Barack Obama: U.S. presidential election, 2008/domestic policy
From OpenCongress Wiki
| This article is part of the|
SourceWatch and Congresspedia coverage
of Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and
the 2008 presidential election
|Democratic ticket "top tier"|
On March 31, 2007, while speaking in Council Bluffs, Iowa, Obama said "it will be difficult to make progress on important domestic issues until the Iraq war has ended. ... None of these things we are going to be able to do effectively until we bring this war in Iraq to a close."
"'As for Barack Obama,' stated Imperato [of i1connect news, April 3, 2007], 'it proves that he doesn't have the ability to multitask. He didn't feel that we could straighten out healthcare, immigration, foreign debt, social security, and our $9 trillion deficit because he felt that Iraq had to be solved first. Just think if Iraq never ends then America will die because he admitted it himself that he can't accomplish anything domestically until Iraq comes to an end. This shows his inability to be a leader of a country on local, national, and global basis.'" The other perspective of this would be America tax money is tied up in the Iraq war besides the "distraction" that to focus on domestic issue would be difficult.
- Paul Mirengoff, "A dilemma Barack Obama is unlikely to address," Power Line Blog, May 14, 2007.
- Eugene Robinson, "Obama opens debate on affirmative action," Washington Post (San Francisco Chronicle; Truthdig), May 15, 2007.
- Beth Fouhy, "Clinton Says Economy Needs Experience," Associated Press (TIME), November 19, 2007.
- Marc Ambinder, "Clinton's Economic Turn," The Atlantic, December 6, 2007.
- "Obama to announce college loan proposal today," Associated Press (WQAD.com), May 15, 2007.
- James W. Pindell, "Obama unviels $18B education plan, goes after Edwards and Clinton," Boston Globe, November 20, 2007.
- Mark Halperin, "Edwards Campaign’s Response to Obama Education Plan," The Page Blog/TIME, November 20, 2007.
- Mike Dorning, "Obama: Clinton and Edwards left the money behind," The Swamp Blog/Chicago Tribune, November 20, 2007.
- David Roberts, "Barack Obama is not serious about global warming," Grist Mill, May 11, 2007.
- Press Release: "Clinton Campaign: Hillary Clinton outlines vision for America’s farmers & rural communities," HillaryClinton.com (Iowa Politics), December 13, 2007.
- Press Release: "Sen Obama Campaign Unveils Rural Agenda," NHInsider.com, February 14, 2007.
- Taylor Marsh, "Decoding Obama," TaylorMarsh.com, December 4, 2007.
Labor and unions
- Christi Parsons, "Obama doesn't toe line at labor forum. Some members give him credit for candor," Chicago Tribune, May 15, 2007.
- Lynn Sweet, "Obama clear: He's pro-union," Chicago Sun-Times, May 15, 2007.
- Paul Street, "Obama’s Forgotten Wal-Mart Endorsement: Putting Workers Second and Going Along to Get Elected," ZMag, August 28, 2007.
- "Obama, Edwards Focus on Poverty," Associated Press (New York Times), July 18, 2007.
- "Obama, Edwards focus on the poor," USA TODAY, July 18, 2007.
- Alec MacGillis, "Obama Says He, Too, Is a Poverty Fighter. In D.C., He Offers Contrast With Edwards," Washington Post, July 19, 2007.
- Lynn Sweet, "Everybody loves Bobby. 2008 RACE | Obama and Edwards vie for Kennedy's legacy," Chicago Sun-Times, July 19, 2007.
- Justin Miller, "The Daily 2008," The Real Clear Politics Blog, July 19, 2007.
- "Obama Brushes Against The Third Rail," The Hotline Blog On Call / National Journal, May 14, 2007.
- "Obama: Clinton 'dodging' Social Security," Associated Press/CNN, October 27, 2007.
- Jeff Dinelli, "Obama Says Hillary Ducking.....Social Security???" The Left Coaster, October 29, 2007.
- Matt Stoller, "Paul Krugman Guts Obama on Social Security," Open Left, October 29, 2007.
- kos, "Gays, social security, and the loss of a real choice this primary," The Daily Kos, October 29, 2007.
- Jeralyn Merritt, "Obama, Hillary and Social Security," Talk Left, October 29, 2007.
- David Folkenflik, "Clinton, Obama Spar over Social Security in Ads," NPR, November 2, 2007.
- Linda Douglass, Transcript: "Barack Obama On Hillary, Iraq And More," National Journal On Air, November 8, 2007.
- "Obama Misrepresents Hillary's Views On Social Security," The Fact Hub/Hillary Hub, November 8, 2007. Also see "Barack Obama’s Social Insecurity," Hillary is 44.org, September 20, 2007, and "Is Barack Obama A Closeted Ripublican," Hillary is 44.org, October 29, 2007.
- Jonathan Singer, "Extremely Disappointing Language from Obama on Social Security," MyDD, November 9, 2007.
- Taylor Marsh, "Social Security is Not in 'Crisis'," TaylorMarsh.com, November 10, 2007.
- Paul Krugman, "Why, Barack, why?" New York Times, November 11, 2007.
- Dave Johnson, "Senator Obama, Please Stop Echoing Right-Wing Lies About Social Security!" The Huffington Post, November 11, 2007.
- Big Tent Democrat, "Obama on MTP: The Third Rail," Talk Left, November 11, 2007.
- "Barry Obama's Bad Judgement," Anglachelg Blogspot, November 12, 2007.
- Eric Kleefeld, "Obama Endorses Changes To Social Security Tax Cap," TPMElectionCentral, November 12, 2007.
- eriposte, "A Short History of Recent U.S. Presidential Politics - Part 3: Bringing Honesty and Integrity Back to the White House," The Left Coaster, November 14, 2007.
- Ed Kilgore, "The Left's Obama Problem," TPM Cafe, November 15, 2007.
- "Sen. Obama's Shifting Stance on Social Security," The Fact Hub/Hillary Hub, November 15, 2007.
- Paul Krugman, "Played for a Sucker," New York Times, November 16, 2007.
- Big Tent Democrat, "The Problem With Obama: Axelrod Edition," Talk Left, November 23, 2007.
- "Mr. Obama, Take Down that Ad," HillaryIs44, December 3, 2007.
- eriposte, "A Short History of Recent U.S. Presidential Politics - Part 7: Campaign By The Textbook That Robert Reich Hasn't Read," The Left Coaster, December 4, 2007.
American Dream Agenda
Example of why helping the big business doesn't work is a brand name shoe company outsourcing their work overseas to save on labor cost yet the cost of the product continues to cost the same as before the outsourcing. Where do you think the extra profit went to? Perhaps the CEO????? Thanks for not passing it down to American Main Street.
- Edward Luce, "Obama makes ‘dream’ pitch to middle class," Financial Times, November 7, 2007: "However, there was very little in Mr Obama’s proposals that marked him out from his competitors, including the title of his speech, which has been a staple among political candidates for many years."
- Mike Glover, "Obama Plan Focuses on Credit, Colleges," Associated Press (Washington Post), November 7, 2007.
- Andy Barr, "Obama unveils sweeping middle-class relief plan," The Hill, November 7, 2007.
Related external articles
- Jeff Zeleny, "Obama Says He’d Roll Back Tax Cuts for the Wealthiest," New York Times, May 15, 2007.
- Mike Glover, "Obama: War hindering domestic policy," Associated Press (Boston Globe), March 31, 2007.
- Imperato, "Imperato on Hillary, Obama, and Giuliani press release,", i1connect news, April 3, 2007.
- Jonathan Stein, "Edwards Goes on the Attack. Target: Obama," MoJo Blog/MotherJones, April 4, 2007.
- Kathleen Gray, "Dingell fires back at Obama over fuel-efficiency jab," Detroit Free Press, May 14, 2007.
- Pam Spaulding, "Open thread - liveblogging the HRC/LOGO Visible Vote 08 Forum," AMERICAblog, August 9, 2007.
- Pam Spaulding, "Winners and losers at the HRC/LOGO VisibleVote08 forum," AMERICAblog, August 10, 2007.
- Jeremy Cameron Young, "A Historian Against Obama," History News Network, December 3, 2007.