OpenCongress Blog

Blog Feed Comments Feed More RSS Feeds

Obama-GOP Tax Bill Set to Pass the House Today

December 16, 2010 - by Donny Shaw

UPDATE 4: After more than 6 hours of delay, the Democrats passed a slightly revised rule by a 214-201 vote. The new rule doesn’t change how many or which amendments will be voted on, it just allows for a separate up-or-down vote on the bill even if the estate tax amendment passes. The original rule would have deemed the bill passed once the amendment is passed.

UPDATE 3: TPM:

As long as they’re being set up to fail, progressives want that measure to include a whole range of changes to the bill.

“The problem with the Rule [which provides the blueprint for debate] was that it did not allow members who were opposed to it in broader ways than just the estate tax to have an opportunity to vote against [those issues],” Rep. Chaka Fattah (D-PA), who supports Obama’s plan, told me in a brief interview. “You had an opportunity to amend the estate provision, but not [extensions for] the millionaire, billionaire side.”

The likely vehicle for these bigger changes was introduced to the Rules Committee last night by Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY). It includes the estate tax, but would also swap out the payroll tax holiday with a renewal of the Making Work Pay tax credit, and provide a cost of living adjustment for seniors on Social Security, among other things.

These are positions most Democrats are already on the record voting for. So why grind the House to a halt to do it all over again? “This is the last opportunity we have,” said Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR). “And yeah, we’re on record voting on a whole bunch of things at a time when people weren’t paying attention. People are paying attention now.”

UPDATE 2: Swampland: “Progressives are demanding a clean vote up or down on the original package — unamended — so they can register their opposition.”

UPDATE: House leadership has pulled the rule from the floor. The votes must not be there to proceed to debate allowing one amendment vote. It’s unclear right now whether the rule will be amended to allow no amendments, more votes on amendments that satisfy Dems, or votes on amendments favored by Republicans. Either way, this is likely a temporary setback and things are probably still on track for passage.

Original post below. I’ll be rolling updates on this post, so check back again shortly for more (and follow along on Twitter)…

The House Rules Committee met last night to hammer out the rule that will govern today’s House debate of the Obama-GOP tax bill, and, as expected, they’re protecting it by allowing only one amendment vote. There will be no votes on letting the upper-income tax rates expire, making the payroll tax provision less regressive, lengthening the unemployment insurance filing extension, or adding an extra tier of benefits for the 99ers. The only vote allowed will be on an amendment to raise the estate tax from the Senate’s very low level to the almost-as-low 2009 level as set by Bush, and House leaders are whipping against this because they don’t want to have to send the bill back to the Senate.

Despite the Democrats nearly unanimous internal caucus vote last week that they oppose the Obama-GOP deal, the Democratic establishment from Obama on down is doing everything they can to ram this through. According to Rep. Pete DeFazio [D, OR-4], Obama has been calling up House Dems to warn that failing to pass the bill would mean the end of his presidency.

The voting will go down later this afternoon, around 5 p.m., and the most likely scenario is that the estate tax amendment is rejected and the underlying bill is passed with almost all Republicans voting “yes” along with a few dozen Blue Dogs and New Dems. If the Democrats manage to stick together on the estate tax amendment and pass it, the bill will have to be sent back to the Senate for follow-up action. Senate Republicans have vowed to reject any changes to the Bush tax cuts provisions, including the estate tax deal, so this is the only possibility for things to get tripped up. But it’s not likely to happen. According to The Hill, “House leadership aides said privately they doubted the Pomeroy proposal [i.e. the estate tax amendment] would pass, given the pledges by Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats to oppose the change.”

Like this post? Stay in touch by following us on Twitter, joining us on Facebook, or by Subscribing with RSS.

Comments

• mikes1lakerfan 12/16/2010 7:30am

If there’s anything that I have learned about unemployment & congress is that if there is any possible way either party can block or delay a bill for whatever reason they have they will!!

• Abaratarrr 12/16/2010 8:59am

get ready Washington, this is just the tip of the ice burg, people are desperate and have nothing to loose, please provide more weeks of benefits for the long term unemployed. This bill does not help the long term unemployed, Obama lied to the nation when he said that the bill extends unemployment for 13 months, the bill just extends the deadline to sign up for the current benefits, it provides no new weeks, this is why this man is dead.

This is an interview with the wife of the 99er in Florida who’s life ended too soon. I hope that she will be OK

Contact Nancy Pelosi today (202) 225-4965 or AmericanVoices@mail.house.gov, more benefits for the long term unemployed is entirely up to her at this point, let her know that the 13 month extension proposed by Obama does nothing for the long term unemployed.

• seanurse 12/16/2010 9:26am

AT THIS POINT I KIND OF HOPE THE BILL DOESN’T PASS. I THINK WE WOULD GET MORE ATTENTION FOR THE 99ERS THAT WAY. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE CONGRESS STAY THERE AND WORK HARD FOR ONCE. I THINK THEY CAN DO A BETTER JOB IF NOT RUSHED BY THE PRESIDENT. PLUS NOW WE KNOW THAT THE PRESIDENT CAN MAKE ADIFFERANCE IN ABILL GETTING PASSED SO WE SHOULD START AIMING THE LETTERS AND CALLS TO HIM AND HIS STAFF. I ALSO BELIEVE THAT BY IT NOT PASSING IT WILL WAKE UP SOME UNEMPLOYED TO SEE THAT IT DOESN’T HELP THEM OR US. WE WILL ALL BE 99ERS NOW IF IT DOESN’T PASS.

csharie 12/16/2010 9:49am

I understand that you are a 99er but your a hater. Why would you wish that the bill does not pass so that everyone can go through what the 99er’s are going through. That’s why your in the situation your in now because your hoping for everyone to be in bad situation like you. You know what i hope they do extend the extension for everyone including the 99er’s except for you.

seanurse 12/16/2010 11:58am

csharie, your new hear and don’t know me. so please don’t call me a hater. I have not wished anyone harm. i just believe this bill needs more than a rushed two days of talks. lets make it right for all americans not the rich few. I have been a99er since october. I have also been blogging hear for over two years. I have really learned a lot about our goverment and how things have gotten as bad as they are. I can at least say that i have made it my mission to tell americans to pay more attention to congress and why. I have gotton all three of my young adult children involved and made them aware. The problem is this country has gotton lazy in the way we monitor the events of our goverment. I was there too before all this started with unemployment. so i am just as guilty. I have changed and i hope you can too. good luck and god bless us everyone. Have a great and blessed day.

tinklietoes 12/16/2010 12:28pm

We’re all going to feel that we aren’t being treated fairly. I’m not a 99er yet, I should be entitled to collect the same 99 weeks as the other 99ers did. However, if the extension on the deadline doesn’t pass, it seems to me that the republicans will end up with the upper hand and there will be no hope for the 99ers at all. I could be included in as one of the 99er’s soon. I can see people are becoming desperate, there are more suicides, bank robberies and home envasions. Things will get worse if something isn’t done for all unemployed americans, including the 99ers. If our government stopped sending money overseas to help other countries, we wouldn’t have this chaos. I’m all for what’s is needed to support our overseas troops. But alot of money has gone overseas, and if we can’t help our people here and troops, we shouldn’t be helping other countries. Once the U.S. is on it’s feet, then fine, but I dont see that happening for quite a while. Especially the way things have been going.

jack2498 12/16/2010 1:20pm

Hello seanurse

I’m hoping you can help,I have collected 81 weeks, since may 09.I had 4 tiers and am now finished collecting my state EB.One of my tiers ran out of money however it’s experation date is April 30th 2011,which then would put me at 99 weeks,if this passes where do I fall in all of this,I would really appreciate the help,our employment office can’t even answer my questions.Any insight? Thanks

seanurse 12/16/2010 1:39pm
    Hello jack2498, i’m from illinois so each state is different. some tiers have different amounts of weeks in them . My tier 3 ran out of money and my checks were never recouped. I am imagining that if you have gotten eb that is usually the last 20 weeks you can get. so I am assuming you may be a99er now if you have finished eb. Best way i could tell if I was getting paid was to call teleserve and see if you have a balance remaining on your account. i believe it was 3 on teleserve. It will tell you just go past the one for certifying for benefits. good luck and god bless.
    shellbello2 12/16/2010 7:36pm

I was wondering if u coould help me. i have been on unemployment since feb 12, 2009. I have used up to 84 weeks of the 99 week that we can have. do you think that i would get another tier of unemployment if the tax and unemployment bill gets pasted or would i me considered a 99er. i have tried to get a job everywhere in the area where i live and if i dont get another tier i may lose my home. i am 21 years old and i am about to lose my home.

530i 12/16/2010 10:13am

As I’m sure you know, this bill does nothing for 99ers – except for the possibility that not increasing taxes will cause some economic stimulation. But I’m not aware of anyone predicting a 2 year extension of current tax rates will inspire anyone to invest and grow their businesses (specifically small business that employ most people). The bill increases our deficit/debt, so overall, the bill stinks, and I wish there was something better (i.e. some budget cuts to pay for the benefit extensions, and 5th tier benefits, and more thoughtful tax rates to stimulate small business growth).

However, not passing will probably have a negative effect on economic growth. An cause even more people to lose their homes when their state benefits run out, which would further depress the housing market, putting more people under water on their mortgages…

• njvixen 12/16/2010 1:41pm

So does this mean that us 99ers are S.O.L.? I’m confused wqith the whole “rule” thing going on.

• seanurse 12/16/2010 1:42pm

THIS IS GOING TO BE ALONG NIGHT. THEY ARE GOING TO DEBATE FOR ANOTHER 3 HOURS ON THE BILL AND THEN VOTE ON AMMENDMENTS. LETS HOPE THEY CAN ADD 3706 TO IT SOMEWHERE. HERE’S HOPING AND I’LL BE BACK LATER.

• crohr 12/16/2010 3:44pm

The government is spending money it doesn’t have this in turn causes economic insecurity, instability and forces companies to close and lay off employees. Current employers are paying ever increasing unemployment insurance rates. This in turn makes them not hire more workers because it’s just too expensive. So what is the government’s answer? Spend more money that we don’t have and exacerbate the problem never fixing the environment. It is a vicious cycle and the answers aren’t as easy as saying just give us 13 more weeks, 13 months, or 6,000 months. It doesn’t matter what they give it won’t be enough because the cancer is the spending. Understanding that this is the problem still doesn’t get people back to work or provide any unemployed individual food or even piece of mind. This president has done everything within his power to stifle economic growth and this is the product, an every growing spending/dependency cycle that we may not recover from. Please, Government is not the answer!

• seanurse 12/16/2010 4:05pm

THANK TO SENATOR LEE A DEMOCRAT FROM TEXAS. SHE IS STILL FIGHTING FOR THE 99ERS. SHE JUST MENTIONED US AGAIN IN THE FLOOR DEBATE . THANK YOU FOR GIVING US A VOICE IN THE HOUSE. MAY GOD BLESS YOU THIS HOLIDAY SEASON.

crohr 12/16/2010 6:59pm

Stop yelling it’s rude …

• pattimsnyder 12/16/2010 5:35pm

I have written so many times to so many people and have sat here for these debates. There is so much garbage in this bill, does someone want to tell me that they could put nothing in the bill for the 99ers!? If they took whether the wealthiest 2% or the estate tax, they could pay for unemployment. I lost my job due to the bank crisis in 2008 and right now I have no clue what I will do through the next couple of weeks, no less as of the first of the year. I’m at a loss and just wish us all allot of luck. God help us all.

• seanurse 12/16/2010 5:58pm

WELL THEY PASSED THE TAX BILL. i DID LIKE THE QUESTIONS THAT WERE TAKEN WHILE WE WAITED FOR THE VOTE. tHE 99ERS WERE MENTIONED SEVERAL TIMES. i GUESS ITS GOING TO TAKE ALL OF THE OTHER UNEMPLOYED SOON TO BE 99ERS TO JOIN US . OUR NUMBERS WILL BE BIGGER AND HOPEFULLY BETWEEN SOME OF THE SENATORS THAT ARE ON OUR SIDE WE MIGHT STILL GET MORE HELP IN THE NEW YEAR. WELL GOD BLESS US ALL AND TRY TO HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS. EVEN IF WE HAVE NO TREES AND NO PRESENTS ITS REALLY THE LORDS DAY ANYWAY. GOD HELP US GET THROUGH THESE TRYING TIMES. AMEN

crohr 12/16/2010 7:00pm

Yet again … stop yelling it’s rude

• RL77 12/16/2010 6:03pm

Well, it looks like HR 4853 was just passed in the House with zero help for the 99ers. Devistating… although I expected it.

• Iamamerican33 12/16/2010 6:05pm

They are now voting on final passage. It is a no brainer now. It will go to the president as is. I just listened to a man call in on one of the lines and ask if the unemployment extension were for the 99ers and the lady taking the calls said yes. He told her he talked to the unemployment people and they told him no. She paused, and ask if he had ran out of benefits to which he replied yes. Apparently she is not aware that when you run out it is nor only Tier I, II, or III, but that it can be Tier IV which means you have none left. It was obvious from her answer that this man was under the impression that he, being a 99er was eligible for more weeks. But, if was very clear she was referring to this being a help to the people looking to GET their 99 weeks! This poor man has lost his home and had no money and has now been given hope for something that just is not happening. The Bill just passed. We are screwed. May we 99ers find peace somehow. Congrats to all those who still get to draw.

tinklietoes 12/16/2010 6:16pm

It passed. It’s important to the unemployed people. However, tax breaks will be going to the rich, who are the ones who received the bailouts, which us working people are paying for, and which, they haven’t payed back yet.. fair, no!!! But to save the little people, for now, this is just what needed to happen.

• brendat 12/20/2010 8:19pm

A walk in the cloud:
    This is a story happened in the vineyard. In order to help a Victory to get rid of the difficulty, Paul pretend to be her fiancé, but the ending turned that they are inevitably to fall in love with each other.

Pursuit of happiness:
    What is the happiness? How to realize it? this film give us a lesson that we would never forgot it. The protagonist at first is a responsible father, he love his son no matter what difficulty happened to him. Maybe the power of love could help us to overcome everything in the life road.

Home alone:
    Well, let us add some ingredient to this article, it is the term of comic, and it is beyond doubt that Home alone is a classic comedy for fun. But on the other hand , it tells all the parents that a good for nothing boy could potentially a hero:

• CANDY2011 02/18/2011 3:52pm

AIR MAX 87 http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-skyline-c-13.html
    AIR MAX Terra Niety http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-terra-niety-c-12.html
    AIR MAX Skyline http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-skyline-c-13.html
    AIR MAX BW http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-bw-c-14.html
    AIR MAX 95 http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-95-c-8.html
    AIR MAX 93 http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-93-c-7.html
    AIR MAX 92 http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-92-c-6.html
    AIR MAX 91 http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-91-c-5.html

Due to the archiving of this blog, comment posting has been disabled.