From OpenCongress Wiki
Sue W. Kelly was a Republican member of the the U.S. House of Representatives representing New York's 19th Congressional district from 1995 to 2007. She was defeated in the 2006 congressional elections by Rep. John Hall (D-N.Y.).
Kelly was born September 26, 1936 in Lima, Ohio. She graduated from Denison University and worked as a patient advocate and an educator in New York State. Before her election to Congress, she was a Campaign and District aid for Congressman Hamilton Fish Jr., and was a campaign manager for Jon Fossel's State Assembly campaign.
When Congressman Hamilton Fish, Jr. decided not to seek re-election in 1994, Kelly decided to run.
Politicsny.com rates her as "poor" among the New York congressional delegation, suggesting she is "famously ineffective." ; However, in 2004 Kelly won re-election with 70% of the vote in New York's 19th Congressional district.
In 2006, the Democrats nominated John Hall to face Kelly in her November 2006 bid for reelection. (See U.S. congressional elections in 2006)  Hall defeated Kelly 51%-49% to take possession of the seat.
Meet the Cash Constituents
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Sue Kelly
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2008 election cycle||Career totals|
Committees and Affiliations
Committees in the 109th Congress (2005-2006)
- House Committee on Financial Services
- Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit
- Subcommittee on Capital Markets Insurance and Government Sponsored Enterprises
- Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations - Chair
- House Committee on Small Business
- Subcommittee on Regulatory Reform and Oversight
- Subcommittee on Tax Finance and Exports
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Aviation
- Subcommittee on Highways Transit and Pipelines
- Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment
Coalitions and Caucuses
- Republican Majority For Choice
- Republicans For Choice
- The Wish List
- The Republican Main Street Partnership
- Republicans For Environmental Protection
More Background Data
Articles and Resources
- Gur, "The Phattest Bubble You've Ever Seen?", Room Eight, May 12, 2006.
- Congressional Wire, "Megabux: Mo Money, Mo Problems?", Room Eight, June 30, 2006.
- Gur, "What Part Of "You Will Pimp My Pay to $168K" Did You Not Understand?", Room Eight, June 30, 2006.
- Congressional Wire, "Earth to Congress - Come In!", Room Eight, July 11, 2006.
- Gur, "Why Bother?", Room Eight, July 12, 2006.
- Jiji Lee, "Piquing Sue's Interests", Room Eight, August 30, 2006.
- Susan Elan, "Page scandal reaches U.S. Rep. Sue Kelly," The Journal News (NY), October 5, 2006. re Mark Foley page scandal
- Ben Smith, "500G sinks a stalwart. Angry gay man's revenge," New York Daily News, November 12, 2006.
Local blogs and discussion sites
District Office- Fishkill:
21 Old Main Street, Room 107
Fishkill, NY 12524
District Office- Goshen:
Orange County Government Center
255 Main Street, Third Floor
Goshen, NY 10924
District Office- Mahopac:
Carmel Town Hall
60 McAlpin Avenue
Mahopac, NY 10541
District Office- Port Jervis:
Port Jervis City Hall
14-20 Hammond Street
Port Jervis, NY 12771
District Office- Stony Point:
Stony Point Town Hall
74 East Main Street
Stony Point, NY 10980
District Office- Yorktown Heights:
2025 Crompond Road
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598