Sen. Mark Begich
Democrat • Alaska • 1st Term • Sworn In 2009
- 80 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 2 of 99) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 29 of 99)
- 410 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 1 of 100) 6 Made Into Law (Ranks 4 of 100)
Begich was born in Anchorage, Alaska, on March 31, 1962, where he graduated from Steller Secondary School. He has taken courses from
the University of Alaska-Anchorage, but he has not received a degree. He married Deborah Bonito, former Chair of the Alaska Democratic party, in 1990, and they have one son, Jacob, born in 2002. Deborah and Mark Begich are co-owners of the Carson Hot Springs Resort in Carson City, Nevada. Begich also owns vending machine and property rental business. His father, Rep. Nick Begich, served one term in the U.S. House of Representatives. In 1972, a plane carrying Rep. Begich and Rep. Hale Boggs disappeared over the Gulf of Alaska.
- Today: 30
- Past Seven Days: 83
- All-Time: 45,278
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Communications, Technology, and the Internet
- Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
- Tourism, Competitiveness, and Innovation
- Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Emergency Management, Intergovernmental Relations, and the District of Columbia
- Financial and Contracting Oversight
- the Efficiency and Effectiveness of Federal Programs and the Federal Workforce
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2636Read twice and referred Jul 22, 2014 2 Views
A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to encourage charitable contributions of real property for conservation purposes by Native C...
S.2482 - North Pacific Fisheries Convention Implementation ActRead twice and referred Jun 17, 2014 1 Views
A bill to implement the Convention on the Conservation and Management of the High Seas Fisheries Resources in the North Pacific Ocean, as adop...
S.Res.475Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Jun 12, 2014 2 Views
A resolution congratulating the Alaska Aces hockey team on winning the 2014 Kelly Cup as champions of the East Coast Hockey League.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.2621Read twice and referred Jul 17, 2014 17 Views
A bill to amend the Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp Act to increase the price of Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamps ...
S.2625Sponsor introductory remarks on measure Jul 17, 2014 22 Views
A bill to establish certain duties for pharmacies to ensure provision of Food and Drug Administration-approved contraception, and for other pu...
S.2629 - Preventive Care Coverage Notification ActRead twice and referred Jul 17, 2014 29 Views
A bill to require employers to notify employees and prospective employees of exemptions from otherwise required coverage of health services un...
Recent Voting History
On the Nomination PN1516: John W. deGravelles, of Louisiana, to be United States District Judge for the Middle District of LouisianaAye (with party)July 22, 2014
On the Nomination PN1476: Robin L. Rosenberg, of Florida, to be United States District Judge for the Southern District of FloridaAye (with party)July 22, 2014
On the Nomination PN1551: Andre Birotte, Jr., of California, to be United States District Judge for the Central District of CaliforniaAye (with party)July 22, 2014