Congress LinksSeptember 4, 2009 - by Donny Shaw
The House and Senate come back on Tuesday for what will likely be a historic session on healthcare reform, financial regulation and more. See you then… and have a great Labor Day weekend!
- The unemployment rate rose to 9.7% last month The Caucus).
- Baucus says the Senate Finance healthcare bill is coming soon (New York Times).
- The “gang of six” is back to having productive talks (First Read).
- The White House is now drafting their own version of healthcare legislation (CNN).
- CAP has put out a calculator based on the House healthcare bill – what’s in it for you? (Center for American Progress).
- Health Bills Might Not Protect Some Needy Americans, Experts Say (Kaiser Health News).
- House Dems are getting ready to introduce a repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (Glenn Thrush).
- Majority Whip James Clyburn says “half a loaf” on health care is good enough (McClatchy).
- In light of all the Van Jones talk in the news, here’s H.R. 3226, the Czar Reform and Accountability Act of 2009 (OpenCongress).
- Sen. Bond urges congressional hearing on White House Green Jobs Advisor Van Jones (Kit Bond).
- Video: Al Franken calms the mob, sparks healthcare discussion (TPM).
- Rep. Weiner says the public option will die unless Obama pushes it in his speech to Congress (Washington Independent).
- Sen. Nelson says including a public option would cause health care reform to “implode”(Plum Line).
- Labor cracks on the public option (George’s Bottom Line).
- Big win for transparency: Obama will voluntarily release visitor access records (Sunlight Foundation).
- This week’s Sunday show line-up (TPM DC).