H.R.6081 - Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Reauthorization Act of 2010
To amend the Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act of 2005. view all titles (3)
All Bill Titles
- Official: To amend the Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act of 2005. as introduced.
- Short: Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Reauthorization Act of 2010 as introduced.
- Short: Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Reauthorization Act of 2010 as reported to house.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 1
- Past Seven Days: 2
- All-Time: 4,040
Official SummaryStem Cell Therapeutic and Research Reauthorization Act of 2010 - (Sec. 2) Amends the Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act of 2005 to revise provisions related to the National Cord Blood Inventory (the Inventory), including to establish an inventory goal of at least 150,000 new units of co
Official SummaryStem Cell Therapeutic and Research Reauthorization Act of 2010 -
(Sec. 2)Amends the Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act of 2005 to revise provisions related to the National Cord Blood Inventory (the Inventory), including to establish an inventory goal of at least 150,000 new units of cord blood to be made available under the C.W. Bill Young Cell Transplantation Program (the Program). (Currently, the number of units of cord blood is capped at 150,000.) Revises application requirements for cord blood banks participating in the Inventory to require such banks to:
(1) make assurances that cord blood units will be available for direct transplantation until it is released for transplantation for a first degree relative;
(2) participate in the Program for a period of at least ten years, beginning on the last date on which the recipient receives federal funds under a contract;
(3) provide a plan to increase cord blood unit collections at collection sites that exist at the time of application, assist with the establishment of new collection sites, or contract with new collection sites; and
(4) annually provide to the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) a plan for, and demonstrate, ongoing measurable progress toward achieving self-sufficiency of cord blood unit collection and banking operations. Revises the requirements for a contract extension to make a qualified cord blood bank eligible for a five-year extension if the bank demonstrates a superior ability to satisfy the requirements of the contract and achieve the overall goals for which the contract was awarded. Redefines the term \"first-degree relative\" to exclude a parent. Authorizes appropriations for FY2011-FY2015 for the Inventory. Amends the Public Health Service Act to require the Program to support and expand studies and demonstration and outreach projects that focus on:
(1) remote collection of cord blood units; and
(2) novel approaches or incentives to encourage innovative technological advances that could be used to collect cord blood units. Defines \"remote collection\" to mean the collection of cord blood units at locations that do not have written contracts with cord blood banks for collection support. Requires the Secretary to:
(1) set an annual goal of increasing collections of high quality cord blood units;
(2) identify at least one demonstration or outreach project to replicate and expand nationwide, as appropriate; and
(3) submit a plan for meeting such goal to the relevant congressional committees if no such project can be identified. Revises privacy requirements to protect the identity and privacy of patients and donors in accordance with federal and state law. Requires the Secretary to submit an interim report to Congress within 180 days of enactment of this Act describing:
(1) the methods to distribute federal funds to cord blood banks;
(2) how cord blood banks contract with collection sites for the collection of cord blood units; and
(3) recommendations for improving the methods to distribute federal funds to encourage the efficient collection of high-quality and diverse cord blood units. Directs the Advisory Council on Blood Stem Cell Transplantation to submit recommendations to the Secretary with respect to remote collection of cord blood units. Authorizes appropriations for FY2011-FY2015 to carry out the Program. Directs the Comptroller General to submit to the relevant congressional committees and the Secretary a report reviewing studies, demonstration programs, and outreach efforts for the purpose of increasing cord blood unit donation and collection for the Inventory to ensure a high-quality and genetically diverse inventory of cord blood units.
...Read the Rest