H.R.6867 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008

To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (6)

• Official: To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as enacted.

Patriots 08/08/2009 4:15pm
in reply to Patriots Aug 08, 2009 4:15pm

“-We need you to forward this your friends, the more letters sent to Congress, the better! The link is http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/FederalExtension

We’ll be coming up with new ideas and features to push this campaign forward. We are happy to introduce Tiphany Lee, who has joined NELP’s team to spruce up our unemployedworkers.org website and to help on this campaign. You’ll be hearing from her in the not too distant future.

Best,

Andy, Tiphany, Christine, Debbie, Maurice, Judy and Rick

The National Employment Law Project’s Unemployed Workers team"

Patriots 08/08/2009 4:15pm

I hope everyone that reads this will help NELP with this one. We are.

“-We need people to volunteer to tell their stories to the press. Please sign up as a media spokesperson at http://www.unemployedworkers.org/page/s/uistories

-We need you to contact your member of Congress and Senator when they are home for the August recess. Please visit http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/FederalExtension to find an action alert you can send to your member of Congress. If you are able to reach someone in your Congressperson’s office please let us know what they say at unemployedworkers.org@gmail.com."

JohnB 08/07/2009 2:20pm

Another Hurdle for the Jobless: Credit Inquiries

Digging out of debt keeps getting harder for the unemployed as more companies use detailed credit checks to screen job prospects.
Out of work since December, Juan Ochoa was delighted when a staffing firm recently responded to his posting on Hotjobs.com with an opening for a data entry clerk. Before he could do much more, though, the firm checked his credit history.

The interest vanished. There were too many collections claims against him, the firm said.

bninfl 08/06/2009 1:38pm
in reply to FLarlene Aug 02, 2009 5:51pm

YOU CALL UNEMPLOYMENT FOR THOSE WHO WERE LAID OFF A “SOCIAL PROGRAM”? UH WRONG BALLPARK… THE PROGRAMS THEY ARE MOSTLY AGAINST ARE THE WASTEFUL SPENDING YOU SEE HAPPENING BEFORE YOUR OWN EYES!!!! USELESS PROGRAMS THAT HAVE MONEY THROWN AT THEM ALL THE TIME… THERE’S NO TUR OR QUALIFICATIONS FOR MOST OF THE FRIVOLOUS “SOCIAL PROGRAMS” OUT THERE…. AND SOME OF THOSE PROGRAMS HAVE PEOPLE WHO ARE SCAMMING US OUT OF OUR OWN MONEY TO FUND THEIR GOOD FOR NOTHING PROGRAM. OR AT LEAST FIND FUNDING SOMEWHERE ELSE INSTEAD OF USING TAX PAYER MONEY. GOOD GRIEF.

DannyDog 08/06/2009 2:27am
in reply to NoGoodOnesLeft Aug 05, 2009 8:53pm

Thanks for your information.

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/05/2009 8:53pm

Danny Dog, you might want to send in your other forms just in case. I am not a lawyer and I could be wrong about the retro weeks. I would feel lousy if I screwed up your claim.

Robbi314 08/05/2009 4:05pm

I read a story like that (about that family) and can’t help wonder where the conscience of our illustrious “change will come” president is when I hear he and his family are taking what I beleve is a $25 or 50,000 a week vacation. It sickens me. How can anyone do that?? President or not?? I gues “mr. change” has already forgotten where he came from. Not surprised.

Patriots 08/05/2009 1:19pm
in reply to Patriots Aug 05, 2009 1:18pm

They already took free food from a church pantry, cardboard boxes filled with Corn Flakes and bologna and saltines, his wife, Kelly, walking in, head down, while he stayed in the car, ashen. They pawned his wedding ring, sold part of her Silver Eagle coin collection and had help from the Salvation Army paying their electric bill.

Now another cliff approaches: the loss of the home they rent.

Patriots 08/05/2009 1:18pm

Fallout Running Out of Options
For Many Americans, Nowhere to Go but Down

MIDDLEBURY, Ind. — He sinks into the couch, foot jiggling, his gaze traveling from his wife to the television to the darkness outside, broken now and then by the distant glow of passing headlights.

His mind settles into another round of “What if?”

As in: What if we don’t have cash to buy milk, eggs, bread or diapers? What if our unemployment benefits run out? What if we never find jobs?

And then Scott Nichols thinks of the words he doesn’t want to say, what for him, a 39-year-old husband and father of two, is the option he has hoped to avoid since being laid off nine months earlier.

Patriots 08/05/2009 1:11pm

I’ll post this here too.

I just came from my local gas station. There was a woman with two kids sitting on the hood of her car crying in the 90 degree sun. One of the kids was holding a sign saying “Broke…out of gas…anything will help”

They lost their apartment when unemployment ran out. They are living in their car now.

I filled their gas tank and called a friend. His wife came and got them. At least they have a safe place to park and a meal tonight.

Something better be done soon to help people out here.

PAGirl 08/05/2009 11:17am

DannyDog,

I plan on doing the same thing. I guess I was just venting my frustration. These people work there and are supposed to be our resource for correct information. It is frustrating when we know more than they do and they treat you like you are stupid or wothless or annoying them. It’s their job. They should be happy to have that job and not be in the situation we are in. It would be nice if they all said or new the same information!
Sorry for venting….

DannyDog 08/05/2009 10:44am

PAGirl,

I’m going to mail my claim for week ending Aug 8 on Monday at noon. I’m not going to claim 7/25 and 8/1. I don’t think that that is going anywhere. By then we should have a better idea of what’s going on. Hopefully by then the UC website will be updated and we might get something in the mail and this will be clear.

I think that the explanation on retro weeks could be that we will get benefits because the law will go back to include us (July 1st). But according to NoGoodOnesLeft, since there was no clause backdate to 2/22/2009, then the payments can only be made once the law is signed. Makes sense. Did someone screw up or was this intended to be that way? Only Harrisburg knows for sure.

PAGirl 08/05/2009 9:11am

Sometimes I loathe taking with certain UC reps. I thought of another question that I wanted clarification on. I got a man who said they had no information about this new extension. I then had to explain to him that I had already spoken to people and knew that forms were mailed, etc. He told me I was wrong because my account balance was zero. He then put me on hold for quite some time and came back saying that he did see where my forms were mailed but knew nothing else. He told me not to mail any forms that I have. He ended the call with “that is the problem with all you claimants, you ask too many questions. Do what you want.”

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/05/2009 6:31am
in reply to DannyDog Aug 05, 2009 4:53am

I’m not in PA and may be wrong but I just looked at that bill 1770. It looks to me like it will not be retroactive because they did not use the backdate of 2/22/09 like most of the other states did when they added the TUR trigger. MA’s says “With respect to weeks beginning on or after February 22, 2009” near the beginning. I did not see that in your 1770 anywhere so that means it would take effect when signed into law.

DannyDog 08/05/2009 4:53am
in reply to DannyDog Aug 05, 2009 4:51am

By the time that we get something in the mail, it may be too late to patch this all together. I guess try calling again later in the week and checking for updated info on the UC website.

DannyDog 08/05/2009 4:51am

How’s this for more confusion. Someone posted that a job search may not be required for retro weeks. If that’s true then maybe we could just file online for those retro weeks. If it’s not a matter of money from those two weeks, I think your safe in just filing for the week ending August 8th and going forward.

DannyDog 08/05/2009 4:46am
in reply to PAGirl Aug 05, 2009 4:28am

I don’t know what to do either. You could just claim the week ending August 8th and extend your benefits going forward and have those 7 weeks. I guess that would be safe, unless you need the money now for the possible retroactive weeks ending 7/25 and 8/1. I guess that if you start claiming again with August 8th, then you would be considered as re-opening your claim, but I guess that’s not a big deal? Wow, what confusion.

PAGirl 08/05/2009 4:28am

I called again and spoke to a rep who said this is the third time she has been through this (because she has been there so long). She said that they are waiting to hear if it will be retroactive. Her advice was to mail the weeks ending the 25th and 1at as soon as possible. Then mail my form for the 8th this Sunday. She said the first two weeks could be denied but if they find out it is retroactive they will just go in and release those two payments. She also said that their is a chance they will hear that it is retoactive before my claim even gets in the system. So now I don’t know what to do regarding those two weeks. One rep says it could mess me up and another says it won’t.

DannyDog 08/05/2009 4:20am

I talked to UC. She said that the computers were down, so she could only answer general questions. The first payable week would be the week ending August 8. I didn’t really understand her explanation, but it is what it is. She said that I could use the form that I already have.

She said that the UC website could be updated with the new rules at any time. Keep checking.

PAGirl 08/05/2009 3:30am

DannyDog and PA friends….

I just spoke with a UC rep. My forms were mailed out to me yesterday, August 5th. She said the first week that is available to be claimed is the week ending August 8th. She read me the rules and it said that anyone who ran out of EB benefits will not be paid for those weeks. She also said that I was mailed 5 weeks woth of claim forms so I will have them through September 5th. I still have the form that I was sent previously for the week ending the 8th so she said to go ahead and mail that one so I am not waiting on the mail. Have any of you heard anything different? I was under the impression we were not going to miss any weeks.

FLarlene 08/04/2009 6:41pm
in reply to bninfl Aug 04, 2009 5:40pm

Bn, most of us have moved over to HR3404’s blog. This a pending bill….well, read it, and see you there.

bninfl 08/04/2009 5:40pm

florida—- whats the latest ive been busy trying to consolidate bills, plan for future, look for job etc… too many pages to read thru and i dont like the new light look of this website… anyways whats the latest…. any new extensions? any stimulus checks for us? anything in florida new?????

DannyDog 08/04/2009 1:12pm
in reply to DannyDog Aug 04, 2009 1:09pm

Repeat ….

UC will start mailing new determinations and mail claims on Thursday!!

DannyDog 08/04/2009 1:09pm
  • PENNSYLVANIA BULLETIN *

I received this update from attorney advocate Sharon Dietrich at noon today.

Update: Bill should become law by the end of the day today. Governor plans a public signing.The Department tells me that they will start mailing new determinations and mail claims on Thursday.

DannyDog 08/03/2009 5:42pm

PENNSYLVANIA UPDATE ….

From attorney advocate Sharon Dietrich at 4:20PM: I have been told that the bill has passed the House unanimously. However, the Senate has not signed it today. So it is expected to go to the Governor’s desk tomorrow. Almost there.

My 10PM news showed Governor Rendell saying that he would sign HB 1770 on Tuesday. I think that the Pennsylvania unemployment rate must be certified by the Federal Dept. of Labor next. But we are getting there. Let’s hope that this is done quickly. The good news guys is that this will be retroactive to July 1st. So we will not have lost any past weeks.

Patriots 08/03/2009 2:18pm
in reply to nancym Aug 02, 2009 7:29am

Firefox!

Jondofox if you want to be sneaky :)

Patriots 08/03/2009 2:16pm
in reply to aross Aug 01, 2009 10:20am

What’s my dog doing at your house?:)

I know how the stars work. They are a little annoying, but I am getting used to looking the other way when they pop up. They kind of make you dizzy (really):)

Patriots 08/03/2009 2:10pm
in reply to Patriots Aug 03, 2009 2:08pm

“Individuals are expected to take personal responsibility for their own economic futures.”

In other words NO HELP FROM US.

Patriots 08/03/2009 2:08pm
in reply to Patriots Aug 03, 2009 2:06pm

Most of those programs are ancient history.

Most are basically on their own here now if you lose your job.

Patriots 08/03/2009 2:06pm
in reply to Patriots Aug 03, 2009 2:05pm

Individuals who cannot get jobs on their own will receive services helping them to find a job. People unable to find work with that assistance may qualify for additional services, including further education and training.

Transformation to this new system has not only meant changes for the recipients but also for workers in the field offices. Eligibility processes have been simplified, and service delivery altered to free staff to focus on helping clients become less dependent on assistance.

Individuals are expected to take personal responsibility for their own economic futures. The underlying philosophy is that employment, whether full time or part time, high skilled or low, offers clients the dignity that no welfare check can.