H.R.3548 - Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009

To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (6)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as passed house.

nancym 09/12/2009 9:11am

Thanks NGOL! I’ll keep that in mind if the situation ever comes up again for some kind of related job.

Patriots 09/12/2009 8:29am

If it is EUC, are the benefit year requirements the same as were amended previously for EB,

nancym 09/12/2009 8:43am

Yes, the benefit year is scratched by definition in the bill.

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 8:46am

what u mean ben year is scratched..that mostly everony will get it…

also anything about they will take it away…tried calling his office to find out…i just dont wanna be out of money i wont be able to support myself

nancym 09/12/2009 9:04am

That means that you don’t have to worry about a benefit year rule cutoff. There was a lot of discussion last winter about possible cutoffs for anyone whose benefit year started after a certain date, but the ARRA bill eliminated that possibility and so EB was available to anyone exhausting EUC.

Remember that people newly laid off are given a “benefit year” that is one year from the date of their original application for regular benefits. There was a cutoff date around mid 2006 for who would qualify for the new EUC law back in 2008. Otherwise everyone in the whole country who EVER collected unemployment would have been eligible for the new Tiers!

The definition for eligibility (for those in qualifying states) in this new bill is that you have to have used up EB benefits (or be be about to in the near future).

jgallop 09/12/2009 8:46am

OHIOEB love your dog by the way I’m watching Glen Beck , he’s beginning to make a lot of sense everyone, I thought he was rather radical but making sense now. How can we change NAFTA to bring our jobs back? There’s gotta be a way, that’s the only way we will all be working again , ever…..

• ohionoeb 09/12/2009 7:32am

Off Topic:

ANTI-TAX TEA PARTY..is now on Fox News ..

Hundreds of Thousands have gather right now and are getting ready to March to Washington DC at 1:00 est .. the Crowd is HUGE..
    Patriots 09/12/2009 7:51am

Too bad those on that side are the ones most against unemployment benefits.

ohionoeb 09/12/2009 8:20am

Apparently you are not watching it ..or you wouldn’t have posted that comment ..

The repoters that talk to the people are ..white ,black,women,men from all walks of life.. farmers ,doctors, marines, the young and old ..standing up and saying ….enough with the Spending ,enough with Taxes , enough of with the deficit.. ENOUGH WITH BIG GOVERMENT

Patriots 09/12/2009 8:34am

I am not watching. It is probably only on cable anyways which I no longer have. My point was that the far right, which the tea party seems to represent (I do agree with SOME of their ideas) have always been the ones most against things like unemployment benefits.

Patriots 09/12/2009 8:37am

That is where the biggest contradiction seems to be. How do we have a government that does not get too involved with our lives, but at the same time helps people when the truly need it.

Serendipity 09/13/2009 1:22pm

“But they had their day. They didn’t do any damage or hurt anyone. So now they will all disperse back to their homes, cash their social security or unemployment checks (socialism!), run to the pharmacy to get their Medicare prescriptions refilled (socialism!) and bitch about that evil black man in the White House who wants to make sure ALL Americans enjoy the same stuff THEY have.”

Serendipity 09/13/2009 11:35am

Umm, as usual the Wingnuts exaggerate, more like 60 or 70kK, if that.

Plus, these they dumped all their rubbish on the ground, including American flags for the PUBLIC WORKERS to clean up.
    ‘Classy’ bunch, I must say.

• Patriots 09/12/2009 7:41am

Here are the states this and those other bills do NOTHING to help. I suppose we all have plenty of jobs, WRONG.

Alaska Arkansas Colorado

South Dakota
    Texas
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Wyoming

Patriots 09/12/2009 7:44am

I wonder how many unemployed people we have total there.

nancym 09/12/2009 8:24am

Patriots, remember PA is the exception here, as discussed last night, due to that odd IUR change in the law.

Patriots 09/12/2009 8:39am

Yes, I forgot. I read it quick.

• NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 7:43am

Patriots, I noticed they revised CT’s figures to April 7.8, May 7.9 and June 7.9 which would justify their average of 7.9 (7.86 rounded up to 7.9) last month. I think someone screwed up the math on that last month and they were all covering for that person and then revised the figures to shut everyone up. Remember I said back then that I bet they would revise the figures to cover themselves?

Patriots 09/12/2009 7:47am

Yes they dropped three months on us. I guess you missed the conversation on that here. Strange coincidence that those were the months I was questioning huh?

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 7:52am

Well, it was weird that they kept saying it came out to 7.93 so they rounded down to 7.9 when it actually came out to 7.96. But now it comes out to 7.86 which would round up to 7.9. I think that formula they gave you was a bunch of bull to cover themselves because all the other states were simply add up the 3 months, divide by 3 and round up or down based on the 2nd decimal.

Patriots 09/12/2009 8:00am

A bunch of us went over the formula, and the numbers. When we got to top of BLS magically CT and only CT’s unemployment numbers were lowered for three months because of an “error”.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 8:04am

I sitll think it was someone’s screw up in simple math (they seemed to have someone other than the usual person doing it at that time because I had noticed other inconsistencies in the list – like the ones that went onto to 20 weeks still said 13) and, of course, the government can’t ever admit they are wrong unless it is in their favor. I am not paranoid but I do think there are a lot of government cover-ups and misdirections going on in the world.

Patriots 09/12/2009 8:08am

It also seems pretty clear from what multiple sources are saying that they are playing with lots of numbers to make things appear better than they really are, in an attempt to boost consumer confidence I would assume.

• abbondanza23 09/12/2009 8:02am

McDermott is on the money, and I am really encouraged he heard the voice of the people and moved so quickly. That is how the government should operate.

We need traffic on this site, on this page for this bill, it barely comes up in Google right now.

Everyone should post this somewhere so people can be aware of it and bring attention to it!

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 8:05am

abbondanza please realize that there is the reed bill which is the same thing isnt it thats going to be addressed on the 15th of sept

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 8:13am

I posted something the other day on 3404 -
    Upon receipt of such a message from the Senate, the Speaker refers the measures contained therein to appropriate committees. If, however, a substantially similar House bill already has been favorably reported by a committee, the Senate bill, unless it creates a charge upon the Treasury, may remain on the Speaker’s table instead of being referred to committee. It may subsequently be taken up or its text may be substituted for that of the House bill when consideration of the latter occurs.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 8:14am

So if the Senate passes S1647 and sends it to the House, the House can substitute this bill since it is similiar and I think it wouldn’t have to be revoted on by the Senate.

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 8:19am

Nogoodone

yea if you look here

go down to tue the 15 finance you will see thats the reed bill

im sorry but im really nervous i cant find a job i put in for 200+ and im afraid nys will get only a couple of weeks and we will get screwed

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 8:34am

I understand. I run out 10/4. If a new extension isn’t passed by mid-October, I will be living in my car (which is starting to fall apart since I can’t afford to maintain it) come 11/1.

2096 in favor / 373 opposed