From OpenCongress Wiki
|This profile of a DEFEATED 2008 U.S. House candidate for Indiana's district 9 is part of the "Wiki the Vote" project.|
|See all the Indiana members of Congress, candidates and blogs at the Indiana portal.|
for the 9th Congressional District of Indiana.]]
Michael E. 'Mike' Sodrel, a Republican from Indiana, represented Indiana's 9th Congressional district from 2005 to 2007. He was defeated in the 2006 congressional elections by Rep. Baron Hill (D-Ind.). On May 6, 2008 he won the Republican nomination in that district, running unopposed.
Sodrel was born December 17, 1945 in Louisville, Kentucky, although he calls New Albany, Indiana home. He is married to Keta Sodrel and has two children.
Before being elected to Congress, Sodrel served in the Indiana National Guard from 1966-1973. He formerly owned a trucking, shipping and motor coach company, but has never held any other political office.
Sodrel, a self-made millionaire, campaigned on a platform of jobs, taxes and values, driving his own 18-wheeler on the campaign trail. He is considered a staunch party loyalist, and has spoken of his desire to permanently repeal the inheritance tax and the so-called marriage penalty.
In 2006, the Democrats nominated Baron Hill, and the Libertarian Party nominated Eric Schansberg to face Sodrel in his November 2006 bid for reelection. (See U.S. congressional elections in 2006)  Hill won the election 50%-46%-4% to retake the seat he had lost to Sodrel in 2004. 
On May 6, 2008 Sodrel won the Republican nomination by running unopposed.
Meet the Cash Constituents
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Mike Sodrel
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
Committees and Affiliations
Committees in the 109th Congress (2005-2006)
- House Committee on Agriculture
- Subcommittee on General Farm Commodities and Risk Management
- Subcommittee on Livestock and Horticulture
- House Committee on Armed Services
- House Committee on Science
- Subcommittee on Energy
- Subcommittee on Research
- House Committee on Small Business
- Subcommittee on Regulatory Reform and Oversight
- Subcommittee on Rural Enterprises Agriculture and Technology
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Highways Transit and Pipelines
- Subcommittee on Railroads
Coalitions and Caucuses
Boards and other Affiliations
- Member, American Legion
- Advisory Committee, Boys and Girls Club
- Chair, Boy Scouts Regional Council
- Board Member, Guerin Home for Abused Children
- President, Jeffersonville Rotary Club
- Executive Board Member, Junior Achievement of Kentuckiana
- National Federation of Independent Business
- Member, Southeast Christian Church
- Chair, Southern Indiana Chamber of Commerce
More Background Data
|On the Web|