From OpenCongress Wiki
Pedro Pierluisi (D)
|Leadership:||No leadership position|
|Committees:||House Committee on Education and Labor, House Committee on Natural Resources, House Committee on the Judiciary|
|(subcommittees and past assignments)|
| Next election: Nov. 6, 2012
2012 candidates for PR-AL
|Confirmed:||None so far|
|Possible:||None so far|
|Out:||None so far|
|(more info & editing for PR-AL)|
Pedro Pierluisi, a member of Puerto Rico's Partido Nuevo Progresista, represents the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico as the territory's Resident Commissioner in the United States House of Representatives.
Positions, record and controversies
Puerto Rican Statehood
Pierluisi is pro-statehood for Puerto Rico. He has said he will work to get Congress to pass a bill to create a referendum in Puerto Rico on the question of whether Puerto Ricans would prefer to keep their political status the way it is or would prefer to change it. He says his primary goal is to get 'state-like' treatment for Puerto Rico in federal programs. 
He says he will encourage growth in the private sector by reducing taxes on the working class and on corporations. He supports the National Enterprise Zones Bill, which will provide disadvantaged areas with additional incentives for economic development.
Pedro Pierluisi earned a J.D. at the George Washington University law school and was an aide in Washington to former Resident Commissioner Baltasar Corrada del Rio, who represented Puerto Rico in the 1980s. He was also Secretary of Justice for Puerto Rico from 1993 to 1996.
Money in Politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases. For specific controversies, see this article's record and controversies section.
|Top Contributors to during the 2008 Election Cycle|
|Donor||Amount (US Dollars)|
|Northwestern Selecta||$ 15,000|
|Coca-Cola Puerto Rico Bottlers||$ 10,400|
|Editorial Panamericana||$ 10,000|
|Gobierno De Pr||$ 9,200|
|Rc Solutions||$ 9,000|
|Diversified Strategies Cons||$ 7,800|
|Le Nouvelle Dspa||$ 6,372|
|O'Neill & Borges||$ 6,000|
|Carrion, Laffitte & Casellas||$ 5,500|
|Source: The Center for Responsive Politics' www.OpenSecrets.org site.|
Note: Contributions are not from the organizations themselves, but are rather from
the organization's PAC, employees or owners. Totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Pedro Pierluisi
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
- Revolving door profile for Pedro Pierluisi from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- 2006 privately funded travel profile for Pedro Pierluisi from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- Personal finance profile for Pedro Pierluisi from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
Committees and affiliations
- House Committee on Education and Labor
- House Committee on Natural Resources
- House Committee on the Judiciary
More background data
Articles and resources
- 2008 U.S. congressional elections
- Portal:Tennessee and the U.S. Congress
- ↑ Jordy Yager, "Bill gives hope to Puerto Rico proponents", The Hill, March 9, 2009.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "On our way to a Progressive Economy", Pierluisi 2008 Web site. Accessed March 30, 2009.
- ↑ Marc Rehmann, "111th House Freshmen: Pedro Pierluisi, D-Puerto Rico (AL)", CQ Politics, November 5, 2008.
- ↑ Green Papers: Puerto Rico's Resident Commissioner Candidates
- ↑ Official Pierluisi for Resident Commissioner campaign website
- ↑ "Peurto Rico 2008 General Election", TheGreenPapers.com, November 4, 2008
- Green Papers: Puerto Rico's Resident Commissioner Candidates
- Official Pierluisi for Resident Commissioner campaign website
Semantic data ()
|From the Sunlight Foundation API|
|Current Office: U.S. House of Representatives|
|Title: Com||First name: Pedro||Middle name: R.||Last name: Pierluisi|
|Party: D||State: PR||District:
AL District short: 0
|Currently in office? True|
|Phone: 202-225-2615||Fax: 202-225-2154||Website: http://pierluisi.house.gov||Webform email: http://pierluisi.house.gov/contact/email-me|
|DC office: 1213 Longworth House Office Building|
|Bioguide ID: P000596||Votesmart ID: 110894||FEC ID: H8PR00062||Govtrack ID: 412306|
|CRP ID: N00029168||Eventful ID:||Old Sunlight ID:||Twitter ID: PedroPierluisi|
|OpenCongress Wiki URL: http://www.opencongress.org/wiki/Pedro_Pierluisi||YouTubeID: http://youtube.com/PierluisiCongress||Senate class:|
|Entered manually within the Template:Politician|
|U.S. House of Representatives|
Ranking Member On:
Ranking Member On:
|First Elected to Current Office:
November 4, 2008
|First Took Current Office:
January 3, 2009
November 2, 2010
|Previous Political Work?
Puerto Rico Department of Justice
|Other Party Membership: Partido Nuevo Progresista|
Date of Birth: April 26, 1959
November 4, 2008