From OpenCongress Wiki
|This profile of a 2008 Democratic superdelegate from California was part of the Superdelegate Transparency Project, a collaboration of LiteraryOutpost, OpenLeft, DemConWatch, HuffPost's OffTheBus and the Congresspedia community to build an open-source tally and informational resource on the 2008 Democratic superdelegates. (More about superdelegates.)|
|See all the California members of Congress, candidates and blogs at the California portal.|
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Charles Manatt is a superdelegate in the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination.
Ambassador Charles T. Manatt is co-chairman of ManattJones which "focuses on government policy, corporate practices and procedures, and the financial services sector. His current work primarily involves advising and counseling clients in the United States and in Latin America." 
"Ambassador Manatt provides strategic advice on corporate practices designed to enhance business efficiency, profitability and value. Through his extensive background in the international arena, he devotes substantial time to advising new-to-market companies on developing trade and investment opportunities and advising established enterprises on new or expanded business opportunities. He also works with associations on trade and investment initiatives designed to create long-term, sustainable market growth and opportunities.
"From 1999 to 2001, Ambassador Manatt served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Dominican Republic, where he was especially active on matters relating to election administration and support; business and commercial development, including CBI enhancement; and the criminal justice systems in the Dominican Republic and the United States. He also pioneered several efforts to develop and strengthen educational programs.
"Ambassador Manatt began his legal career focusing on banking and financial services and served as President of the California Bankers Association. He was the founder and chairman of First Los Angeles Bank. Ambassador Manatt also has extensive involvement in agricultural and livestock production matters.
"Ambassador Manatt's involvement in politics spans four decades. He served as the Chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1981 to 1985. He also served as Co-Chair of the 1992 Clinton/Gore campaign, and Chairman of the California/Southern California Democratic Party, the Western States Conference Democratic Party, the National Finance Council of the Democratic Party as well as California Democratic Party National Committeeman.
|This information was gathered by volunteer researchers as part of the Superdelegate Transparency Project on the superdelegates for the 2008 Democratic presidential primary. For more info see the California superdelegate tracker or visit the STP homepage.|
Money in politics
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Director, Smithsonian Museum of American History.
- Director, FedEx Corp.
- Director, Group M.
- Director, Meridian International, Washington, D.C.
- Director, National Legal Center for Public Policy.
- Director, Wesley Foundation.
- Director, National Capital Boy Scouts of America.
- Trustee, Oak Value Fund.
- Trustee, Mayo Clinic Foundation.
- Chairman, George Washington University Trustees.
- Advisory Member, Palladin Capital Fund.
- Director, GTE California (now Verizon), 1980-1993.
- Director, Federal Express, 1989-1999.
- Director, Comsat, 1995-1999.
- Former Director, Los Angeles Performing Arts Council.
- Former Chairman, Board of Counselors of the University of Southern California School of Public Administration.
- Former Member, Board of Governors of the UCLA Foundation.
- Former Chairman, Board of Governors of the Iowa State University Foundation.
- Former Chairman, Board of Visitors of the Duke University Public Policy School.
- Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and California, and before the United States Supreme Court.
- Member, American Bar Association, District of Columbia Bar Association, California State Bar Association, and the San Fernando Valley Bar Association.
- Chairman Emeritus of the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs
- Trustee of the Meridian International Center
- Director, National Legal Center for the Public Interest
- Director (1987 at least), Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions
- Former Board Member (1989), Center for Democracy
- Director, US Center for Citizen Diplomacy 
- Former Vice Chair (1992), National Endowment for Democracy 
Articles and resources
- Portal:Superdelegate Transparency Project
- U.S. presidential election, 2008
- Portal:2008 U.S. Congressional Elections
- ↑ Directors, U.S. Center for Citizen Diplomacy, accessed August 17, 2008.
- ↑ Strategy Document January 1992, NED, accessed February 23, 2009.
- DemConWatch - A very comprehensive list of superdelegates and known commitments. Please use this as a starting point and double check by doing a news search to make sure the data is accurate. If you have a tip, let them know.
- WashingtonPost.com - Web site with full listing of superdelegates broken out by state and then type.
Biography: Charles T. Manatt", accessed October 2006.