S.1549 - American Jobs Act of 2011

A bill to provide tax relief for American workers and businesses, to put workers back on the job while rebuilding and modernizing America, and to provide pathways back to work for Americans looking for jobs. view all titles (7)

• Popular: American Jobs Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to provide tax relief for American workers and businesses, to put workers back on the job while rebuilding and modernizing America, and to provide pathways back to work for Americans looking for jobs. as introduced.
  • Short: American Jobs Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Building and Upgrading Infrastructure for Long-Term Development Act as introduced.
  • Short: Fair Employment Opportunity Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Pathways Back to Work Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Supporting Unemployed Workers Act of 2011 as introduced.

Ajscott123 11/16/2011 10:52am

Can someone please rationally explain when one would oppose this bill? I’m currently reading through it so I haven’t decided my position but am glad to hear perspectives in the interim.

From what I understand so far, while this is a temporary band-aid but sure could improve infrastructure which I am all for.

Ajscott123 11/16/2011 10:49am
in reply to allyReport101 Nov 07, 2011 4:58am

Isn’t that unrelated to this bill?

allyReport101 11/07/2011 4:58am

If government debt is the problem, the us government’s debt is larger than the countries GDP, can someone explain, how asking the federal reserve to buy more of it’s own treasuries to finance even more federal spending is going to solve anything>?

nancym 10/16/2011 5:26am
in reply to nancym Oct 16, 2011 5:16am

Few would disagree that the far right’s biggest dream is that all the folks at OWS are so angry they won’t show up at the polls. Don’t fall into that box yourself. I think you’ll find that many in Liberty Park are also not falling for that.

I don’t care if someone calls themselves left or right or green or red. I don’t really use those terms to describe myself either, but it doesn’t mean I can’t talk in the abstract.

So you want to support ideas, not political parties especially. I think you’ll find that’s what I’ve been advocating for some time now. So vote for the issues, not the strait party ticket. Or run yourself. Of course, we could all act like kids and go out and eat worms, if you know that New England expression, but I prefer a more sane approach.

nancym 10/16/2011 5:16am
in reply to WasMiddleClass Oct 14, 2011 5:53pm

@"You really need to get out of that political box thinking my dear ;)"

If you persist in addressing me in that patronizing manner, Was, I won’t even bother to reply anymore. I’ve shot down your accusations of being “in a box” and you keep up the same meme in spite of acknowledging my lengthy reply. And then you go ahead and use the same language of left and right in your own post. That doesn’t make sense. The words “left” and “right,” even though terribly blurred in many contexts, still have understandable meaning in the English language, and in more countries than just the USA. And I don’t think you have the right to accuse me of “box thinking” if I use those common words. That box construction seems to be an assumption in your own head.

WasMiddleClass 10/14/2011 10:05pm

Be aware people.

I am posting this to make all views that use tinyurl.com to post links on boards such as this that don’t automatically shorten them, and make them clickable, and Twitter, that for the first time (of many) that I have used tinyurl, it is now being reported as “ Warning: Unsafe Website Blocked! “ by some web security companies.

I find it highly suspect that it just started after Amped Status starting using it to promote “Bank Transfer Day”: http://ampedstatus.org/remember-remember-the-5th-of-november-bank-transfer-day/

I along with many others have used tinyurl.com for a long time with no problems!

WHY NOW?

Many are digging into it as I post this.

WasMiddleClass 10/14/2011 5:53pm
in reply to nancym Oct 13, 2011 6:48pm

@"right wants the left to be"

You really need to get out of that political box thinking my dear ;)

Personally I’ll be damned before I categorize my self as left or right again, and I strongly stood in both (political) camps, at different times…

I support ideas on both sides. These days I support more so called “left” ones it seems, since the Republicans have turned into something they never were when I was one.

WasMiddleClass 10/14/2011 5:47pm
in reply to nancym Oct 13, 2011 6:49pm

I know nothing :)

nancym 10/13/2011 6:49pm
in reply to nancym Oct 13, 2011 6:48pm

Another thing that may have turned many off to these forums is that there is always some form of internal bickering going on that really has nothing to do with the issue at hand, and that REALLY get tiresome. Those involved will know who I mean. :)

nancym 10/13/2011 6:48pm
in reply to Liberata Oct 12, 2011 10:04pm

@Liberata

Well, several bills in the past few years have received literally thousands of comments, like those bills that extended long term unemployment benefits, and I think the healthcare bill, as well as the first big stimulus bill. So I don’t know if the “ennui” lately is due to some kind of blog fatigue, or general discouragement of those affected, or I think in some cases so many people have lost so much that they can no longer either afford the internet access or else they are just struggling to make ends meet working all kinds of hours on two-bit jobs that pay minimum wage.

And after a few years of constant online petitions and rallying cries that seem to have no effect on what Congress does or doesn’t do, I’m sure many are just fed up with sham politics altogether. It’s a shame, because that’s exactly what the right wants the left to be—uninvolved.

WasMiddleClass 10/12/2011 11:15pm
in reply to Liberata Oct 12, 2011 10:04pm

It seems like it is that way on many political sites now.

Maybe The People are giving up on politics now?

WasMiddleClass 10/12/2011 11:13pm

Don’t miss this one people.

Prepping for Job Losses from the Free Trade Deals
October 12, 2011 – by Donny Shaw

Liberata 10/12/2011 10:04pm
in reply to nancym Sep 24, 2011 4:31pm

I notice there aren’t many comments on any bills. I dont think this site is that active. It is very awesome that they’ve created this system though.

WasMiddleClass 10/12/2011 9:44pm
in reply to 99Survivor Oct 11, 2011 3:56pm

Yup. HR589 still gets more views…

WasMiddleClass 10/12/2011 9:42pm

Yeah, that will cause a short-term economic dislocation. It will also end the economic malaise and break the back of the financial class co-opting Washington DC.

Until it happens, our nation’s long, cold night will not end.

That is from a prominent conservative with CEO experience….

WasMiddleClass 10/12/2011 9:41pm

Go ahead folks, keep playing the GGG game. On the left or on the right. Pick one. Tea Party or the George Soros Party. Both are driving you to this to keep your eye off the ball.

The ball is the theft of this nation by a group of looters that inhabit both Wall Street and Washington DC, with a revolving door between them.

You want an enemy? Focus your energy on Bernanke, Geithner and our President, who supports them both and has said nothing about shutting down the looting.

You – America – You – can fix this tomorrow. Put 500,000 people around The Treasury and The Fed in Washington DC and refuse to leave until Geithner and Bernanke both resign and depart and the FDIC goes through all four of the largest banks, marks their “stuff” to market, and resolves all that are insolvent. Lay peaceful siege, MLK-style.

WasMiddleClass 10/12/2011 9:40pm
in reply to fiscalsocial Oct 11, 2011 6:54pm

Really?

I think this would be of interest to many viewers here.

I was asked by one of my “conservative” friends on another site this: “Why do I have to pay for higher medical insurance for people that do not have any. This is not fair!!!”

I replied with this,

Following 12,400% Price Hike in Drug Used to Treat Gout, Brown Urges Company to Rethink Decision, Calls on CMS to Investigate Ramifications

Drug Was Hiked From As Little As 4 Cents per Pill to $5 per Pill; For Average Gout Sufferer, Monthly Cost Has Soared From $2.40/Month to $300/Month or More

Approximately 3 Million Americans—Primarily Senior Citizens—Suffer From Gout; Company Stands to Sell $11 Billion Worth of Medication in First Year Alone

Who profits???

fiscalsocial 10/11/2011 6:54pm

The solution to create jobs for the prolonged future is through private enterprise, not temporary jobs that improve part of our infrastructure contracted by government. In the 1930’s our country was in a dire situation, similar, with a very high unemployment rate. The new deal resulted in temporary jobs that improved the infrastructure of our nation, not creating prolonged economic growth; World War II jump started that growth.

Currently businesses (of all sizes) are hesitant to expand operations because they don’t know how PPACA will affect the bottom line of their business.

Increased jobs in the private sector are the solution to our current problem, which will only happen when public policy leads organizations to do so.

Businesses want to expand their operations as much as the unemployed want jobs. Don’t forget corporations and our government are made up of people just like you and me. Don’t dehumanize these people because of issues and policy.

99Survivor 10/11/2011 3:56pm

Appears to be NO support for this bill. Really; 10/11 comments on this. Apparently the public, including the unemployed, saw this for what it was; a campaign ploy by current Admin.

WasMiddleClass 09/30/2011 11:15pm

For any viewers here, I will be posting news you may miss on the main stream media about Occupy Wall Street, and it’s rapid transformation to Occupy America, on HR 589.

WasMiddleClass 09/28/2011 11:20pm

Watch people!

WasMiddleClass 09/28/2011 10:20pm

Everyone should watch the story on Lawrence O’Donnell (I watched because I knew it was scheduled) about the occupy wall street protests tonight, and the high ranking police official that is being taken down for what he did, along with the first celebrity appearance.

I have refrained from talking about what has been in the planning of occupy wall street (and others) in many political places for a long time…for many reasons…

I will say that it was no accident that the media picked up that one video. There are more that are much higher quality also, if needed.

EVERYTHING is, and will be recorded.

The People can use high technology too…

Michael Moore is on board. So are other well known people from both the left and right.

It is only the beginning…and has been a long time coming.

nancym 09/28/2011 11:57am

Obama’s Jobs Plan Prevents Election-Year Recession in Survey of Economists

In the Bloomberg survey, Goldman Sachs Group Inc. estimated the plan would add 1.5 percent to the economy, while Macroeconomic Advisers LLC said 1.3 percent and UniCredit Research, up to 2 percent.

WasMiddleClass 09/25/2011 9:14pm
in reply to nancym Sep 24, 2011 4:31pm

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

But they say well over 90% of people on forums never post at all.

And most of the old timers I am still in touch with are damn tired of DC not giving a damn what we have to say….

I wonder where all the new 99ers are though. I know most of the movement were people that fought for most if not all of the extensions from the beginning, and now realize DC does not care about us, but there are many new 99ers out there somewhere.

One thing I do know is that many of the non political sites I frequent have memberships growing fast, and they are all mad as hell at DC.

And…I wonder why Yahoo blocked emails about Occupy Wall Street…

nancym 09/24/2011 4:31pm

Seems too bizarre to me that there are only 4 comments on this bill so far. I guess everyone is just a bit fatigued with all the fighting and no action in Congress?

WasMiddleClass 09/24/2011 1:16am

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.”

John F. Kennedy
WasMiddleClass 09/22/2011 12:06am

Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise (VIDEO)

…While the protest’s organizers had stressed that they wanted this to be a peaceful occupation, tensions have flared between the occupation and the cops assigned to keep order downtown. The group Anonymous claimed that cops have increased their presence and stolen recording equipment from some of the protesters.

You can see from this video that things are getting a little rough, as cops and protesters seem to be filming each other, waiting for each to make one false move…

WasMiddleClass 09/22/2011 12:04am

Be careful what you wish for….

Mayor Bloomberg warned Friday there would be riots in the streets if Washington doesn’t get serious about generating jobs.

“We have a lot of kids graduating college, can’t find jobs,” Bloomberg said on his weekly WOR radio show.

“That’s what happened in Cairo. That’s what happened in Madrid. You don’t want those kinds of riots here.”

MNVoice 09/17/2011 2:35pm

I just wrote the following message to my representative Erik Paulsen and I encourage all Minnesotans and in fact all Americans, both in and outside government, to support this bill:
Please pass the American Jobs Act. It’s an important effort, one that all Americans can feel proud supporting, to improve the conditions of our country. For those who scoff at the government’s presence in the economy sector, remember that it was the government’s absence which allowed businesses and banks to drag us into this situation. The economy can’t grow if people aren’t working, and this bill extends that opportunity to people who need it. Please represent more American voices than just our small corner of Eden Prairie- not everyone is so fortunate nor nearly as prosperous.

Send Your Senator a Letter