the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League. Her initial involvement in politics was in Jimmy Carter's 1976 and 1980 campaigns in the New Hampshire presidential primary. She managed Gary Hart's primary campaign in 1984. In 1980, she was elected to the first of three state senate terms."
Shaheen was "elected to the New Hampshire State Senate in 1990 and has focused her efforts on improving education, recognizing the state university and community-technical college systems, and creating the first state-sponsored industrial research center to increase employment opportunities in New Hampshire. Read More...
- Today: 5
- Past Seven Days: 39
- All-Time: 32,067
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Legislative Branch
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Readiness and Management Support
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- African Affairs
- European Affairs
- International Operations and Organizations, Human Rights, Democracy, and Global Women's Issues
- Western Hemisphere and Global Narcotics Affairs
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2749Read twice and referred Jul 31, 2014 2 Views
A bill to establish a board of directors and CEO to oversee the Federal Exchange and State Exchanges, and to provide health insurance oversight.
S.2687Read twice and referred Jul 30, 2014 8 Views
A bill to amend title 10, United States Code, to ensure that women members of the Armed Forces and their families have access to the contracep...
S.2624 - Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2014Read twice and referred Jul 17, 2014 6 Views
A bill to provide additional visas for the Afghan Special Immigrant Visa Program, and for other purposes.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.530Referred to the Committee Jul 30, 2014 6 Views
A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate on the current situation in Iraq and the urgent need to protect religious minorities from pers...
S.2689Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Jul 30, 2014 6 Views
A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to specify coverage of continuous glucose monitoring devices, and for other purposes.
S.2693 - Women's Small Business Ownership Act of 2014Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Jul 30, 2014 4 Views
A bill to reauthorize the women's business center program of the Small Business Administration, and for other purposes.
Recent Voting History
On the Cloture Motion PN1180: Jill A. Pryor, of Georgia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eleventh CircuitAye (with party)July 31, 2014
H.R. 5021: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2014
On the Motion (Motion to Recede in the Senate Amendment to H.R. 5021)Aye (with party)July 31, 2014
H.R. 3230: Veterans' Access to Care through Choice, Accountability, and Transparency Act of 2014
On the Conference Report H.R. 3230Aye (with party)July 31, 2014