From OpenCongress Wiki
John Yarmuth (D)
|Leadership:||No leadership position|
|Committees:||House Committee on Budget, House Committee on Ways and Means|
|(subcommittees and past assignments)|
| Next election: Nov. 6, 2012
Primary challenge: No
Incumbent running: Yes
2012 candidates for KY-03
|Confirmed:||Brooks Wicker, John Yarmuth|
|Possible:||None so far|
|Out:||None so far|
|(more info & editing for KY-03)|
|John Yarmuth posts daily schedule information online.|
Record and controversies
|Click through the score to see the records of other members of Congress and full descriptions of the individual votes.
Want to see someone else's scorecard added to the list? You can do it!
For more information on environmental legislation, see the Energy and Environment Policy Portal
A 1969 graduate of Yale University, he worked as a legislative aide to U. S. Senator Marlow Cook from 1971 to 1975. Yarmuth is best known as the publisher of several alternative newspapers, the most notable of which, the Louisville Eccentric Observer, he founded in 1990 and sold in 2003. He has also been featured on several television debate programs. He and his wife Catherine have one son. 
Yarmuth, having been a long record of written positions, was expected to be a weak opponent for the seat of Rep. Anne Northup. The race, however, was markedly close. Yarmuth's anti-Iraq war positions forced Northup to join a small number of Republicans in calling for Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's resignation.
Yarmuth is against tax-cuts for the rich and supports a national universal health care plan.
Money in politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases. For specific controversies, see this article's record and controversies section.
|Top Contributors to during the 2008 Election Cycle|
|Donor||Amount (US Dollars)|
|Brown-Forman Corp||$ 21,900|
|Sonny's Franchise Co||$ 15,200|
|United Parcel Service||$ 15,000|
|Kindred Healthcare||$ 13,050|
|Ford Motor Co||$ 11,000|
|American Assn for Justice||$ 10,000|
|American Federation of Teachers||$ 10,000|
|Boilermakers Union||$ 10,000|
|Carpenters & Joiners Union||$ 10,000|
|General Electric||$ 10,000|
|Source: The Center for Responsive Politics' www.OpenSecrets.org site.|
Note: Contributions are not from the organizations themselves, but are rather from
the organization's PAC, employees or owners. Totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.
|Links to more campaign contribution information for John Yarmuth
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
- Revolving door profile for John Yarmuth from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- 2006 privately funded travel profile for John Yarmuth from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- Personal finance profile for John Yarmuth from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
Committees and Affiliations
- House Committee on Budget
- House Committee on Ways and Means
Committees in the 110th Congress (2007-2008)
- House Committee on Education and Labor
- Subcommittee on Higher Education, Lifelong Learning, and Competitiveness
- Subcommittee on Healthy Families and Communities
- House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
- Subcommittee on Information Policy, Census, and National Archives
- Subcommittee on National Security and International Relations
More Background Data
|On the Web|
Articles and Resources
- Yarmuth for Congress, official campaign site.
Local blogs and discussion sites
- Kathleen Hunter, "Polls Indicate Northup’s Grip on Ky. 3 Seat May Be Loosening," CQ Politics, October 23, 2006.
- Kay Stewart, "Yarmuth: Politics motivated foe's Rumsfeld stance," Courier-Journal, October 27, 2006.
- Dylan T. Lovan, "Ky. Republican in Toss-Up House Race," Associated Press', October 31, 2006.
- Jerry Skurnik, " Congressional Elections - Good for the Jews (and the Buddhists)," Room Eight, November 8, 2006.
Semantic data ()
|From the Sunlight Foundation API|
|Current Office: U.S. House of Representatives|
|Title: Rep||First name: John||Middle name: A.||Last name: Yarmuth|
|Party: D||State: KY||District:
03 District short: 3
|Currently in office? True|
|Phone: 202-225-5401||Fax: 202-225-5776||Website: http://yarmuth.house.gov||Webform email: http://yarmuth.house.gov/?sectionid=68|
|DC office: 403 Cannon House Office Building|
|Bioguide ID: Y000062||Votesmart ID: 58579||FEC ID: H6KY03124||Govtrack ID: 412211|
|CRP ID: N00028073||Eventful ID:||Old Sunlight ID:||Twitter ID: RepJohnYarmuth|
|OpenCongress Wiki URL: http://www.opencongress.org/wiki/John_Yarmuth||YouTubeID: http://youtube.com/RepJohnYarmuth||Senate class:|
|Entered manually within the Template:Politician|
|U.S. House of Representatives|
Ranking Member On:
Ranking Member On:
|First Elected to Current Office:
November 7, 2006
|First Took Current Office:
January 4, 2007
November 2, 2010
|Previous Political Work?
House Committee on Education and Labor, House Committee on Education and Labor/Subcommittee on Higher Education Lifelong Learning and Competitiveness, House Committee on Education and Labor/Subcommittee on Healthy Families and Communities, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform/Subcommittee on Information Policy Census and National Archives, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform/Subcommittee on National Security and Foreign Affairs
|Other Party Membership: Switched from Republican to Democratic Party (1985)|
Date of Birth: November 4, 1947
November 7, 2006