Sen. Mark Begich
Democrat • Alaska • 1st Term • Sworn In 2009
- 92 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 2 of 98) 1 Made Into Law (Ranks 12 of 98)
- 449 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 1 of 100) 6 Made Into Law (Ranks 24 of 100)
Begich was born in Anchorage, Alaska, on March 31, 1962, where he graduated from Steller Secondary School. He has taken courses from
the University of Alaska-Anchorage, but he has not received a degree. He married Deborah Bonito, former Chair of the Alaska Democratic party, in 1990, and they have one son, Jacob, born in 2002. Deborah and Mark Begich are co-owners of the Carson Hot Springs Resort in Carson City, Nevada. Begich also owns vending machine and property rental business. His father, Rep. Nick Begich, served one term in the U.S. House of Representatives. In 1972, a plane carrying Rep. Begich and Rep. Hale Boggs disappeared over the Gulf of Alaska.
- Today: 20
- Past Seven Days: 91
- All-Time: 47,006
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Communications, Technology, and the Internet
- Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
- Tourism, Competitiveness, and Innovation
- Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Emergency Management, Intergovernmental Relations, and the District of Columbia
- Financial and Contracting Oversight
- the Efficiency and Effectiveness of Federal Programs and the Federal Workforce
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2991 - Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Reauthorization Act of 2014Read twice and referred Dec 09, 2014 7 Views
A bill to amend the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act to promote sustainable conservation and management for the Nation...
S.2957 - Do Not Disturb Act of 2014Read twice and referred Nov 20, 2014 25 Views
A bill to limit the disturbance to American families caused by electioneering phone calls by expanding the National Do No Call Registry to inc...
S.2961 - Office of Planning for Future Intercity Transportation ActRead twice and referred Nov 20, 2014 2 Views
A bill to establish the Office of Planning for Future Intercity Transportation within the Office of the Secretary of Transportation.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.590Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Nov 20, 2014 8 Views
A resolution recognizing National Native American Heritage Month and celebrating the heritages and cultures of Native Americans and the contri...
S.2963Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar Dec 04, 2014 13 Views
A bill to remove a limitation on a prohibition relating to permits for discharges incidental to normal operation of vessels.
S.2945Read twice and referred Nov 19, 2014 3 Views
A bill to repeal section 910 of the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013.
Recent Voting History
On the Nomination PN1345: Stephen R. Bough, of Missouri, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of MissouriAye (with party)December 16, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1345: Stephen R. Bough, of Missouri, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of MissouriAye (with party)December 16, 2014
H.R. 5771: Tax Technical Corrections Act of 2014
On Passage of the Bill H.R. 5771Aye (with party)December 16, 2014