Sen. Mark Begich
Democrat • Alaska • 1st Term • Sworn In 2009
- 70 Sponsored Bills (Ranks 3 of 100) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks 23 of 100)
- 346 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks 1 of 100) 4 Made Into Law (Ranks 4 of 100)
Begich was born in Anchorage, Alaska, on March 31, 1962, where he graduated from Steller Secondary School. He has taken courses from
the University of Alaska-Anchorage, but he has not received a degree. He married Deborah Bonito, former Chair of the Alaska Democratic party, in 1990, and they have one son, Jacob, born in 2002. Deborah and Mark Begich are co-owners of the Carson Hot Springs Resort in Carson City, Nevada. Begich also owns vending machine and property rental business. His father, Rep. Nick Begich, served one term in the U.S. House of Representatives. In 1972, a plane carrying Rep. Begich and Rep. Hale Boggs disappeared over the Gulf of Alaska.
- Today: 32
- Past Seven Days: 173
- All-Time: 44,443
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Legislative Branch
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Communications, Technology, and the Internet
- Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
- Tourism, Competitiveness, and Innovation
- Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Emergency Management, Intergovernmental Relations, and the District of Columbia
- Financial and Contracting Oversight
- the Efficiency and Effectiveness of Federal Programs and the Federal Workforce
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Most Recent Sponsored Bills
S.2241 - Drug-Free Playgrounds Safety Enhancement Act of 2014Read twice and referred Apr 10, 2014 32 Views
A bill to enhance the safety of drug-free playgrounds.
S.2246Read twice and referred Apr 10, 2014 6 Views
A bill to amend the District of Columbia Home Rule Act to permit the Government of the District of Columbia to determine the fiscal year perio...
S.2245Read twice and referred Apr 10, 2014 9 Views
A bill to amend the District of Columbia Home Rule Act to streamline the District's legislative process and conserve taxpayer dollars.
Most Recent Co-Sponsored Bills
S.Res.423Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed Apr 11, 2014 66 Views
A resolution designating April 2014 as "Financial Literacy Month".
S.2250Read twice and referred Apr 10, 2014 25 Views
A bill to extend the Travel Promotion Act of 2009, and for other purposes.
S.2223 - Minimum Wage Fairness ActMotion to proceed to consideration Apr 10, 2014 64 Views
A bill to provide for an increase in the Federal minimum wage and to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to extend increased expensing lim...
Recent Voting History
On the Motion for Attendance PN1182: Michelle T. Friedland, of California, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth CircuitAye (with party)April 10, 2014
On the Cloture Motion PN1182: Michelle T. Friedland, of California, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth CircuitAye (with party)April 10, 2014
On the Nomination PN1063: Terrell McSweeny, of the District of Columbia, to be a Federal Trade Commissioner for the unexpired term of seven years from September 26, 2010Aye (with party)April 09, 2014