Iowa 2008 presidential primary and superdelegates
From OpenCongress Wiki
|This page is part of the Superdelegate Transparency Project, a collaboration of citizen journalists, LiteraryOutpost, OpenLeft, DemConWatch, HuffPost's OffTheBus and the Congresspedia community to build an open-source tally and informational resource on the 2008 Democratic superdelegates. (More about superdelegates.)|
|You can also find Iowa members of Congress, candidates and blogs at the Iowa portal.|
Democratic presidential primary
The Iowa Democratic presidential caucus took place on Jan. 3rd, 2008.
- See also the 2008 federal election calendar (U.S.) and the embeddable Google calendar of the presidential primary dates and the congressional primary dates.
This chart shows the delegates to the Democratic National Convention in August 2008, who will elect the Democratic nominee for president. Listed are "pledged delegates" - those who were elected through the state's caucuses or primaries - and the "superdelegates" - those who are delegates by virtue of their party or elected office.
Delegate allotments for At-Large and PL/EO delegate types are both based on statewide totals. Therefore, the statewide totals need only be listed in the 'At-Large' row
|Congressional District or Affiliation||Clinton Vote ||Obama Vote ||Other Vote ||Pledged Clinton ||Pledged Obama ||Superdelegate||Superdelegate Status||Agrees w/ voters?||Accepted Donation(s) From||Donation Amount|
|1||167||288||79||2||2 +2 ||Bruce Braley||Barack Obama||Yes||Both||$2,500 from Clinton & $14,000 from Obama|
|2||171||295||107||2||3 +2 ||Dave Loebsack||Barack Obama||Yes||Obama||$9,000|
|3||162||269||96||2 +1||2 +1 ||Leonard Boswell||Hillary Clinton||No||Both||$2,500 from Clinton & $19,000 from Obama|
|Dem. Governor||1||Chet Culver||Barack Obama||Yes||Clinton||$5,000|
|Dem. Senator||1||Tom Harkin||Barack Obama ||Yes||Both||$25 from Clinton & $10,000 from Obama|
|DNC||1||Scott Brennan||Barack Obama||Yes|
|DNC||1||Michael L. Fitzgerald||Barack Obama||Yes|
|DNC||1||Michael Gronstal||Hillary Clinton||No|
|DNC||1||Richard Machacek||Barack Obama||Yes|
|DNC||1||Sandy Opstvedt||Hillary Clinton||No|
|DNC||1||Sarah Swisher||Barack Obama||Yes|
|Add-On Unpledged||TBD 6/14/2008||
Delegates in the following two categories are pledged delegates
- "At-Large Pledged" delegates are pledged delegates and are apportioned according to the statewide popular vote.
- "PL/EO Pledged" delegates are also apportioned according to the statewide popular vote but are selected from a pool of party leaders and elected officials.
Delegates in the following five categories are all unpledged superdelegates
- "Dem. Governor" delegates are sitting Democratic governors.
- "Dem. Senator" delegates are sitting Democratic senators.
- "DNC" delegates are party officials.
- "Distinguished Party Member" delegates are former Democratic Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Speakers of the House, Minority or Majority leader of either house of Congress, Governors, or DNC Chairmen.
- "Add-On Unpledged" delegates are [To Be Determined].
You may use this list to confirm that the correct number of delegates and superdelegates are represented on the table.
Total number of delegates
Wobbler and leaner superdelegates
Articles and resources
- Portal:Superdelegate Transparency Project
- U.S. presidential election, 2008
- Portal:2008 U.S. Congressional Elections
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 "Iowa Caucus results," USA Today, accessed February 21, 2008. Updated with County Convention results reported by the Iowa Democratic Party 3/25/08.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 , The Green Papers, May 16, 2008
- ↑ "Aide says Iowa Congressman Bruce Braley to endorse Obama" Action 3 News, April 30, 2008
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 CapitaleEye.com, "Money to Superdelegates," Accessed March 25, 2008.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "Iowa Gov. Culver tells AP he will endorse Obama," Associated Press, provided by WHOtv.com, February 7, 2008.
- ↑ "Congressman Boswell Endorses Hillary Clinton," Hillary Clinton Campaign press release, December 14, 2007.
- ↑ Superdelegate Endorsement List, DemConWatch", June 4, 2008
- ↑ Brennan to endorse Obama, Chicago Tribune, May 20, 2008
- ↑ "Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller and State Treasurer Michael Fitzgerald Endorse Barack Obama for President," Barack Obama Campaign press release, February 11, 2007.
- ↑ O. Kay Henderson, "Iowa's 'Super' Delegates," Radio Iowa blog, February 6, 2008.
- ↑ Thomas Beaumont, "Iowa superdelegate to endorse Obama" DesMoines Register April 29, 2008
- ↑ "Iowa Labor Leaders Endorse Hillary for President," Clinton Campaign press release, December 22, 2007.
- ↑ Jesse J. Holland, "Service Employees Union Endorses Obama," Associated Press, provided by Google.com, February 15, 2008.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 "Obama Gains 14 More Delegates", Washington Post, March 16, 2008
- ↑ Obama Announces Support from Edwards Pledged Delegates, Barackobama.com, June 3, 2008
- DemConWatch - Best source for superdelegate endorsement info.
- USAToday Election Central - Probably the best resource for votes. Pledged PL/EOs and At-Large delegates are shown at the bottom.
- WashingtonPost.com - Adobe Acrobat document with full listing of superdelegates broken out by state and then type.
- CapitalEye - Lists campaign contributions in last cycle.
- PoliticalIndex.com - State political party links (the Washington Post link above should give complete information. However, if you need to follow up, try these links.
- Politico.com - politico.com's page showing superdelegate status. If you click on the '+' icon for any state/territory, the list will expand and show the commitments. WARNING - This should not be considered a valid source for updating the table. It is however useful as a reference for finding source material. For instance, you can use a Google's news search to confirm a superdelegate's status as it is shown on politico.com.
- PoliticalResources.com - Links to Secretary of State offices (for official election results).
- Wikipedia's page on superdelegates - This list may supplement the info available at DemConWatch. Watch out for unsourced information, though.