H.R.6278 - Data Center Optimization Act
To optimize Federal data center usage and efficiency. view all titles (2)
All Bill Titles
- Official: To optimize Federal data center usage and efficiency. as introduced.
- Short: Data Center Optimization Act as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 1
- Past Seven Days: 1
- All-Time: 624
Official SummaryData Center Optimization Act - Directs the chief information officer of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) (Federal CIO) to: (1) develop and implement an initiative to optimize the usage and efficiency of federal data centers, (2) submit to Congress a consolidated plan for implementa
Official SummaryData Center Optimization Act - Directs the chief information officer of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) (Federal CIO) to:
(1) develop and implement an initiative to optimize the usage and efficiency of federal data centers,
(2) submit to Congress a consolidated plan for implementation of the initiative by each agency, and
(3) submit a consolidated report each year that assesses agency progress in carrying out the initiative and that updates such plan. Requires agency implementation plans to:
(1) include descriptions of how agencies will use reductions in floor space, energy use, infrastructure, equipment, applications, personnel, increases in multi-organizational use, and other appropriate methods to meet initiative requirements; and
(2) be included in, and consistent with, the President's annual budget submission materials. Requires each agency included in the initiative to:
(1) meet or exceed 75% average server utilization in agency data centers by 2015;
(2) achieve an average power utilization effectiveness for its data centers of 1.2 or less by 2015;
(3) establish methods to obtain accurate data to measure power utilization effectiveness;
(4) use desktop virtualization with existing workstations to the extent practicable; and
(5) give high priority to replacement of data center servers and other information technology equipment with more efficient equipment, using a baseline including the physical to virtual consolidation ratio and other criteria developed by the Federal CIO. Authorizes the establishment at the Department of Defense (DOD) of a pilot program aimed at researching innovation ways to achieve full metering. Requires such agencies to:
(1) track costs and savings resulting from implementation of the initiative and report on those costs and savings annually to the Federal CIO,
(2) determine net costs and net savings from data consolidation on an annual basis,
(3) use the most cost effective measures to implement the initiative,
(4) use resulting savings to offset implementation costs and to further enhance information technology capabilities and services, and
(5) report to the Federal CIO annually on the initiative's implementation.
...Read the Rest