H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

unemployeddad 06/21/2010 9:34am
in reply to Harmonzhouse Jun 21, 2010 9:30am

nope its right, killing time I guess

Harmonzhouse 06/21/2010 9:30am
in reply to Jess01869 Jun 21, 2010 9:18am

These politicians are just rediculous..what happened to the 2:00 vote? maybe my watch is wrong but it’s 2:30 on my watch.

Jess01869 06/21/2010 9:18am

I definitely woke up this morning thinking how on the cusp America must be of The Great Depression # 2

loganstorm 06/21/2010 8:01am
in reply to njcoolchik Jun 21, 2010 7:31am

There is supposed to be a 10 minute debate before the 2:00 voting. Tune in at 1:45 EST to catch it all.

loganstorm 06/21/2010 8:00am
in reply to leslierickard Jun 21, 2010 6:55am

Join the club :( If I don’t have money this week, I’m also out. I haven’t used any extensions yet.. just ended the original 26 weeks of UI, but with two degrees, no one will hire me… “overqualified” I’m told. Then exploit me! I need to take care of my son.. don’t even know what to do if it doesn’t pass. I, along w/ so many of you, am feeling so lost right now. I don’t like this helpless feeling at all. Too bad we’re not in the same area… I know I could use the support (as well as a roomate under the nearest bridge)

njcoolchik 06/21/2010 7:31am
in reply to leslierickard Jun 21, 2010 6:55am

Thanks for this information, I will be sure to watch it while I still have a tv.

leslierickard 06/21/2010 6:55am
in reply to whywasilaidoff Jun 21, 2010 6:32am

It’s not the house that you need to be watching now…the bill is caught up in the senate. They are expected t ovote around 2:00 this afternoon and will be televised on cspan2…i no longer have cable so I will be trying to watch online. Of course after it passes (if it ever does) the sentate it will then be returned to the house and then to the president. Its not looking like I will have my rent paid this week, so I join the people that are already homeless.

whywasilaidoff 06/21/2010 6:32am

So the House of Representatives meets at 11:00, says the pledge of allegiance and then the speaker announces that the House now adjourns. I wish that when I was working I could have taken a break after 3 mins. and gone back to my desk one and a half hours later. I don’t understand.
I pray that this bill is brought up and passed today. Lord help us all!

direstraits 06/21/2010 6:04am

It’s been 3 weeks since our extensions expired. I am not a 99er, I was one of the one’s who fell in the mid tier expiration. There will be alot more me’s in the weeks to come. My rent is 3 weeks overdue, my lights will be shut off soon, I have no gas to job hunt anymore, cant pay insurance now anyway, phone will be shut off soon so jobs I applied for won’t be able to reach me anyway, food is running out. I don’t know how to hunt or fish but I am going to learn, and I have a tent and camping equipment. I’m female, and my teenagers also can’t find work so…I see no choice soon but to embrace our inner Daniel Boones & go live in the woods and learn to survive there. Forget housing which has a 1 year waiting list because so many people lost their jobs. My parents grew up in the Great Depression and told stories. And that, my friends, is where we are fast heading…by September this country will be in the 2nd Great Depression complete with Hobo towns and beggars on the streets. Good luck.

mjh 06/21/2010 5:32am

Due to current situations with UI, made decision with cutting back on some things also including auto insurance (bare state minimums plus medpay, since have no health insurance) and using air conditioner even less than was before to cut down on electic bill. As hot as it is in evenings in my aptmt. hopefully the decision to move my ’puter into my bedroom which feels about 15 degrees cooler will help some. Also stronly considering losing my land line which already has been discounted on the lifeline program. Considering to sell some of my sports memorabilia books of my favorite football team have collected over the years (6 of them).

njcoolchik 06/21/2010 3:59am

The unemployment portion of this bill does not add extra benefits in addition to what was already passed. All it does in FUND the benefits that was already agreed to.

How can you promise Americans unemployment benefits by giving them clear cut described terms then turn around and not provide the financial support for it? Its like saying “You are entitled to food to live”, but I’m sorry we can’t give it to you." What good does entitlement when there is no follow through?

This hurts the most. You don’t know what the job market is like out there. Be GRATEFUL that you are not caught up in this mess now and if you are currently employed. You don’t know how good you have it.

We don’t want to be on unemployment, we want jobs. But until the recessions shows some signs of easing and employers start hiring again, HELP us by funding the program you already voted and agreed to.

pattyddddd 06/20/2010 9:24pm

I’m in the same boat as everyone else is. Lost my house, sold everything in order to pay for my bills. Now I’m out of medicine (insulin).

Here’s the killer!! I called the city to tell them I can’t make my monthly tax payment and they gave me until next month to pay. Wow….I can’t pay my taxes because this Bill hasn’t passed. Seems like a vicious circle to me.

Jess01869 06/20/2010 4:56pm

I’m in awe over this bill not passing. I’ve been getting unemployment for 7 months after getting let go from my job of 6 years…I’m doing my job searches and everything else I can do to get by. I’m sure everyone on unemployment has similar stories. People ARE going homeless and will continue to do so if something isn’t done! The only good thing put into perspective on this situation for me is that I know exactly who I’ll be voting for come election.

Jess01869 06/20/2010 4:55pm

I just recently got evicted from my home waiting on the extension or a job. My landlord gave me til June 18th to come up with rent or get out. Needless to say due to the bill not passing and not hearing from employers, I wasn’t able to keep my home.I’ve now had to move to another town 4 hours away from the current one I lived in where a good majority of potential jobs are. I can’t even pay my insurance on my car, put gas in it, or keep my phone on that all aid in my job searches if this bill does not pass! I was lucky enough to be able to stay with struggling friends and give them the very last of my money ($250 from my last unemployment check) to prevent from being on the street with all of my belongings. My father is in even a worse situation with having worked all his life, getting laid off, collecting unemployment and now completely cut off, in his 50’s with difficulty finding employers who want to hire someone his age. He has had to sell everything just to get by and is homeless.

leslierickard 06/20/2010 11:29am
in reply to leslierickard Jun 20, 2010 8:13am

Well, my landlord just came by, if I don’t have rent this week my sons and myself will be homeless. WHat part of WE NEED HELP is the senate not hearing!

klig103 06/20/2010 10:23am

IF CONGRESS WOULD OASS H.R. 4213 WITH THE FMAP ECTENSION IN IT LIBERTY RESOURCES A GREAT CENTER FOR INDEPENDENT LIVING IN PHILA. PA. COULD HELP M GET OUT. I DON’T WANT TO STAY IN THIS NURSING HOME AND ROT! THIS ISN’T LIVING!

codemoney 06/20/2010 10:19am

Now what?

klig103 06/20/2010 10:14am

WITHOUT THIS BILL I HAVE TO STAY IN A NURSING HOME. I AS PUT HERE INCORRECTLY 2 AND A HALF YEARS AGO AT THE AGE OF 50. I TURNED 53 ON 5/26/10. OVER A YEAR AND A HALF AGO I GOT MY MEMORY BACK RETAUGHT MYSELF HOW TO DRESS, I’M COLLEGE EDUCATED. BUT WOULD RATHER LIVE ON WELFARE THEN IN HERE. A DR. MADE A BIG MISTAKE SAYING SHORT-TERM MEMORY LOSS WAS LONG TERM MEMORY LOSS AND A HEART ATTACK. MY SAVINGS ARE GONE. I CAN’T GO ON ELEVATOR ALONE ONLY GET A 5 MINUTE SHOWER 3 TIMES A WEEK. NO ONE TO TSLK TO. I’M GOING CRAZY IN HERE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET OUT. THIS ISN’T LIVING.

klig103 06/20/2010 9:53am
the American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act. The bill was to have been the House vehicle to extend the enhanced federal matching dollars for the Medical Assistance Program.It is worth $850 million in next year’s budget for PA-over 7% of the DPW budget. The Governor’s proposed budget, along with the state budgets of 29 other states, assumed passage of the “FMAP extension.”

Without this Act, PA will be forced to implement deep budget cuts,face layoffd State, county and municipal jobs

unemployeddad 06/20/2010 9:20am

Like most if not all of everybody posting here, I too have been unemployed for quite some time, and with congress failing to pass the bill to help out the average American I too no longer receive unemployment benefits which I have paid into for years. They really need to pass this, with no income what so ever coming in and rent day rapidly approaching me and my family are looking at eviction. Im not registered to vote right now but that will quickly change as soon as i find out what i have to do to get registered, if for nothing else than to vote these selfish SOB’s that have no grasp on what hard working(unemployed) Americans are going through.

On a happier note I would like to wish all those reading this blog/forum a Happy Fathers day (at the very least our children can offer us their love and comfort in this dire time, even if they don’t understand it).

In a way I admire the children, it is true “ignorance is bliss”. Congress must believe this as well.

leslierickard 06/20/2010 8:13am
in reply to leslierickard Jun 20, 2010 8:13am
I am so disgusted with our government and ashamed…I really don’t think this is what George Washington and our founding fathers thought of when they formed the United States. Somewhere along the way the grasp on reality slipped away and now these politicians live in a fantasy world…at least it’s a fantasy world to me, a place where I don’t have to worry about my next meal or if my son’s will have a roof over their heads come next week!
leslierickard 06/20/2010 8:13am
in reply to patsy1950 Jun 20, 2010 5:40am

Congress is so worried about the defecit….are they even thinking about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? It is estimated now that it will cost the AMERICAN TAXPAYERS…yes the AMERICAN TAXPAYERS….$145.9 billion to bail them out of the mess they were in. How does HR4213 compare…how can they seriously say they are worried about the defecit? I am already a week late on my rent with late fees growing every day, I am expecting an eviction notice any day now. I have so many open applications out there, if anyone should call they won’t be able to get through…AT&T is shutting my phone off. My electric bill hasn’t been paid this month, so that’s going as well. I have used the last of my money for what groceries I could get…and it wasnt’t much. I won’t even be able to drive to a food bank because I will not have gas in my car. My youngest son’s birthday is Tues. and it breaks my heart to tell him he will be getting nothing. I just hope to be able to eat by then!

patsy1950 06/20/2010 5:40am

Our Congress is shameful! I am so tired of hearing that the majority of America wants to lower the deficit, not increase it. This was repeated over and over again during the Senate hearings. Blah, blah blah. Nothing else to say Senators? Yes, we all want to lower the deficit, but right now there are hundreds of thousands of YOUR fellow Americans left out in the cold because of your own criteria. I am a 60 year old unemployed woman that has been laid off 2 times in the past 20 months and currently unemployed for 1 year. Too young for retirement and too old to be hired. Yes, that is a fact that is happening along with employers requiring people are currently employed.The longer I am unemployed will affect my retirement earnings. Senators, sending billions to other countries in crisis, but ignoring your own American citizens is disgusting and shameful!!!! We all will remember come next election.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:37am
in reply to loganstorm Jun 19, 2010 3:28am

I feel for you. Your situation is dire, and you don’t deserve this. You’re highly qualified for most any position it sounds like. I have read a lot of comments, and have met a lot of people over the years, who like you have several degrees. I almost feel like in a lot of ways this whole country is over qualified. We ship off so much of our jobs overseas that we can’t ALL be managers and business owners. We can’t all do thought work and engineering (although so much of that is offshored too now). Everyone becomes over qualified, except when it’s convenient for a company to wade through piles of resumes and slowly take their pick. Sure, it’s their right. But that’s the sad truth. Some companies are so happy that they can finally nitpick over which exact candidates they want.

Anyway, you’re not alone. Hang in there. Millions in your shoes, and likely hundreds of thousands in your exact situation. Whatever you do, don’t go back to school AGAIN. It’s unnecessary.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:20am
in reply to Debbie119 Jun 17, 2010 3:56pm

I don’t think it would make much difference! These guys are in it for the power, the politics, the notoriety, and the back office deals. Most of them are already independently wealthy. Remember, it takes a lot of money to get into power, and often times the parties only support financially well-to-do types, since they need to understand the party clientelle (i.e. rich fatcat lobbyists and wealthy corporations who support their campaigns).

I love what you’re saying in spirit. I wish giving these guys a median salary of an equivalent position would actually make them more accountable and understanding, but if they’re already loaded, why would they care? They still have the power, and the back office deals.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:06am
in reply to tmo520 Jun 16, 2010 3:15pm

All of those programs are already having problems too, so a flood of people on these “lower level programs” will most definitely trigger further issues.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:05am
in reply to loganstorm Jun 16, 2010 11:22am

This assumes people even have a television service! In my household, this was one of the first things to get cut off to save money and live way under our means.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:03am
in reply to tybeedac Jun 16, 2010 9:34am

The banks are hardly even lending to small businesses and entrepreneurs with outstanding credit, history, and personal capital. And yet, people who have been let go at no fault of their own, are now in a situation with destroyed credit, and no foreseeable job in the near term. They’re fully capable of starting a small business to offer something they’re wildly good at, but can’t possibly find funding because of the debt and destroyed credit. I know this situation well.

Until government starts to really appreciate small businesses, and create a path to help worthy people a way to repair that credit and eliminate the debt, I can see this being a problem for many more years to come.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:00am
in reply to Walnut12 Jun 16, 2010 10:33am

I know exactly how you feel. I sit wondering the same.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 12:57am
in reply to CindyPMI Jun 15, 2010 3:44pm

You got it. That should actually be a job REQUIREMENT! Some experience showing that they know how to run a tight budget due to tight times. Shouldn’t a government that has a steep deficit and a huge national debt be run by people who know how to fix a budget and run a tight ship smoothly (and without putting the people at risk), and not fatcats with deep pockets who have no incentive to actually improve anything?