Sen. Mark Begich
Democrat • Alaska • 1st Term • Sworn In 2009
- 85 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 2 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 29 of 100)
- 414 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 1 of 100) 6 Made Into Law (Ranks 4 of 100)
Begich was born in Anchorage, Alaska, on March 31, 1962, where he graduated from Steller Secondary School. He has taken courses from
the University of Alaska-Anchorage, but he has not received a degree. He married Deborah Bonito, former Chair of the Alaska Democratic party, in 1990, and they have one son, Jacob, born in 2002. Deborah and Mark Begich are co-owners of the Carson Hot Springs Resort in Carson City, Nevada. Begich also owns vending machine and property rental business. His father, Rep. Nick Begich, served one term in the U.S. House of Representatives. In 1972, a plane carrying Rep. Begich and Rep. Hale Boggs disappeared over the Gulf of Alaska.
- Today: 24
- Past Seven Days: 95
- All-Time: 45,343
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Communications, Technology, and the Internet
- Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
- Tourism, Competitiveness, and Innovation
- Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Emergency Management, Intergovernmental Relations, and the District of Columbia
- Financial and Contracting Oversight
- the Efficiency and Effectiveness of Federal Programs and the Federal Workforce
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2664Read twice and referred Jul 24, 2014 5 Views
A bill to amend the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to direct the Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency to modernize the inte...
S.2668Read twice and referred Jul 24, 2014 3 Views
A bill to amend the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act to provide further self-governance by Indian tribes, and for other ...
S.2665Read twice and referred Jul 24, 2014 1 Views
A bill to amend the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act to provide eligibility for broadcasting facilities to rece...
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.2673Introduced in the Senate Jul 28, 2014 4 Views
A bill to enhance the strategic partnership between the United States and Israel.
S.Res.519Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Jul 24, 2014 8 Views
A resolution designating August 16, 2014, as "National Airborne Day".
S.2663Read twice and referred Jul 24, 2014 9 Views
A bill to provide high-skilled visas for nationals of the Republic of Korea, and for other purposes.
Recent Voting History
On the Nomination PN1696: Pamela Harris, of Maryland, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Fourth CircuitAbstain (against party)July 28, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1696: Pamela Harris, of Maryland, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Fourth CircuitAye (with party)July 24, 2014
S. 2569: Bring Jobs Home Act
On the Cloture Motion S. 2569Aye (with party)July 23, 2014