Sen. Jeanne Shaheen
Democrat • New Hampshire • 1st Term • Sworn In 2009
- 39 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 23 of 100) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 4 of 100)
- 199 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 22 of 100) 2 Made Into Law (Ranks 13 of 100)
Jeanne Shaheen, the first woman Governor of the State of New Hampshire, as well as a former three-term State Senator, was "born in St. Charles, Missouri in 1947. She earned a B.A. in English from Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania in 1969 and a master's degree in political science from the University of Mississippi in 1973. She taught high school in Mississippi and New Hampshire and operated a small business. For years, Shaheen was very active with the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League. Her initial involvement in politics was in Jimmy Carter's 1976 and 1980 campaigns in the New Hampshire presidential primary. She managed Gary Hart's primary campaign in 1984. In 1980, she was elected to the first of three state senate terms."
Shaheen was "elected to the New Hampshire State Senate in 1990 and has focused her efforts on improving education, recognizing the state university and community-technical college systems, and creating the first state-sponsored industrial research center to increase employment opportunities in New Hampshire. Read More...
- Today: 11
- Past Seven Days: 38
- All-Time: 31,339
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Legislative Branch
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Readiness and Management Support
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- African Affairs
- European Affairs
- International Operations and Organizations, Human Rights, Democracy, and Global Women's Issues
- Western Hemisphere and Global Narcotics Affairs
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2138Read twice and referred Mar 13, 2014 3 Views
A bill to provide a payroll tax holiday for newly hired veterans.
S.2143Read twice and referred Mar 13, 2014 1 Views
A bill to increase access to capital for veteran entrepreneurs to help create jobs.
S.2107 - Simplifying Access to Student Loan Information Act of 2014Read twice and referred Mar 11, 2014 9 Views
A bill to increase students' and borrowers' access to student loan information within the National Student Loan Data System, and to encourage ...
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.384Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Mar 13, 2014 9 Views
A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate concerning the humanitarian crisis in Syria and neighboring countries, resulting humanitarian ...
S.Res.378Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Mar 11, 2014 23 Views
A resolution condemning illegal Russian aggression in Ukraine.
S.Res.377Resolution agreed to in Senate Mar 13, 2014 17 Views
A resolution recognizing the 193rd anniversary of the independence of Greece and celebrating democracy in Greece and the United States.
Recent Voting History
H.R. 3370: Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2013
On Passage of the Bill H.R. 3370Aye (with party)March 13, 2014
S. 1086: Child Care and Development Block Grant Act of 2014
On Passage of the Bill S. 1086Aye (with party)March 13, 2014
On the Nomination PN1179: Caroline Diane Krass, of the District of Columbia, to be General Counsel of the Central Intelligence AgencyAye (with party)March 13, 2014