Senate Committee on Indian Affairs

From OpenCongress Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search

The Senate Committee on Indian Affairs is responsible for dealing with matters related to the American Indian, Native Hawaiian, and Alaska Native peoples. A Committee on Indian Affairs existed from 1820 to 1947, but in the latter year it was folded into the Committee on Interior and Insular Affairs. A new Indian Affairs Committee was created in 1977, initially as a Select Committee, as a result of the detachment of indigenous affairs from the new Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, which had succeeded the old Committee on Interior and Insular Affairs. The committee, which was initially intended to be temporary but was made permanent in 1984, tends to attract Senators from Western states, who have more Indian constituents.



Byron L. DorganDMD
Daniel K. InouyeDHI
Kent ConradDND
Daniel AkakaDHI
Tim JohnsonDSD
Maria CantwellDWA
Jon TesterDMT
Tom UdallDNM
John BarrassoRWY
John McCainRAZ
Tom CoburnROK
Lisa MurkowskiRAK
Mike CrapoRID
Mike JohannsRNE

Previous committee membership

110th Congress (2007-2008)

Members of the
Senate Committee on Indian Affairs,
110th Congress
Democrats: Republicans:

109th Congress (2005-2006)

Members of the
Senate Committee on Indian Affairs,
109th Congress
Democrats: Republicans:

Committee activity

Abramoff scandal

On June 26, 2007, J. Steven Griles, a former Department of the Interior official who pleaded guilty to lying under oath to the Senate Indian Affairs Committee in March 2007, was sentenced to 10 months in prison. Griles lied regarding the access and influence he had given to Jack Abramoff on Indian casino issues.[1]

Articles and Resources

Wikipedia also has an article on Senate Committee on Indian Affairs. This article may use content from the Wikipedia article under the terms of the GFDL.


  1. Mike Soraghan, "Griles gets 10 months in prison," The Hill, June 26, 2007.

External articles

External resources

Contact information

Committee Web site

  • Staff office - (202) 224-2251