Sen. Jeanne Shaheen
Democrat • New Hampshire • 1st Term • Sworn In 2009
- 63 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 14 of 98) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 17 of 98)
- 310 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 15 of 100) 8 Made Into Law (Ranks 20 of 100)
Jeanne Shaheen, the first woman Governor of the State of New Hampshire, as well as a former three-term State Senator, was "born in St. Charles, Missouri in 1947. She earned a B.A. in English from Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania in 1969 and a master's degree in political science from the University of Mississippi in 1973. She taught high school in Mississippi and New Hampshire and operated a small business. For years, Shaheen was very active with the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League. Her initial involvement in politics was in Jimmy Carter's 1976 and 1980 campaigns in the New Hampshire presidential primary. She managed Gary Hart's primary campaign in 1984. In 1980, she was elected to the first of three state senate terms."
Shaheen was "elected to the New Hampshire State Senate in 1990 and has focused her efforts on improving education, recognizing the state university and community-technical college systems, and creating the first state-sponsored industrial research center to increase employment opportunities in New Hampshire. Read More...
- Today: 4
- Past Seven Days: 35
- All-Time: 33,053
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Legislative Branch
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Readiness and Management Support
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- African Affairs
- European Affairs
- International Operations and Organizations, Human Rights, Democracy, and Global Women's Issues
- Western Hemisphere and Global Narcotics Affairs
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2971 - Energy Efficiency Improvement Act of 2014Read twice and referred Dec 03, 2014 7 Views
A bill to promote energy efficiency, and for other purposes.
S.2791 - EPS Service Parts Act of 2014Read twice and referred Sep 10, 2014 1 Views
A bill to amend the Energy Policy and Conservation Act to permit exemptions for external power supplies from certain efficiency standards, and...
S.Res.538Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Sep 09, 2014 0 Views
A resolution expressing the condolences of the Senate to the families of James Foley and Steven Sotloff, and condemning the terrorist acts of ...
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.3014 - Veterans Traumatic Brain Injury Care Improvement Act of 2014Read twice and referred Dec 12, 2014 8 Views
A bill to extend and modify a pilot program on assisted living services for veterans with traumatic brain injury, and for other purposes.
S.Res.597Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar Dec 11, 2014 12 Views
A resolution commemorating and supporting the goals of World AIDS day.
S.2990 - STEP UP for American Small Businesses ActRead twice and referred Dec 09, 2014 8 Views
A bill to establish a State Trade and Export Promotion Grant Program.
Recent Voting History
On the Nomination PN1345: Stephen R. Bough, of Missouri, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of MissouriAye (with party)December 16, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1345: Stephen R. Bough, of Missouri, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of MissouriAye (with party)December 16, 2014
H.R. 5771: Tax Technical Corrections Act of 2014
On Passage of the Bill H.R. 5771Aye (with party)December 16, 2014