H.R.2835 - Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act

To provide for the medical use of marijuana in accordance with the laws of the various States. view all titles (3)

• Official: To provide for the medical use of marijuana in accordance with the laws of the various States. as introduced.
  • Popular: Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act as introduced.
  • Short: Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act as introduced.

ClarenceDarrowJr 08/05/2009 7:13am

With President Obama’s history of marijuana use and that of President George W. Bush and President Clinton, and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, and that of over 100 million Americans, it’s about time someone changed the terrible federal laws regarding this drug. 2.7 million people are in jail and most of them because of marijuana. That just feeds corrupt courts, corrupt police, and corrupt private prison systems. I’m backing you up fully on this Barney !

thawkinsjr 08/16/2009 9:00am

It is very true that the main reason that cannabis is opposed as medicine is the fact that cannabis is a natural substance and cannot be patented.

Synthetic THC (the main active ingredients in cannabis) has been on the market for some time as Marinol. This is allowed because the synthetic form is a chemical and has been patented.

Much of the funding and lobbying money that keeps cannabis illegal comes from the pharmaceutical companies because they know that if cannabis were legal for medical use it would cut into their markets. They sure don’t want that to happen, and they will fund whatever keeps cannabis illegal, even if it is a campaign of lies like we see so often.

dewby13 08/08/2009 11:28am
in reply to b58 Aug 08, 2009 12:12am

Hey b58,

This bill if passed helps the doctors and patients from being raided by federal agents. It gives the control over to the states whether or not they will provide compassionate care to their sick ones. Also many notable organizations endorse the use of medical marijuana. Ranging from doctors to nurses, scientists to law enforcement. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis#Organizational_support

This bill is not to be confused with street dope which some dealers lace to get you into some hardcore drugs. For that issue see bill, “H.R.2943 – Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2009”.

dewby13 08/07/2009 1:00pm

To All My Fellow Americans,

I’m for the, “Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act” bill because
if it passes, me along with millions of other Americans will have
access to better care. I did some digging and found out that the
pharmaceutical industry is lobbying against all of us sick patients.
Essentially, they’re lobbying against a safe herb which they extract
to make their drug, “Marinol”, which has known side effects… to be continued

kevinmcc 06/15/2009 3:41am

Take action now!

kevinmcc 06/14/2009 9:22pm

If any thing it should be lowered to at least schedule III, but really it should not even be on the list of controlled substances.

Hope this bill passes.

jml6m 06/16/2009 5:25pm

There’s no reason for this not to pass.

rables 08/04/2009 6:35am

Finally!

tanzylynne 08/22/2009 10:53am

YES, YES, and YES again! In my state a medical marijuana user is not a criminal. In my view, marijuana use shouldn’t even be a crime. I don’t smoke pot, but I enjoy wine, and how on earth is that any different???

tmcdonaldcan 06/15/2009 4:50pm

I hope this passes.

dewby13 08/07/2009 1:02pm

This monstrous industry has to be stopped. They made drugs that my cousin
OD’ed on for his depression. They made the drugs that nearly took mine
and now they have the audacity to swindle Americans from
compassionate, humane, and affordable treatment. It’s time to make a
STAND. To stand UP for our LIBERTY to HEALTH and WELL-BEING… To be continued

jimblq 06/16/2009 6:38pm

Maybe the sixth time through, this bill might make it past the House Energy and Commerce committee.

Constitutionalist1 10/25/2009 12:28pm

I’m not sure how to vote on this. I agree that drugs should be legal, but I don’t agree that the FDA should regulate anything. What’s to be regulated on a plant? You stick the seed in the soil and let it grow. I guess it is a step in the right direction to complete deregulation.

Fredamae 06/29/2009 6:57am

Reciprocity for Interstate Travel. The Tourist Industry would Appreciate this, I’m sure.

Treat CannaMeds Like ALL other medications!

hecticdad 06/25/2009 1:45pm

I hope this bill passes

blissando 07/25/2009 3:49am

This bill is a large step in the right direction regarding medical marijuana policies, and I do hope it passes

Xcyeal 07/03/2009 11:26am

This needs to get done already.

Keirie420 10/19/2009 4:04am

Medicinal Marijuana should be legal throughout the country. No person should ever have their freedom taken away for possession of a plant.

dewby13 08/07/2009 1:03pm

Make a STAND with me. I’ve written two songs about this and just want to
share one with you right now:

‘me tired of carin
cuz know one’s carin for me
just give me the bottle
i’ll take the dang pills

i’ll just let ‘em kill me
i’ll just wither away
till my last pill i swallow
takes me away’

It breaks my heart that fellow Americans will let this happen. If you
have a sister, brother, mom, dad, or anyone else you know that’s just
slipping away, DON’T LET IT HAPPEN!!! WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN!!!
PLEASE!!!

Most Sincerely,

Patrick D.
Disabled Veteran

Seabourne 07/27/2010 8:07pm

It should be legal for medicinal use nationwide.
See Run from the Cure – the Rick Simpson story (this man cured hundreds of cancer patients with strong cannabis oil) on you tube.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psJhQHk_GI
For some patients it is the only thing that works. Must we all leave our homes and move to other states? It should be legal nationwide!

dewby13 08/09/2009 10:55pm

Everyone, pay particular attention to the bill in Sec.2(D) and Sec.3(4) . I’ve noticed that these clauses give the false pretense of giving the states control over who distributes or produces marijuana. However, this bill is biased towards the pharmaceutical industry. They are being very sneaky and trying to yet again, dupe all of us Americans from AFFORDABLE Treatment!!! I’m very serious folks, they did it with “Marinol” (over 700 $$ for 30 doses at 10mg each!! That’s less than an ounce!!!) and there’s a good chance they’ll do it again with the herb, if we let them.

To be continued, see next comment…

Seabourne 07/27/2010 8:02pm

It should be legal for medicinal use nationwide. It has been shown to be safe and effective for but not limited to : Alzheimer’s and pre-Alzheimer’s disease, autoimmune diseases, stroke, arthritis, asthma, cramps, epilepsy, glaucoma, migraine, multiple sclerosis, nausea, premenstrual syndrome, side effects of cancer chemotherapy, fibromyalgia, sickle cell anemia, spasticity, spinal injury, stress, easement of post-traumatic stress disorder, Tourette’s syndrome, wasting syndrome from AIDS or anorexia, many rare diseases for which there is no know cure or treatment. Mental conditions not limited to bipolar, depression, attention deficit disorder, or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Use as an antibiotic, antibacterial, anti-viral, or anti-emetic; as a healing agent, or as an adjunct to many other medical or herbal treatments.

Seabourne 07/27/2010 8:03pm

It should be legal for medicinal use nationwide.
Substance abuse and medical value are not the same by any means. For example there are many, many current pharmaceutical drugs prescribed and sold daily that are abused. Drug abusers and ill patients using the same drug can not be compared. Someone having a legitimate health need for the drug simply can not be put in the same category as an addict or drug abuser.

losingliberty09 07/07/2009 4:16am

I hate you barney, but thanks for a decent piece of legaslation.

opm118 12/04/2010 1:56pm

The war on drugs is a fraud and a failure and cannabis is healthy.

HR2835 11/20/2009 10:24am

“High” hopes for this bill. I am sure the big pharma’s will spend the right cash to beat it. Yes Barney is a liar, but can anyone provide me the name of any elected A hole that tells the truth. Our government has been lying about MJ, since 1937. I do not trust any of them. But I give Barney credit; he at least has the wavels to stick his ass on the line for our cause. To those of you who oppose our views, you are entitled to do so; it is your right. But please get informed, get the facts, sit down with a MJ consumer, and ask them any questions you wish. We are not just a bunch of teenage stoners, we are doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians, ceo’s, cfo’s, law enforcement, the lists go on and on. So before you spout off get the real truth and facts, then form your educated opinion. I myself smoke each and every day, I am a very productive part of my community, and I have a seven figure bank account. Not to bad for a stoner from Il., and my wealth was obtain 100% legit.

Chris

Seabourne 07/28/2010 6:24am

Cured: A Cannabis Story (A film by David Triplett)

Seabourne 07/27/2010 8:04pm

It should be legal for medicinal use nationwide. It is a criminal offense for officials or executives of the U.S. government to direct or conspire to wage a deliberate campaign of misinformation, omission of fact, and outright lies with our tax dollars. Taxpayers pay $50,000.00 per year for every person in jail. It is time to stop punishing those that this is the only medicine that works for them, especially those that can not tolerate the pharmaceutical chemicals, which are far more damaging to the body and any amount of cannabis could ever do.

Seabourne 07/28/2010 6:48am

The FDA is responsible for protecting the public health not pharmaceutical companies profits. The FDA claims they concure with the DEA, who claims they are basing their decision on what the FDA states. Neither is willing to take responsibilty. It is like listening to toddlers in a he said – she said, each blaming the other. What a farse! The Controlled Substance Act of 1970 and subsequent scheduling was done before science was even aware the human body has an endocannabinoid system. Congress enacted laws against marijuana in 1970 based in part on its conclusion that marijuana has no scientifically proven medical value. In the last 40 years much scientific documentation has taken place. It must be taken into consideration… It should be legal for medicinaluse nation wide!

LoneRebel 02/22/2010 10:44am

I dont understand the patent issue for ‘weed’ either. This is irrelevent because it is a schedule I drug. Period point blank. It is what it is. You do not have to ‘own’ the rights to weed to grow it. It is not like they have dumped time, research and development into marijuana, they do not have to recoup that money as would a drug that would have a patent.