Sen. Jeanne Shaheen
Democrat • New Hampshire • 1st Term • Sworn In 2009
- 57 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 11 of 99) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 6 of 99)
- 260 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 16 of 100) 3 Made Into Law (Ranks 36 of 100)
Jeanne Shaheen, the first woman Governor of the State of New Hampshire, as well as a former three-term State Senator, was "born in St. Charles, Missouri in 1947. She earned a B.A. in English from Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania in 1969 and a master's degree in political science from the University of Mississippi in 1973. She taught high school in Mississippi and New Hampshire and operated a small business. For years, Shaheen was very active with the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League. Her initial involvement in politics was in Jimmy Carter's 1976 and 1980 campaigns in the New Hampshire presidential primary. She managed Gary Hart's primary campaign in 1984. In 1980, she was elected to the first of three state senate terms."
Shaheen was "elected to the New Hampshire State Senate in 1990 and has focused her efforts on improving education, recognizing the state university and community-technical college systems, and creating the first state-sponsored industrial research center to increase employment opportunities in New Hampshire. Read More...
- Today: 8
- Past Seven Days: 38
- All-Time: 31,944
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Legislative Branch
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Readiness and Management Support
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- African Affairs
- European Affairs
- International Operations and Organizations, Human Rights, Democracy, and Global Women's Issues
- Western Hemisphere and Global Narcotics Affairs
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.Res.500Referred to the Committee Jul 10, 2014 8 Views
A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate with respect to enhanced relations with the Republic of Moldova and support for the Republic o...
S.2565 - Helping Working Families Afford Child Care ActRead twice and referred Jul 08, 2014 16 Views
A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to enhance the dependent care tax credit, and for other purposes.
S.2543 - Supporting Afterschool STEM ActRead twice and referred Jun 26, 2014 13 Views
A bill to support afterschool and out-of-school-time science, technology, engineering, and mathematics programs, and for other purposes.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.498Referred to the Committee Jul 10, 2014 61 Views
A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate regarding United States support for the State of Israel as it defends itself against unprovoke...
S.2591Read twice and referred Jul 10, 2014 5 Views
A bill to authorize the Secretary of State and the Administrator of the United States Agency for International Development to provide assistan...
S.2578Read the second time Jul 10, 2014 22 Views
A bill to ensure that employers cannot interfere in their employees' birth control and other health care decisions.
Recent Voting History
On the Nomination PN1737: Shaun L. S. Donovan, of New York, to be Director of the Office of Management and BudgetAye (with party)July 10, 2014
S. 2363: Bipartisan Sportsmen's Act of 2014
On the Cloture Motion S. 2363Aye (with party)July 10, 2014
On the Nomination PN1736: Julian Castro, of Texas, to be Secretary of Housing and Urban DevelopmentAye (with party)July 09, 2014