From OpenCongress Wiki
|This profile of a former 2008 candidate for California's U.S. congressional district 24 is part of the "Wiki the Vote" project.|
|See all the California members of Congress, candidates and blogs at the California portal.|
Mary Pallant is a former Democratic candidate in the 2008 congressional elections for the 24th Congressional District (map) of California. She was seeking the Democratic nomination to challenge incumbent Rep. Elton Gallegly (R-Calif.) but lost to Marta Ann Jorgensen (D) in the June 2008 primaries.
Positions, record and controversies
Pallant's campaign focuses on the following issues:
- Ending the occupation of Iraq. Pallant wants all bases closed and turned over to the Iraqi government and the rebuilding efforts turned over to the people of Iraq. In addition, adequate funds set aside to rebuild what has been destroyed while calling upon the neighboring countries to be engaged and involved members of the rehabilitation process to stabilize, revitalize, and formalize Iraq and it's political structure.
- Reinvesting money in U.S. infrastructure to address the U.S. economy, jobs, and schools.
- Single payer, publically funding-privately run, Universal Health Care.
- Developing alternative energy and independence, including clean air and green collar jobs.
Pallant endorses the Responsible Plan to End the War in Iraq, which includes the following actions:
- End U.S. military action in Iraq.
- Use U.S. diplomatic power.
- Address humanitarian concerns.
- Restore our Constitution.
- Restore our Military.
- Restore independence to the media.
- Creat a new, U.S.-centered energy policy.
Mary Pallant was raised in San Diego. She has four younger brothers. Her education includes an A.A. degree from LA Valley College, B.A. and M.A. in psychology from Antioch University. She is married to Andrew Pallant and has two children. She has been a small business owner for 10 years in the insurance industry.
Ventura County Speaker Series
Pallant is the founder and host of the Ventura County Speaker Series, which has brought notable speakers such as Gore Vidal, Thom Hartmann, John Rauh, Scott Ritter and Former Ambassador Joe Wilson to the Ventura County, California area. The intent of the Speaker Series has been to bring notable political forces to the area to enrich the minds of local residents with a venue that is easily accessible to the community and free.
Pallant's community work also includes the California Democratic Party 41st Assembly District Delegate, which she has held for the 2005-2007 term and currently for term 2007-2009. She is also an appointed Committee Member for the California Democratic Party, Organizational Development Committee. In her immediate local community, she is a Trustee of the Community Foundation of Oak Park.
Pallant's candidacy for Congress has been endorsed by groups such as Progressive Democrats of America, California Labor Federation AFL-CIO, California Nurses Association CNA, and International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace & Agricultural Implement Workers of America UAW.
Money in politics
Current Federal Election Committee information provides Pallant's campaign finances with respect to other candidates running in the district.
Committees and affiliations
Pallant will be assigned committees when she is elected to Congress.
Pallant is affiliated with the following organizations:
- California Democratic Party - Progressive Caucus
- California Democratic Party - Environmental Caucus
- California Democratic Party - Women's Caucus
- Nation Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare
- Nation Women's Political Caucus (NWPC)
- Sierra Club
- Several Democratic Clubs
More background data
Pallant's campaign may be contacted at: Mary Pallant For Congress, 638 Lindero Canyon #173, Oak Park, CA 91377. Phone (805) 665-8412 Her treasurer is the David H. Gould Company
Articles and resources
- 2008 U.S. congressional elections
- Portal:California and the U.S. Congress
- ↑ Official Mary Pallant for Congress website
- ↑ http://www.responsibleplan.com/plan Points of the Responsible Plan
- ↑ http://www.theacorn.com/news/2006/1102/Community/056.html Gore Vidal Ventura County Speaker Series
- ↑ http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6736085931783865070 Thom Hartmann, Air America Radio talk show host and author, on the middle class, democracy, free trade, conservatives and liberals Ventura County Speaker Series
- ↑ http://www.just6dollars.org Founder and President of Americans for Campaign Reform Ventura County Speaker Series
- ↑ http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/dennert/archives/2007/01/mary_pallant_pr.html Scott Ritter Former Marine Intelligence Officer and U.S. Weapons Inspector in Iraq Ventura County Speaker Series
- ↑ http://youtube.com/watch?v=krTjkGT1yNs Fmr. Amb. Joe Wilson Ventura County Speaker Series on Youtube.com Part 1
- ↑ 2008 Race Tracker page on California's 24th Congressional District<ref>[http://vote.sos.ca.gov/Returns/usrep/0459.htm California's official primary election results]</li> <li id="_note-8">[[#_ref-8|↑]] [http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G08/CA.phtml California’s primary election results according to the Green Papers]</li> <li id="_note-9">[[#_ref-9|↑]] http://www.marypallant.com/endorsements.html</li> <li id="_note-10">[[#_ref-10|↑]] [http://www.marypallant.com/bio.html Official Mary Pallant for Congress website]</li></ol></ref>
- Pallant's FEC filings
- 2008 Race Tracker page on California's 24th Congressional District
- Official Mary Pallant for Congress website