From OpenCongress Wiki
Gilbert William "Gil" Gutknecht, Jr. was a Republican member of the U. S. House of Representatives representing Minnesota's First Congressional District from 1995 to 2007. He was defeated in the 2006 congressional elections by Democrat Timothy Walz.
Gutknecht was born in Cedar Falls, Iowa on March 20, 1951. He graduated with a degree in business from the University of Northern Iowa. He was a member of the Minnesota House of Representatives from 1982 to 1994 before entering Congress. He has announced plans to run for re-election in 2006, despite a vow when first elected that he would never serve more than twelve years.
Gutknecht voted for the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 that started the Iraq War.
In 2006, Democrats nominated Timothy Walz to face Gutknecht in his November 2006 bid for reelection. (See U.S. congressional elections in 2006)  Walz defeated Gutknecht 53% to 47% to take possession of the seat. 
Meet the Cash Constituents
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Gil Gutknecht
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
Gutknecht pledged to serve no more than six terms in Congress during his initial campaign in 1994. He broke the pledge, however, when he opted to seek a seventh term in 2006. 
(See Congresspedia page on term limits in Congress)
Committees and Affiliations
Committees in the 109th Congress (2005-2006)
- House Committee on Agriculture
- Subcommittee on Specialty Crops and Foreign Agriculture Programs
- Subcommittee on Department Operations Oversight Dairy Nutrition and Forestry - Chair
- House Committee on Government Reform
- Subcommittee on Criminal Justice Drug Policy and Human Resources
- Subcommittee on Government Management Finance and Accountability
- House Committee on Science
- Subcommittee on Research
- Subcommittee on Environment Technology and Standards
Articles and Resources
- Jonathan Weisman and Anushka Asthana, "GOP Lawmakers Edge Away From Optimism on Iraq," Washington Post, July 20, 2006.
More Background Data
Local blogs and discussion sites
- Bluestem Prairie: News from Minnesota's First Congressional district
- Inside Minnesota Politics
- Minnesota Campaign Report
- MN Publius.com
District Office - Fairmont:
109 East Second Street
Fairmont, MN 56031
District Office - Rochester:
1530 Greenview Drive Southwest, Suite 108
Rochester, MN 55902