S.887 - H-1B and L-1 Visa Reform Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to reform and reduce fraud and abuse in certain visa programs for aliens working temporarily in the United States and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to reform and reduce fraud and abuse in certain visa programs for aliens working temporarily in the United States and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: H-1B and L-1 Visa Reform Act of 2009 as introduced.

• debug 07/06/2009 4:37pm

Americans need this bill passed. With Millions of Americans unemployed, this would make the playing field even for Americans against cheap foreign labor. In fact we need to send these temporary guest workers home since there is no labor shortage.

ch33ky1 11/28/2010 2:30pm

I only recently got hired for an IT job because one of the people needed to get the h1b extension. Okay, so now apparently this extension has suddenly been granted for said employee. I’m concerned they now don’t need me. I am appalled and very concerned. My new boss seems so attached to these people and turns a blind eye when this one employee makes faces at me and fabricates “errors” in my work to make me look bad. My boss seems to have bought it. I was being sabotaged (until I started documenting and watching my back)to look bad by these people. Interesting, none of these “mistakes” have been made ever since I started taking screen prints and heavily documenting most of my actions. Anyway, if I get replaced by these 3rd world sharks I will raise H! This is crazy!

• KevinFlanagan 07/07/2009 4:52am

- The H-1B and L-1 visa programs give companies the legal authority to discriminate against American workers.

- American I.T. pros demand the right to compete for High-Tech Jobs.

- Indian, Inc. , Desi Bodyshops, and American tech companies have been using the visas to BYPASS American workers.

- S.887 will require American companies to allow AMERICANS to compete for high-tech jobs.

- American corporations have been using the visa laws to recruit visa workers in favor of Americans.

- The DOJ is pursuing CRIMINAL charges against the Vision Systems bodyshop, and Desi recruiters will face JAIL TIME.

Maybe some CIOs will go to jail once the DOJ and DOL find out about all the IMMIGRATION SCAMS and EEOC violations that have been going on in I.T. in this whole outsourcing/offshoring/onshoring/hire-anybody-but-an-American wave.

rogerzan 10/17/2009 9:01am

Kevin,

They can start by throwing the CEO of Citicorp, Vikram “The Bandit” Pandit, into prison because he has turned it into a typical H1-B curry den and is spitting in the face of EEOC by openly replacing American workers with Indian brought in on H1-B visas who need to be trained by the American workers they are displacing. Any American working for Citicorp has to burn their clothing afterwards because the entire place is infused with the stench of curry and bad body odor and is no worst than being sprayed by a skunk. I guess the concept of personal hygiene is foreign to many of these “guest workers” who we are forced to tolerate to make a living.

• itprousa 07/17/2009 3:57pm

Kevin is spot on. The h1 and l1 programs have been exploited for nearly ten years. This program is exploited by greedy un-American big business to displace american IT workers with cheap “3rd world labor soldiers” who often live 8 to 10 to a 1 bedroom apartment. These guest worker programs have provided corporate America a tool to butcher the careers and prosperity of many American IT pro citizens. American Citizens need jobs and prosperity more than ever! Send all these guest workers home and take care of the American Workers for a change. Horrible policy has favored the rich long enough! How about fair immigration law that doesn’t destroy American IT pro career prosperity for a change?!?!?

rogerzan 10/17/2009 9:10am

ITProUSA,

I too am an I.T. Pro (MCSE, MCDST, and CNE) with over 12+ years of industry experience and I am saddened to say that I’ve seen the IT industry taken over by the Indian Mafia in the past decade and are infiltrating every aspect of the industry from IT recruiting to the very people in H.R. who do the hiring. So please tell me that they are “not” discriminating because I clearly see what is going on…they are like cockroaches and trying to take over everything here and turn the USA into their version of Bangalore. What I have found common among the majority of these H1-Bs’ in IT from India is that they get certified up the wazoo by taking illegal open book certification exams at shady testing centers (yes, this has been well documented in India and South Asia) and brag about their certs, yet they couldn’t replace a failed hard drive if their careers depended on it.

• sonetlumiere 07/19/2009 5:18am

Even more galling is the utilization of TARP money by BOA and JP Morgan Chase to kick even more American workers to the curb and replace them with H-1B indentured servants.

rogerzan 10/17/2009 9:18am

sonetlumiere,

it’s funny you mention JPMC, because over a week ago I called by a an H1-B body shop (Collabera) trying to fill a position at JP Morgan Chase’s Jersey City office, as Collabera is their “preferred” vendor for IT talent (I wonder why?). The slumdog recruiter, whom I could barely understand with his heavy accent, tried to pull his Indian street market haggling game with me to see how low of an hourly rate I’d accept for senior level work that should have been paying no less than $60/hr or so. The best he could pay was $40/hr on a W2 and here they are seeking a “Senior Level Windows Systems Engineer” to work at helpdesk rates in the NY Metro Area. Basically, I told the moron to take his job and shove it because I don’t work for H1-B rates.

• buddydc1 07/24/2009 8:03am

Foreign companies are advertising U.S. jobs overseas, but aren’t advertising the same openings here. How can a U.S. worker compete for a job that they don’t know exists? All companies which have openings in the U.S. should be required to seek local talent before advertising those openings elsewhere. Pass this bill!

• proamerica 07/24/2009 8:12am

While Americans are losing their jobs, and can’t even get an interview for openings; Our Secretary of State is in India promoting the insourcing of more H1b’s. The H1b program is an Anti-American worker program utilized by the very people that received TARP funds to cover their illegal activities and enrich themselves individually. American STEM workers are forced to train H1b’s and are then laid off. The extortion involves receiving not any exit layoff package should they not train their Indian replacement.

Why discrimination lawsuits have not been filed is absolutely amazing to me.

American workers need to document their being replaced by H1b’s and file these suits against Microsoft et al.

rogerzan 10/17/2009 8:21am

Seems like ole Hillary has a hard on for these Indians and wants to see more H1-Bs’ flooding into the USA. What ever happened to Country First? Oh wait, that was the campaign slogan of McCain and unfortunately he lost to these bunch of socialist sellouts.

• dtop2000 09/06/2009 10:46am

I support this bill. This should be taken further, however, in my opinion. Congress should pass a law that limits the ability of American corporations from outsourcing/insourcing (h1B). The limit should be based on whether or not any personally identifiable data on citizens is accessible by the foreign workers due to the nature of the work. Companies should not be allowed to exposed the personally identifiable data of citizens (health care information, social security number, age, name, address, occupation, education, etc.) to foreign nationals, or foreign countries, without the citizens express consent.

• rogerzan 10/17/2009 8:19am

Here’s how this H1-B scam works and many immigration law firms are advising corporations on how to perpetuate this. They tell the corporations to create such an absurd job description that cannot be filled by anyone due to its convoluted and ridiculous nature, such as combining 10 unrelated fields into one job spec, and then when they “obviously” cannot find suitable local candidates, they go crying to the naive morons in Congress that they need “offshore talent” because they can’t find any here in the USA. Well, if you’re going to put out a job spec that seeks something along the lines of a “dentist, podiatrist, cardiologist, neurologist, proctologist, gynecologist, etc” all in one, then it’s no winder you won’t find anyone to fill it, not even by importing these H1-Bs’ from India because they are NOT the best and brightest from my personal experiences. I am an I.T. professional and have found myself having to deal with them and train them in the most rudimentary of things.

• hsc1 11/18/2009 9:12am

IMHO, the L1b is a bigger thread than the h1b, which are still a lot more tedious to obtain, require money and most companies will not file. Its mostly used by smaller consulting firms which then place their consultants in bigger client. They do take up American jobs, but most of the H1bs are US educated, or people with reasonable resumes. The H1b influx from India (freshers) has almost died out. The L1b is however a totally different story. 95 % of these visas are used by “outsourcing” firms. I work for one of their clients, and our IT dept has been decimated/destroyed by one of these firms and its swarm. Killing off the L1b program will stop the ability of these companies to place their employees onsite (which is highly highly valuable in the Knowledge transfer process), without which US based firms will not be too happy to outsource. This bill is pure genius. If passed, it will kill off the H1b consulting firms. Also will kill off/hinder outsourcing. Now only if it could pass.

sfcat 07/27/2010 4:35pm

I don’t know why you think most of the H1-B people are US trained. They aren’t. They have to already have a bachelors to enter, and they get to go to college free in India. I work as a consultant, and work inside many different companies every year, and I can tell you, they are all around, unfortunately. L1 is a huge problem, and both need to be eliminated or severely restricted, returning to the original intent, a small select group of the best and brightest to help in American innovation!

• KXS5020 04/28/2011 2:41pm

The people are VERY MUCH in favor of Durbin/Grassley bill 887. Who would be against reducing fraud and abuse other than employers and pimps that depend on fraud and abuse? It is unpatriotic and morally wrong to hire a foreigner over us citizen at any cost. As we can’t replace our politician with best and bright politician from other country so should not we replace our workers.

• KXS5020 04/28/2011 2:43pm