H.R.2598 - STEM Master Teacher Corps Act
To establish a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Master Teacher Corps program. view all titles (2)
All Bill Titles
- Official: To establish a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Master Teacher Corps program. as introduced.
- Short: STEM Master Teacher Corps Act as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 2
- Past Seven Days: 5
- All-Time: 2,456
Official SummarySTEM Master Teacher Corps Act - Amends the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 to direct the Secretary of Education to award competitive, matching five-year grants to consortia of local educational agencies (LEAs) or states, acting in partnership with institutions of higher educa
Official SummarySTEM Master Teacher Corps Act - Amends the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 to direct the Secretary of Education to award competitive, matching five-year grants to consortia of local educational agencies (LEAs) or states, acting in partnership with institutions of higher education or nonprofit organizations to establish a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) Master Teacher Corps program. Requires grantees to:
(1) select exemplary elementary and secondary school STEM teachers for membership in the STEM Master Teacher Corps;
(2) provide those teachers with compensation that supplements their base salaries;
(3) provide, and track the effectiveness of, research-based training for Corps members;
(4) provide discretionary resources for Corps members at high-need schools to use;
(5) help coordinate instructional leadership and mentoring roles for Corps members; and
(6) facilitate efforts by Corps members to inform STEM education policy at the national, state, and local levels. Gives grant priority to applicants that intend to include:
(1) large numbers of teachers in the STEM Master Teacher Corps; and
(2) rural schools, particularly high-need rural schools, in the area they serve. Requires grantees to ensure that at least 75% of their STEM Master Teacher Corps are teachers at high-need schools. Directs the Secretary, acting through the Director of the Institute of Education Sciences, to:
(1) evaluate the STEM Master Teacher Corps program;
(2) identify optimal strategies for designing and advancing such program; and
(3) identify best practices for developing, supporting, and retaining STEM teachers based on lessons learned from the program.
...Read the Rest
Latest Letters to Congress
H.R.2598 STEM Master Teacher Corps Act
July 28, 2011
I am writing as your constituent in the 5th Congressional district of New Jersey. I support H.R.2598 - STEM Master Teacher Corps Act, and am tracking it using OpenCongress.org, the free public resource website for government transparency and accountability.
If you have time please let me know your position regarding this important issue.