Get Politicash 2012 -- A New Mobile App for Tracking the Money Behind the Presidential RaceOctober 1, 2012 - by Donny Shaw
For the next few weeks until the elections you’ll be hearing a lot of focus-group-tested marketing talk about why you should vote for one of the two major-party presidential candidates. The television ads, debates, and editorials only give you a selective picture of who the candidates are. To better understand who the candidates are it’s important to seek out information that they aren’t trying to get you to see, stuff like which corporations and interests are financing their campaigns and will most likely be given special political favors if their candidate wins.
Maplight.org — the amazing money-in-politics website whose data helps fuel the money trail portal on OpenCongress — has just launched a new Android/iphone app that makes it easy to track the money flowing into the Obama and Romney campaigns. It’s called Politicash 2012, download it to your smart phone from Google Play or the iphone App Store.
The app’s features include:
- Head to head comparison of total contributions to Obama and Romney, including a fundraising breakdown by super PAC versus campaign committee.
- Graphs tracking money raised and spent by each candidate over time.
- The top 5 contributors overall and the biggest contributors in the last week of available records, updated regularly with the most up-to-date data.
- A “Shake” feature, showing a random sample of contributors to each candidate – you might be surprised who you find!
- An auto-tweet feature alerting the candidates that you’re keeping tabs on their fundraising.
Using something like this is seriously the best way to get a better understanding of the networks and mechanisms that shape American politics, because when it comes down to it, it really is all about the money. Download Politicash 2012 today, or risk being a sucker at the polls this year.